PDA

View Full Version : My little drama

Mark W
22-07-2003, 18:39
well, as some of you know i recently bought a scooter, and as it was an impulse buy, got it before getting my provisional licence.

So, down to the post office i go, and get a form to get said provisional licence.
All is going swimmingly, until the bit where is says "passport or birth certificate req"...ahhh :erm:.....

Ive not seen my birth certificate for years - safe to say that is long gone. no problem, ive got my passport - except after tearing my house apart to find it, it dawns on me i dont i dont - looks like the sock monster nabbed it.

On the phone i go, to have a word with the rude, unhelpful ignorant fool at the password office. well, more than a word - it was a sentance "we will only issue a passport with an original birth certificate, photocopies not accepted".
after hearing the same thing 8 times it dawns on me im probably dealing with either the mentally challenged or a very lifelike sounding robot, so i hangup....:rolleyes:

Whats the problem with getting a new birth certificate you cry...
I was born in the middle east, lebanon to be exact, and as the story goes, had a heck of a job getting the brit embassy to accept i was actually a brit national. soon after i was born, the hospital was bombed and the records were scattered far and wide....

Never one to admit defeat, and in a flash of inspiration i realise that the brit embassy in beirut must have a record of that age old saga, and a record of my birth. so back to the phone goes your valiant author and calls the honerable representative of the Queen in lebanon.

i get hold of a snotty consulate official and tell him my tale of woe. the pompus a** retorts "this is the british embassy, not a filing service for the lost and found" ( :eek: ) they will however do a search through their records, for around 100,000 lebanese lira (£40 - payment in advance if you please). then he says - with unnecissary relish in my opinion - that even if they did find the details, that would not be vaild proof of british nationality - just that where i was born and when - not a birth certificate as such. if i wanted a birth certificate id have to chat to the hospital. tried to tell the guy that could be tricky as it was tuned to rubble 24 years ago. "yes, well, this is the british embassy, as good as we are we havnt mastered rewriting history now have we" (guy was a regular comedian).

still here? i comend your fortitude... so where does this leave me... i have no drivers licence, why? beacuse i have no passport. i cant get a new passport, because i dont have a birth certificate, and i cant get a birth certificate because my mother was inconsiderate enough to give birth to me in a war zone ;) .....does anyone have ANY ideas just WTF am i supposed to do now????

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Ramrod
22-07-2003, 18:45
I think that your best bet is to go through the passport office. Arrange an appointment with someone in authority there to explain your dilemma as there must be a 'work around' the birth certificate requirement. If nessecary you can get your GP to write a letter confirming who you are and sign the back of a photo of yourself as well.

Richard M
22-07-2003, 18:56
Originally posted by Mark W
<snip>
:bigcry:

Wow, that really sucks. :(

Tricky
22-07-2003, 19:06
Wow I once lost my passport (in the UK!) and after reporting to bobbies getting crime numbers etc, it took an age for me to get a replacement, so obtaining something from abroad must be a nightmare. Don't suppose you have your passport number? if it has only been issued recently they'll have your details on file (digitally), report it missing and they might be able to help.

Good luck with the scooter - just don't come tearing through my estate at ungodly hours of the day...

Mark W
22-07-2003, 19:13
Originally posted by Ramrod
I think that your best bet is to go through the passport office. Arrange an appointment with someone in authority there to explain your dilemma as there must be a 'work around' the birth certificate requirement. If nessecary you can get your GP to write a letter confirming who you are and sign the back of a photo of yourself as well.

yea, will probably have to do that.

i tried to explain i had passed army officer selection, had passed security access to BNFL sellafield, had an national insurance number, been paying flipping taxes of all kinds etc etc etc.

reply?

"we will only issue a passport with an original birth certificate, photocopies not accepted".

:afire: :afire: :afire:

KingPhoenix
22-07-2003, 19:29
OK so youve already had a passport right???

Which means that you must of sent of your birth certificate at some point right??? Which means the passport office has alreasdy seen your birth certificate right???

So with evidence to prove your address, i.e. bank statements along with confirming bank cards etc and bills and so on, you should be able to speak to someone in authority at the passport office, providing you can take as much evidence of who you are, and what your address is (you havent moved since you recieved your last passport have you?) and with a bit of persistence, you should be able to get them to assist you.......

HTH

Mark W
22-07-2003, 19:37
Originally posted by KingPhoenix
you havent moved since you recieved your last passport have you?

:erm: 3 times? :cry:

zoombini
22-07-2003, 19:49
Hmm, sounds like your stuck with catching the bus..

Mark W
22-07-2003, 20:37
*idly wonders if they refuse to accept im a brit citizen will i be able to claim benefits as an asylum seeker* ;)

Jules
22-07-2003, 21:43
*idly wonders if they refuse to accept im a brit citizen will i be able to claim benefits as an asylum seeker* ;)

Not with out a birth certificate and a photo copy is no good :D

I think Ebay has a scooter section rotflmao

Keep us informed Mark this sounds like it is going to turn out to be a good drama :D

Mark W
22-07-2003, 22:02
Originally posted by whyme38
I think Ebay has a scooter section rotflmao

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :drunk: :drunk:

homealone
22-07-2003, 22:38
yea, will probably have to do that.

i tried to explain i had passed army officer selection, had passed security access to BNFL sellafield, had an national insurance number, been paying flipping taxes of all kinds etc etc etc.

reply?

"we will only issue a passport with an original birth certificate, photocopies not accepted".

:afire: :afire: :afire:

there must be someone you can go to to get "authenticated"? Some kind of form you can fill in to get "verified"?

Army Officer Selection - cool. I did RAF Pilot/Officer Selection - I turned down being a "Navigator" & wouldn't bomb Australia so I failed:smokin:

I was born in Malta - however my dad was in the RAF, at the time, so I have got all the "proper" docs. - what if I lost them, though?

That original passport or the number has to be somewhere, doesn't it?

Ramrod
22-07-2003, 22:51
Oh well now, thats different, step this way, what can we do for you sir? House? Money? Do you feel you have been discriminated against?:afire: :grind: :2up:
.....and I'm not even English...and my parents were refugees

Mark W
22-07-2003, 22:51
Originally posted by homealone
That original passport or the number has to be somewhere, doesn't it?

yea, but they are gonna say "yes, but prove that is you by showing us your birth certificate"

Ramrod
22-07-2003, 22:52

****wits:rolleyes:
*edit* ooh, the swear filter is on again:D

Ramrod
22-07-2003, 22:55
yea, but they are gonna say "yes, but prove that is you by showing us your birth certificate" Get an appointment, It may take a while but it'll be worth it.

nogger
22-07-2003, 23:00
When did you last see your passport? :-)

If you've really, really looked I would suggest..........

Stage one:- Citzens Advice

Stage two:- Your MP

Mark W
22-07-2003, 23:05
thanks for the replys guys....

looks like ill be maing an appt with the ever friendly passport office, and whilst waiting for that ill be seeing C.A.B.

*fingers crossed*

:cry: as he thinks of his scooter rusting away in his garage....

your mp

i have no idea who my mp is - am deeply apolitical about the politics in this country anyway :erm:

nogger
22-07-2003, 23:10
i have no idea who my mp is - am deeply apolitical about the politics in this country anyway :erm:

Just ask at the CAB. Or Google him. I assume you know where you live. :)

homealone
22-07-2003, 23:25
thanks for the replys guys....

looks like ill be maing an appt with the ever friendly passport office, and whilst waiting for that ill be seeing C.A.B.

*fingers crossed*

:cry: as he thinks of his scooter rusting away in his garage....

apolitical or not, you have to "play the game" and should, at least, know who your mp is?

Gaz

Chris
23-07-2003, 09:31

www.faxyourmp.com

This site will identify your MP by your postcode and allow you to send him a letter by fax for free.

MPs do more than get political in Parliament ... if you get him onside he is your single most powerful ally in a situation like this. I'd get on to him sooner rather than later if I were you!

Hope it works out. :)

timewarrior2001
23-07-2003, 10:30
If you received british citizenship shortly after birth, there will be records of that.
As far as I know, your Birth certificate would be useless anyway as you were born outside the UK. The next thing you need to get a british passport is proof of citizenship or naturalisation.
The passport office will tell you something along these lines I am sure, but it also tells you on the application form.
C.A.B should be able to put you in touch with the relevant people.

TigaSefi
23-07-2003, 10:55
Sound like a farcial situation to me. I can imagine a little comedy sketch of this but anyways, keep us informed.

Mark W
23-07-2003, 11:45
Originally posted by towny
www.faxyourmp.com

This site will identify your MP by your postcode and allow you to send him a letter by fax for free.

MPs do more than get political in Parliament ... if you get him onside he is your single most powerful ally in a situation like this. I'd get on to him sooner rather than later if I were you!

Hope it works out. :)

Thanks towny, fax has been sent :)

Stuart
23-07-2003, 12:17
well, as some of you know i recently bought a scooter, and as it was an impulse buy, got it before getting my provisional licence.

<snip>
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Mark, when I lost my birth certificate, I went to the Family Records Centre in London. They have births in the UK on record, don't know about births abroad.

If you contact them though, they may be able to help. Their details are on http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/partners/frc-partner.htm.

You could also try the public records office
http://www.pro.gov.uk.

Even if they can't help, they might be able to point you to someone who can.

Pritch
23-07-2003, 13:50
Ladies and gents, a conclusion to the drama.

What Mark W didn't think of was asking his housemate. I read the first post in this thread and announced "Hey Mark, I know exactly where your passport is".

It's now sitting on his desk in front of him :D

Mark W
23-07-2003, 13:52
Spilling my tale of woe to my housemate - he interrupts and goes "but i know where you passport is, its in Adams (our never present 3rd housemate) room....

off he trots and 15 seconds later is mocking me for my passport photo....

relieved?? beers all round!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

:)

scooter, here i come :D

Mark W
23-07-2003, 14:00
ummm, can someone take me passport....

all im hearing is *snigger* "youve got hair!, youve got LOTS of hair", with the odd "blimey mark, youre looking very bouffant there".....:erm:

being stateless wasnt so bad afterall perhaps? :erm: :)

homealone
23-07-2003, 14:07
ummm, can someone take me passport....

all im hearing is *snigger* "youve got hair!, youve got LOTS of hair", with the odd "blimey mark, youre looking very bouffant there".....:erm:

being stateless wasnt so bad afterall perhaps? :erm: :)

can't be any worse than kink's efforts with Photoshop!:)

Glad you got it sorted - take it easy on the scooter!:drunk:

Gaz

Jules
23-07-2003, 14:54
Aww come on Mark you have to post a pic of it :D

Chris
23-07-2003, 15:04

Yep, I think you owe us a peep after all the help we've posted :D

Mark W
23-07-2003, 16:20
lol, ok, ill see what i can do when i get home ;)

nogger
23-07-2003, 16:28
:geez:

I did ask if you'd "really, really looked".

Just don't get knocked off the scoot now you can get on the road. :Peaceman:

Enterian
23-07-2003, 16:31
I was going to suggest that you could ride your scooter without a licence with complete impunity........... as you don't exist you cannot be prosecuted.

But now you've gone and spoilt it by finding your passport and popping back into existence!

Mark W
23-07-2003, 16:34
Originally posted by nogger
I did ask if you'd "really, really looked".

why on earth would i look in my housemates bedroom?? and as Pritch will testify to - you gotta REALLY REALLY want to go in there.....talk about a case for enviromental heath and safety :erm:

I was going to suggest that you could ride your scooter without a licence with complete impunity........... as you don't exist you cannot be prosecuted.

funnily enough, that crossed my mind too :)

Nemesis
23-07-2003, 16:35
Originally posted by Pritch
Ladies and gents, a conclusion to the drama.

What Mark W didn't think of was asking his housemate. I read the first post in this thread and announced "Hey Mark, I know exactly where your passport is".

It's now sitting on his desk in front of him :D

Do you feel like a right plonker now ? :D :LOL: :rofl:

nogger
23-07-2003, 16:45
why on earth would i look in my housemates bedroom?? and as Pritch will testify to - you gotta REALLY REALLY want to go in there.....talk about a case for enviromental heath and safety :erm:

Because it was there!!!!!!! :)

As for not existing. Unfortunately, the cops only need your name and address to do you. They don't have to prove who you are, you have to prove you're not who they say you are. And that you weren't there.

And if you don't tell 'em, they can lock you up and do you anyway.

Fun, innit? :)

Pritch
23-07-2003, 17:01

Here you go. To be honest, it's not that bad, but it's really quite remarkable just how much hair you can lose in a mere six years, eh baldy?

Mark W
23-07-2003, 17:05
Originally posted by Pritch
Here you go. To be honest, it's not that bad, but it's really quite remarkable just how much hair you can lose in a mere six years, eh baldy?

swine!....:Peace:

ps, thanks for making it nice and fuzzy....:D

kink
23-07-2003, 18:54
Originally posted by homealone
can't be any worse than kink's efforts with Photoshop!:)

Glad you got it sorted - take it easy on the scooter!:drunk:

Gaz

What Gaz? You mean this one? :naughty:

Download Failed (1)

All of a sudden having hair isn't as important anymore... is it mark?
Having a ladder in your tights must be much more of a trial..... breaking a finger nail? :D :p

homealone
23-07-2003, 20:05
Originally posted by kink

Download Failed (1)

Having a ladder in your tights must be much more of a trial..... breaking a finger nail? :D :p

That'll be the one:LOL:

Stuart
23-07-2003, 20:08

http://www.screamingmiranda.com/marky.jpg

You trying to give Mark another drama?

Maggy
23-07-2003, 21:05
I too lost my passport.As a British Citizen born in a former British Colony(Nigeria) I had a heck of a time proving who I was and I actually had my birth certificate.I had to provide info on who my parents were and where they married.Now after 40 years ALL the registar offices had moved,closed and boundaries shifted and altered.So I had to find through family what documents I could and then try and work out where the original offices were.I then had to send the whole kit and kabboodle to the Passport office.

I did enough work to actually get a new passport after being severely told off.I got quite irate on hearing last week just how many passports have gone missing through the post in the last year after thinking about the b*llicking I got.

Anyway I have to say to one and all after all this,is take better care of your documents of identity even the ones that only pertain to your parents and grandparents as it was a very uncomfortable and worrying experience at the time.I keep mine very safe and secure AND I have copies just in case.After all the inconvenience is nothing compared to the feeling that you may lack legitimacy as a citizen.

Incog.

Mark W
23-07-2003, 21:14

tights?, nah i prefer to wear stockings, much more practical ;)

*edit* - listen to incog - it aint a pleasant feeling :(