PDA

View Full Version : Java with Mozilla on Red Hat 9

TigaSefi
22-07-2003, 11:16
When I go to the Netscape Jvm.html to download Java VM for Linux on Mozilla 1.4, after the initial download, it says access denied (not in root at this time) and when I do it in root, the browser packs up and disappears ??? I have tried downloading a huge 77Mb Java installation bin file but at 75% it crashes my machine and I have to reboot. Is there anyway of getting JAVA VM to install correctly on RH9 ?

wunderlust
22-07-2003, 13:48
Download the Java VM directly from java.sun.com, alot smaller than 77mb

Do manual download - linux RPM - follow the instructions provided for extracting and installing the RPM

then make a link to libjavaplugin_oji.so in the mozilla plugin directory.

Once you've got the RPM installed, if you need anymore info...

TigaSefi
22-07-2003, 14:35
Okey dokey lemme ssh into my machine now.

TigaSefi
23-07-2003, 09:34
okies this doing my head in, Java VM works perfectly in root but not in my name when I sign in ? I have made sure that libjava.so is in /home/username/.mozilla/plugins but it still won't recognise it ?

wunderlust
23-07-2003, 12:33
Just a couple of things to check:

Java is installed in /usr/blah..blah..blah location not in a users home directory yeah? If it is just move the entire java directory to /usr/local or where ever.

i.e mv /javafolder /usr/local

If mozilla is installed in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4
put the symbolic link in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins/ directory

ie.

cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins

ln -s /usr/rest_of_the_path_to/libjavaplugin_oji.so

You shouldn't have to move the libjavplugin_oji.so from it's installed location the ln -s creates a link to it.

TigaSefi
23-07-2003, 12:37
Yeah Java is installed in /root.

Apparently a symbolic link was made into the plugins directory but I'll do it again tonight.
Thanks, it things like that this that should be made a lot easier if world domination is to happen but hey I'll get there heh.