PDA

View Full Version : Machine problem (STB)

JRR_talking
23-07-2003, 14:34
Anybody offer suggestions here please.

I have had broadband ever since it hit Derby (maybe 9 months) and have constantly had problems with it. It goes through an STB and when the engineers came to fit it it would not work on my main PC. They tried for 3 hours and it sort of worked very slowly (ie much slower than a 56k modem). Nothing via USB and this slow via network card. When they left I finally got it working on a very old PC running Win98.

Eventually I got it too work on my newer PC via network card. It always seemed a bit wobbly and maybe 2/3 of month would chug along nicely and just die back to speed above for rest of time. This was under windows ME. Whenever I installed anything new on my machine hardware-wise it would also grind for 7 to 10 days.

I have put XP on the machine now about 14 days ago and it will not get above grind speed. The CS folk tried lots of stuff, including sending a new †˜hit/spikeââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ to STB so I re-registered via the 10. IP address at start.ntl.. The CS seemed to say the signals were all ok up to hitting my machine and then they died. They suggested it was something to do with my machine, and I think I am beginning to agree (machine has always been ok otherwise and I even had it networked ok to older PC as mentioned above). Last night I attached a P133 laptop to my STB and it worked fine and dandy and downloaded stuff at 70kb/sec and such.

Does anybody have a clue what bit of my machine is causing the hiccups. I guess there could be many things. I have tried the following all to no effect
-3 different network cards
-3 different cd roms
-attempt via all its USB ports
-pulled out everything hardware-wise I dare do
-defragged hard-drive
-tested lots of cyber-tweaks, changed proxy, speed testers, optimisers etc.

considering cancelling broadband from August if it wont work on my machine.

Anybody any intial thoughts, I can expand on machine specs and things I have tried if needs be

John

1st post on any version of nthellworld.xx hope it is ok

ZrByte
23-07-2003, 14:44
You havent really told us anything else about the machine at fault here.
It could be any number of things, my bet is on a flakey motherboard or at least an improperly configured one.
But since you havent told us what motherboard you have, how old it is etc I cant help much.

If you could give us a more detailed spec of your machine that would be Bonza :D

Oh and if you could mention if there are any onboard components that would be a help too :D

EDIT: Let me be the first to say Welcome to NTHW :welcome: