PDA

View Full Version : Online Learning

LooeyUK
22-07-2003, 18:49
I would to do some online learning and get a qualification at the end of it.

I dont mind what i learn except it has to be about computers.

Could some people give me some links?

Tricky
22-07-2003, 19:21
I know the open university offer such a practice...

tabatha
22-07-2003, 21:18
Hi LooeyB...Google search.."online learning"...search uk...
more suggestions than you will ever need..have fun...
ps..Me born in Dartford..Princess Rd...

LooeyUK
22-07-2003, 22:23
anne of cleves im at

tabatha
22-07-2003, 22:48
Quote..anne of cleves im at..
must be new??..left "D"50yrs ago...any luck with Google??

paul11974
22-07-2003, 23:05
Originally posted by LooeyB

http://www.learndirect.co.uk/

http://www.open.ac.uk/

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/subjects/computing_page.shtm

Ramrod
22-07-2003, 23:35
Originally posted by tabatha
Me born in Dartford..Princess Rd... I was born in West Hill Hospital:).....and live in Bexleyheath

grum1978
23-07-2003, 11:52
Originally posted by LooeyB

I think that learn direct is your best bet i know people that have done computer courses with them and got a good job after they finished the course. They said that the courses are well laid out and very user friendly :)

HTH

www.learndirect.co.uk

El Diablo
23-07-2003, 12:10
I guess it depends on the level and structure of the course that you want to do... I'm currently studying towards a Diploma in Computing then will hopefully continue on to gain a degree in either Computing or Computing & IT... Currently studying with Open University - they're excellent in terms of support, material and accessibility... definitely recommended!! :D

grum1978
23-07-2003, 12:26
Originally posted by El Diablo
I guess it depends on the level and structure of the course that you want to do... I'm currently studying towards a Diploma in Computing then will hopefully continue on to gain a degree in either Computing or Computing & IT... Currently studying with Open University - they're excellent in terms of support, material and accessibility... definitely recommended!! :D

Couldn't argee more my sister completed her open university course last year and she found it very well laid out as well

tabatha
23-07-2003, 19:07
Originally posted by Ramrod
I was born in West Hill Hospital:).....and live in Bexleyheath

Small world!!me too..1935!!..went to what was West Hill sec Modern..Spent many hrs in Danson Park...I know...Off Topic... :wavey:

zoombini
23-07-2003, 21:41
Problem with these online learning courses, is that if your going on one because you now nowt about computers, you can't operate the course because they are awful.

Get a few books and read them cover to cover many times. you'll learn far much more.

Tricky
23-07-2003, 21:46
What type of qualification are you after?
an IT one such as MCSE or CCNA
or a general computing one such as a MSc

El Diablo
24-07-2003, 01:07
Originally posted by zoombini
Problem with these online learning courses, is that if your going on one because you now nowt about computers, you can't operate the course because they are awful.

Get a few books and read them cover to cover many times. you'll learn far much more. Hmmm... would have to disagree on that one, although it's all down to the individuals preferred form of learning. You may not know nowt about computers when you start, but then that's not a problem, provided you can use a basic wordproccessor and access the web... certainly for the introductory courses... You should then find that you can progress at a reasonable level, again, dependant upon your personal objectives.

I'm not saying that it's easy, but most courses are tailored in a fashion that makes them accessible to the novice, in one way or another... although it's mostly down to enthusiasm, motivation and committment... it's the only way you can get through them!! :D

Shaun
24-07-2003, 01:45
Originally posted by El Diablo
Currently studying with Open University - they're excellent in terms of support, material and accessibility... definitely recommended!! :D

I'm studying for a Bsc (hons) in Molecular Science, and I'm really enjoying it, the modules are all so well written and the staff so friendly and knowledgeable I wouldn't recommend anywhere else.

I have spent 3 months making my mind up which modules to take next year because they are all written so well, I want to do them all! They are the U.K.'s largest university, and if you study with them you will see why.

Not only will you get a personal tutor, the course materials includes written texts, CD-Roms, Video, Web based material and Audio-tapes.
There will be on-line conferences for your course (and every other topic you can think of) as well as tutorials that you can go to if you can make it.

Even if you decide not to go ahead with an Open University course I'd recommend you have a mooch around their website or ring them.

Try http://www3.open.ac.uk/learners-guide/course-choice/

;) :) ;)