03-06-2004, 18:12
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?table

Incog. :)

Paul
03-06-2004, 18:17
I use Network Associates (McAfee) which passed on all Windows and Netware. :tu:

Chris W
03-06-2004, 18:26
I think the most important factor when considering how useful an AV program is is whether it is updated. If you AV software is out of date, regardless of whether it is supposed to be the best on the market it is useless.

Oh and btw why is win2k not on the list :mad:

paulyoung666
03-06-2004, 18:28
I think the most important factor when considering how useful an AV program is is whether it is updated. If you AV software is out of date, regardless of whether it is supposed to be the best on the market it is useless.

Oh and btw why is win2k not on the list :mad:

or xp home , or dont that count :D :D :D :D :D

Maggy
03-06-2004, 18:35
You will have to ask Virus Bulletin. ;)

paulyoung666
03-06-2004, 18:38
You will have to ask Virus Bulletin. ;)

i dont know , these ppl who post threads and dont have the answers , it beggars belief :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: ;) :D

Maggy
03-06-2004, 18:41
i dont know , these ppl who post threads and dont have the answers , it beggars belief :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: ;) :D

Well I posted in the belief that it was an interesting site.Got you to look didn't it? :p:

paulyoung666
03-06-2004, 18:46
Well I posted in the belief that it was an interesting site.Got you to look didn't it? :p:

it did indeed , and avast has not let me down yet so it is :tu: to them :D :D :D :D

Matth
03-06-2004, 23:14
They only test one platform at a time, and the free view of their test results doesn't tell you much...

One missed virus is a fail, as is one false alarm, so the all or nothing pass/fail doesn't tell you much (though you'd be suspicious of something that never passed).

And, of course, an antivirus is only as good as its last update - and with the speed of worm spreading these days, another important point (which ought to be benchmarked somehow) is the speed of response.

I suppose a false alarm is a good reason to fail a test, as it can waste time, and result in un-needed and possibly destructive "cleanup".

MovedGoalPosts
04-06-2004, 00:21
Hmm, Panda software are not tested in that list, yet I'd rate them quite highly.

Nothing has got through into our office since installation well over three years ago. Yes we do get piles of email from all sorts of sources and do get numerous infected mails which are dealt with on entry to the network. I dont' see evidence of fals alarms either. On occasion when I've needed it tech support has been there by email and phone.

However, critical to all this and I suspect the real reason for our success is the daily automated updates of virus definitions to both server and all workstations. What's more if something really nasty is developing in the world the free email warnings they send give me foreward planning of any M$ patches or whatever I might need to do.

Maggy
04-06-2004, 11:34
I just posted this as a reminder that a little bit of research should go on before you pick an AV.That FREE is not necessarily the way to go.

Anyway if you click on the individual products it does give you a detailed enough insight as to whether you need to re-evaluate your AV or not.Even those who do get an AV need to check from time to time if their product is parfoming relatively well.

After all there are still enough folk out there STILL sending me infected mail.I'm sure not all of them are running without any kind of protection and maybe their AV has let them down.

Incog.

TheBlueRaja
04-06-2004, 12:37
Yeah, thanks Incog, (a cunning stab to my heart there).

I was only trying to help by pointing out to people that there are free alternatives out there and that some of them are quite good. I stick by my threads, they are good FREE alternatives, and if you note even the likes of Norton has failed a few tests itself.

I'm still happy with Avast and Sygate, both are free and have not let me down yet.

greencreeper
04-06-2004, 15:14
No mention of DOS neither :( I use F-Prot for DOS. The windows versions did alright though.

Maggy
04-06-2004, 15:20
Yeah, thanks Incog, (a cunning stab to my heart there).

I was only trying to help by pointing out to people that there are free alternatives out there and that some of them are quite good. I stick by my threads, they are good FREE alternatives, and if you note even the likes of Norton has failed a few tests itself.

I'm still happy with Avast and Sygate, both are free and have not let me down yet.

Hey I'm not digging at any threads you posted.I just thought it might be helpful to some of the members here. :)

TheBlueRaja
04-06-2004, 16:17
Sorry,
It was your emphasis on FREE that made me think you were questioning my threads there for a while.

I should have know that somebody of your mighty wisdom would not resort to such tactics. :D