PDA

View Full Version : Which option? [changing from STB BB to SACM]

BIGZIPZ
02-06-2004, 01:03
Hey, I am going to phone them up and demand a cable modem, instead of my settopbox, I am a bit overwhelmed as to which department I should contact. Any suggestions? Also what can i expect to be told when i ask for a modem?

Marge
02-06-2004, 01:12
Hey, why are you DEMANDING a cable modem ????

BIGZIPZ
02-06-2004, 01:27
My set-top-box needs rebooting all the time, and when I am using all my down speed and up speed, the tv service really lags, especialy changing channels and loading interactive service. Unless it's always laggy? TV hangs alot too, which wont resolve without a reboot. When i was on Telewest, I remember being disconnected only a couple of times in 12 month period, with this Box, its several times daily, when I call customer services, its always a problem with my computer, the usual excuse it Zone Alarm, never there box, or so they say (I tried a clean install of my brand new pc, with nothing else running but windows xp default stuff, and the same thing happened)
Some guy on another forum told me the keys to get to the fault log in the engineers menu, using the remote control, everytime my connection fails, it says "Cable modem ranging failure" when I quoted this to customer services I was told it was a technicians matter, and they would forward it to them, and they would call me back. That was in March. No call ever received :/

BBKing
02-06-2004, 08:20
Drop me a note with your STB MAC address or smart card number and I'll see if anything looks amiss from our end. Shouldn't be rebooting that often.

Bill C
02-06-2004, 08:22
Hey, I am going to phone them up and demand a cable modem, instead of my settopbox, I am a bit overwhelmed as to which department I should contact. Any suggestions? Also what can i expect to be told when i ask for a modem?

If you can let us know which area you are in someone might be able to help you. And that was not a demand :D

jonifen
02-06-2004, 23:45
I see that you dont get the 50% speed increase if you use an STB but you will if you use a SACM. Calling customer services and asking them nicely will get a nice reply. We're getting one installed tomorrow for 2 reasons:
1. tv box is running very slow and crashes a lot or runs extremely laggy
2. 50% free speed increase (seems unfair that other people get this and pay the same price as me, yet I dont get it... its like I'm funding their downloads in a way)

Bill C
02-06-2004, 23:53
I see that you dont get the 50% speed increase if you use an STB but you will if you use a SACM. Calling customer services and asking them nicely will get a nice reply. We're getting one installed tomorrow for 2 reasons:
2. 50% free speed increase (seems unfair that other people get this and pay the same price as me, yet I dont get it... its like I'm funding their downloads in a way)

From where do you get the info that stb users will not get the increase in speed.

Tezcatlipoca
02-06-2004, 23:56

The lack of speed increase for STB users is for Telewest, *not* NTL.

NTL STB BB customers will apparently get the speed increase - even those on the 1Mb service.

See here for a post about this by BBKIng: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=223666&postcount=468

(that is not the only post from an NTL person to say this)

Main Speed Increase thread: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=11564