PDA

View Full Version : problems saving images in IE

stamp92
23-07-2003, 14:48
for some reason i have a problem on both my pc's now with saving images in IE. It is really bugging me.

there is i hope a simple fix. i am baffled though by what could be causing it.

i remember in the days of windows 95/98 etc that sometimes id have problems saving as JPG in paint but this would be fixed when i installed microsoft office. im sure somebody could probably fill me in on what actually would fix those problems.

my problem now tho as i say is with IE. it will only save as BMP. Its so annoying. help plz.

thanks in advance :)

Stuart W
23-07-2003, 14:54
What version of Windows and what version of IE?

chambece
23-07-2003, 15:14
I've had this recently too but I'm really not sure what is causing it, or how to solve it.

If you have a link to a jpg image, r-click on it and select save as, it saves it as a jpg, if you click on it, it displays it, but you are then only allowed to save it as a bitmap....

Strange.

I've attached a file to this to see if it does it....

EDIT: Unfortunatly, it does not.

I have a feeling it must be something to do with either file extensions or some markup problems.

It's perhaps like if you have an AOL ART file, double click and it says I don't what to do with it.

Drag it into IE, and it displays it. But it still allows you to save it as ART, so not quite the same

stamp92
23-07-2003, 15:33
Originally posted by Stuart W
What version of Windows and what version of IE?
Windows XP Home
Internet Explorer 6
Thanks
Originally posted by chambece
If you have a link to a jpg image, r-click on it and select save as, it saves it as a jpg, if you click on it, it displays it, but you are then only allowed to save it as a bitmap....

I can't even get round the problem that way. Only option is BMP.
I have just reinstalled Windows on my PC upstairs which has XP home on it too and the problem isnt there. I will probably if no other solution is suggested reinstall Windows on my laptop.

dingosar
23-07-2003, 15:56
it looks like your jpeg file type is missing try this...........

Open your pictures folder
Click Tools select Folder options , select File types then
select NEW and then enter the file type that you want in your case JPEG click ok , and thats it

nogger
23-07-2003, 16:39
Ah-ha!!!! Now. I had a silly thing happen earlier today with images and IE 6.

I was browsing the 'net for info on mojobikes - I'm in the market for a new (2nd-hand) one - and was looking at pics.

Having downloaded a diddy one and zoomed it in using the picture viewer in XP Home, I then clicked on one on the 'net that should have opened in a new window in IE.

Instead, it tried to open in the picture viewer and refused to do so. Moaned about "preview not available". Refreshing the page in IE cured it.

(My typing's gone to pot!!!)