PDA

View Full Version : Two Tier Overtime System

blackthorn
22-07-2003, 22:10
At the place where I work the manager has decided to introduce a two tier overtime system.
There are 2 rates of pay, one for the people who regularly work ot and one for the people who only work ot occasionaly.
This week I`ve worked overtime on 2 days and been informed that I only qualify for the lower rate because I only do it occasionaly.
I asked him, when do I move to the higher rate and was told, when I`ve done regular overtime for a few weeks.
There is no union where I work , so I cant ask them for a clearer definition. Do you think this is fair?

Tricky
22-07-2003, 22:14
Are you doing overtime out of choice and because it suits you or is your company asking you to do it?

IMO - If through choice this is probably fair as you are in theory supplementing your salary rightly or wrongly. On the flip side if the company is getting "honest" overtime and not slacking around making up a few hours then they should reward you fairly.

blackthorn
22-07-2003, 22:22
All overtime is voluntary, I`m only doing it to help pay for my holiday.
My beef is, I already work 6 days a week 50 hours a week(contracted hours) but the ones who do the regular overtime, only work between 30-35 hours 5 days a week, so they dont mind doing 12 hour days, knowing they`ve got 2 days off at the end of the week, whereas I havent.

Tricky
22-07-2003, 22:26
I believe there is a law that should stop you working on average more than 48 hours per week (don't know the average period) - what are you contracted to work?

blackthorn
22-07-2003, 22:37
Unfortunately, I`ve opted out of that. It`s a case of opt out or my day to day bosses who I am subcontracted to, ask the actual company who I work for to find me alternative job elsewhere, which they would (about a 100 miles away).
It`s becoming quite common nowadays, for large companys to subcontract the normal day to day jobs out to other companys, so if they ever need to get rid of someone, all they have to do is tell the subcontracter to remove a certain person from the site.
So in affect, they are not sacking anyone, the subcontracter then finds alternative employment in a place they know the person cannot get to and he ends up quitting.
So, in a nutshell, we have all signed a bit of paper (quite legal) that we all voluntarilly opt out of the 48 hour working week.
We have to or risk being moved 100`s miles away.