PDA

View Full Version : tv box or cabled modem

iffy
25-05-2004, 12:29
hi im new to here,,,im just wondering if there is a diff between a tv set top box with cable running through it too my pc ,or a straight modem cable running too me pc,?is there any diff,i am on ntl tv set box ,,and is it true that when we get this extra half a mb for nowt the tv box wont let that amount of bandwith through,,me m8 said my box will only let 1mb tops through,,,but id like too here it from u guys,,,u seem all clued up ,,,,cheers;)

Neil
25-05-2004, 12:35
SACMs (Stand Alone Cable Modems) are generally considered to be more stable/reliable.

If I were you, I'd go for a SACM. :)

:welcome: to the site too. :wavey:

iffy
25-05-2004, 12:49
cheers for ur reply neil

badnbusy
25-05-2004, 21:19
Also, the cable tv box is usually downstairs, so you would need a huge cable if you PC is upstairs.

A modem, on the other hand, sits on your desk :)

Charlie_Bubble
25-05-2004, 21:29
Also, the cable tv box is usually downstairs, so you would need a huge cable if you PC is upstairs.

A modem, on the other hand, sits on your desk :)

And has a cable running downstairs... :D

iffy
25-05-2004, 22:34
me pc is up stairs,lol,,,and me tv box is down stairs,,cable goes outside and up a floor to me bedroom wall and into me pc...all i was wondering was too change me box to a straight modem cable too me bedroom instead of having a box,,,i dont use the tv for only the 5 channels,,so its stting there bieng used as a ethernet box,,,i heard cable modem is better than the box,,,but would ntl exchange this for me?nowt like cheek:Yikes: