PDA

View Full Version : Continious D/S Activity? (DUNSTABLE/LUTON)

hatrick
27-05-2004, 11:06
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any one can help out? The last few days I have noticed the the D/S light on my cable modem (NTL HOME 100?) is contantly on. I have Linksys Router attached and the link light on there is also constantly flickering - a lot faster than it did do before. I have rebooted my modem but as soon as the SYNCH and RDY lights stabilise the D/S is on. In the past this used flicker occasionally and only when I was downloading or surfing the web. It is not affecting my ability to surf the web or download but it is having a major affect on my ability to sustain a connection whilst playing SOCOM II or any games via my PS2 Online.

Is this normal? or is someone/something trying to hack through? I have checked my incoming router logs and nothing appears, therefore I am assuming someone is trying to access a port and the router is blocking it.

Can any one shed some light, suggest anything I can do? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris W
27-05-2004, 12:34
if you unplug everything from the router apart from the modem connection do you still get the large amount of downsteam activity?

hatrick
27-05-2004, 12:42
Yup, even if I disconnect the router and everything else from the router I still get the downstream activity. That is what got me thinking there was something iffy going on.......:confused:

Richard M
27-05-2004, 14:02
Are you sure you're not confusing it with the Ethernet link signal?

Chris W
27-05-2004, 14:40
Try connecting just one pc to the modem and doing some analysis using mrtg:

http://mrtg.hdl.com/mrtg.html

this thread: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=4595&highlight=MRTG discusses it.

hatrick
27-05-2004, 14:41
Are you sure you're not confusing it with the Ethernet link signal?
nope as that is flashing away manically as well

AdeRickus
27-05-2004, 15:07
There is a tool available on the linksys site which enaqbles you via the log options on the router setup to monitor where the external traffic requests are coming from.

Someone may just be playing silly buggers, or you may have someone with your IP logged as a server of some description,

The tool will tell you the IP of where the traffic is coming from and your can tracert to see who or what it is

hatrick
27-05-2004, 16:17
Have had a look on the linksys site but cannot find anything. I have check the incoming logs on the router but there is nothing on them....... do you happen to have a link to the s/w?

AdeRickus
27-05-2004, 16:26
Direct Link, I am told its not just the BEFSR41 it works with, rather all the routers that support logging,

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/logviewer.exe (ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/logviewer.exe)

;)

hatrick
27-05-2004, 17:28
cool thanks, I will try it when i get home..... finger crossed eh?

AdeRickus
27-05-2004, 17:57
Trust me,

Im a software guy :D

Chris W
27-05-2004, 19:19
Direct Link, I am told its not just the BEFSR41 it works with, rather all the routers that support logging,

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/logviewer.exe (ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/logviewer.exe)

;)

couldn't get it to work with a WRT54G... which AFAIK supports logging.

nufcfan123
27-05-2004, 19:21
i have been having problems with gaming as well in the Luton Area. Although its not PS2 but PC, my ping has been going crazy and very laggy, also the d/s light flickers alot while playing also, its becoming a annoying.

hatrick
27-05-2004, 19:30
ok downloaded it, and launches ok, but what am i supposed to do with it? sorry if i am being a bit dumb:dunce:

AdeRickus
27-05-2004, 19:47
This damn forum keeps losing bloody messages,

Ill type the whole thing again !?!?!?

Open a browser on your machine, type in http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar, press go

this brings up a request for username & password

use ( if you have not changed it ) username:anything password:admin

click on 'LOG' on the menu along the top of the screen

Press 'start' - 'run' on your PC

type in 'cmd' and press enter

type in 'ipconfig' and press enter

this will give you the ip address of the machine

on the router config page, finish the ip address of your machine and press the enable radio button, then click apply

You then need to run the logviewer software and ip addresses should start to be listed on the screen, this can be logged to a file via menus on the logviewer.

Its not a wonderful program but serves a purpose.

Any other questions, dont hesitate to ask ;)

hatrick
28-05-2004, 09:21
right managed to get it up and running, I can see activity when I am surfing the web (i.e. requests from my machine to websites etc) and they all look fine. But there is no incoming traffic........ though the on the plus side managed to get a good SOCOM II session in even though the d/s light is still on continuously :confused:

this is very strange and me thinks a call to tech support is in order :Yikes:..............

AdeRickus
28-05-2004, 11:43
Sorry,

Are you saying that the incoming tab is empty or that it only has expected addresses

:erm:

hatrick
28-05-2004, 11:54
the incoming tab is completly empty, no ip addresses or anything

AdeRickus
28-05-2004, 11:59
:wtf: Thats not right,

Try resetting your router and doing an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew on all your machines to refresh the dhcp table within the router,

What firmware are you running in the router and what model is it ? :scratch:

hatrick
28-05-2004, 12:32
the router is the besfr81 (v2) and I am running the latest version of firmware on it. I will try again when i get home. you help is appreciated here. thanks :D

AdeRickus
28-05-2004, 12:43
Okay, a number of people have found the latest firmware to be flakey, i have reverted to a firmware on my BEFSR41 of about 12 months ago.

You may want to try the same :pp

For some reason the latest firmwares seem slow and buggy. The particular problem I was having is that every 2 or 3 days the router would stop, no reason, it just stopped working. Damn annoying :mad: !

I emailed linksys about this and they actually told me to revert to the previous version of firmware ( bizarre ! ) but it worked.

Hope this helps a little more ;)