PDA

View Full Version : Cracking FREE Antivirus Proggy

TheBlueRaja
02-06-2004, 18:52
I just got my hands on Avast Antivirus from http://www.avast.com/i_idt_153.html and i have to say its pretty damn good for a freebie (for home users).

Main features
ANTIVIRUS KERNEL

- Almost 100% detection
- Outstanding performance
- Reasonable memory requirements
- ICSA certified

USER INTERFACE

- Memory test during the program startup
- Very intuitive Simple User Interface
- Testing whole disks or selected folders
- Working with the scan results - actions with infected files
- Virus encyclopedia
- Log Viewer
- Various appearances - skin support
- Running from Explorer context menu
- Antivirus screen-saver

UPDATES

- The system of incremental updates guarantees low traffic
- The updates can be completely automatic

RESIDENT PROTECTION

- Standard Shield protects the file system
- Generic SMTP/POP3/IMAP4 scanner
- Specific MS Outlook plugin
- Heuristic analysis in e-mail modules

REPAIRING

- Limited capability of direct repair (especially macroviruses)
- Repairing files using automatically generated Virus Recovery Database (VRDB)

PLATFORMS

- Windows 95
- Windows 98
- Windows Me
- Windows NT 4
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP

Currently i cant fault it - seems better than Norton Anitvirus for me.

Paul K
02-06-2004, 18:55
I use AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php) personally but I have heard good things about Avast :)

paulyoung666
02-06-2004, 18:56
been using avast for a while and i reckon it is well worth it , considering it is free :D :D :D :D

TheBlueRaja
02-06-2004, 19:11
I use AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php) personally but I have heard good things about Avast :)

I was using AVG for a while and Norton before that, but gave it up after i heard some bad things about AVG, nothing concrete though i have to admit.

But honestly matey - this IS better. Try it - see what you think - its free after all. :D

kronas
02-06-2004, 19:12
i wonder if it ACTUALLY protects you efficiently, im a skeptic of 'free' programs.

Scrubbs
02-06-2004, 19:16
I have been using AVG for ages but..... I still use the TREND online one for double checking

paulyoung666
02-06-2004, 20:01
i wonder if it ACTUALLY protects you efficiently, im a skeptic of 'free' programs.

dont be so sceptical , it works :tu: ;) :)

aliferste
02-06-2004, 20:15
What sthe difference between this one and AVG?

paulyoung666
02-06-2004, 20:30

from my point of view it just seems to pick up more unwanted crap than avg ever did , maybe it is subjective though :D :D :D :D

TheBlueRaja
02-06-2004, 20:42

I cant quantifiy it for you - but if you install it you will see right away the difference in quality if anything.

Also, it updates daily as soon as you boot up its off looking for updates etc.

And generally its much more feature packed, as it will integrate with IM clients and P2P software as well.

Like i say - try it - you can always uninstall it, and it wont cost you a penny, AND you wont have to uninstall AVG first.

paulyoung666
02-06-2004, 20:55
I cant quantifiy it for you - but if you install it you will see right away the difference in quality if anything.

Also, it updates daily as soon as you boot up its off looking for updates etc.

And generally its much more feature packed, as it will integrate with IM clients and P2P software as well.

Like i say - try it - you can always uninstall it, and it wont cost you a penny, AND you wont have to uninstall AVG first.

and i will second that post as well :tu: :)

MikeyB
02-06-2004, 21:14
I've swapped from AVG to Avast in the past 2 weeks after AVG let me down :mad:

Seems really good to me, at least it found the viruses AVG missed :td:

As theblueraja said, the updates actually work, and it updates when you connect, not at a set time.
I like the email checker as well, works with Outlook Express and the full Outlook, and even with that awful IncrediMail that my Mum insists on using!!!!

homealone
02-06-2004, 21:37
<snip> AND you wont have to uninstall AVG first.

will it work alongside any other AV, tbr?

I'm using EZ Antivirus atm - the years free trial that came with the MS Security Update CD & that has been good - updates usually daily, but I'd like to evaluate some others for when the time comes to pay. ;)

TheBlueRaja
02-06-2004, 22:40
Well, yeah,
Just Spybot S&D will work with Ad-Aware.

At least im not aware of an issue with running the both of them, correct me if im wrong guys.

Shaun
02-06-2004, 23:02
I've always thought you should only have one AV running as they can upset each other, like firewalls can.

Russ
02-06-2004, 23:05
From experience, having more than one firewall or AV can be a nightmare as they are prone to arguing like women over what to allow, what not to allow etc.

Ramrod
02-06-2004, 23:06
Well, yeah,
Just Spybot S&D will work with Ad-Aware.

At least im not aware of an issue with running the both of them, correct me if im wrong guys.Yes, there is an issue with running adaware with spybot, afaikFrom experience, having more than one firewall or AV can be a nightmare as they are prone to arguing like women over what to allow, what not to allow etc.Very PC of you Russ :D

TheBlueRaja
02-06-2004, 23:11
Yes, there is an issue with running adaware with spybot, afaik

Well, a bad example then, but thats why i asked for you to point out my errors... ;)

:notopic: What is the probem with them BTW - i thought they were fine together?

Shaun
02-06-2004, 23:15
If you have ad-aware (or maybe spy-bot) set to search inside compressed files then it finds the others definitions and classes them as "bad" and ends up corrupting its opponent I believe. I think thats what that splash screen says.

Matth
03-06-2004, 23:26
If you run more than one antivirus, ONLY ONE should be providing resident protection (on access).
It may also be faster if you deactivate the on-access protection before scanning with other programs.

There used to be major issues in finding each others definitions, but current AV programs generally use database formats that resist that problem.

Ramrod
03-06-2004, 23:29
Well, a bad example then, but thats why i asked for you to point out my errors... ;)

:notopic: What is the probem with them BTW - i thought they were fine together?I dunno m8....ask spybot....they are the ones that give (or used to give) a warning about running spybot with adaware installed :shrug:

Mal
03-06-2004, 23:38
I dunno m8....ask spybot....they are the ones that give (or used to give) a warning about running spybot with adaware installed :shrug:
The warning was only that adaware might spot something in the spybot quarentine(sp?) and delete it.

aliferste
08-06-2004, 21:32
RIGHT, I wiped AVG to try this avast and i noticed a "small print" thingus that said you must reregister every two weeks to continue getting updates???? :erm:

iadom
08-06-2004, 22:05
I dunno m8....ask spybot....they are the ones that give (or used to give) a warning about running spybot with adaware installed :shrug:
Nothing serious, funny that Adaware and Pest Patrol don't give any warnings about Spybot or each other.