PDA

View Full Version : Using MS Word to create website - problems!!

clarry
24-05-2004, 15:17
Hi all,

I'm new here and wonder if anyone can help me. I am planning on using my free webspace to create a website that will help me to raise money for a sponsered half marathon I am doing later in the year. I have bought a domain name and have figured out how to FTP my stuff (finally) but I have designed the site in Word and all I get coming up is a list of files that make up the site - you can click on these and they take you to the relevant pages and images but I can't fisure out how to get the site up there in one go. Can anyone help? I don't know whether it is because there is no index.htm I have used the wizard to create the site in Word. Any help would be fab before I through my computer through the window!!!

Thanks

Clarry;)

Chris
24-05-2004, 15:19
It is indeed because there is no Index.htm on your site. You might just be able to get away with it if you rename the front page of your site to index.htm. Give that a try then post back. How about posting us the URL as well? :)

PS :welcome: to Cable Forum.

EDIT

Beware, if you change the name of your front page .htm file to index.htm, that links on your other pages that refer back to your front page will stop working. You will have to change any such links so that they refer to index.htm instead of whatever you have currently called your front page file.

Bifta
24-05-2004, 15:20
Just rename whichever document you want to see first on the site to either index.htm or index.html (you can do that in an FTP client before you upload), where you see the list of files (normally on the left) in the FTP client, highlight the first file, press SHIFT, highlight the last file and it should highlight the lot, then just drag them over to the remote window (normally on the right).

A lot of this really depends on what FTP client you use, I'd recommend Filezilla.

Jon M
24-05-2004, 15:24
I think the answer is in the thread title.. MS Word + create website = problems.

nuff said ;) :D

clarry
24-05-2004, 15:32
Thanks, I will try those things although I think I have given it a go already. I am using Terrapin FTP at the moment but only on the trial basis - not sure if it's any good. I know Word prob isn't the best thing to use to create site but it i know it inside out so thought it would be easier. What else would you recommend using to create a site - that doesn't cost loads!!

Clarry

Jon M
24-05-2004, 15:36
I'd give FileZilla a try for FTP.. it's easily the best free FTP client available.

As far as creating sites.. I've always used notepad/wordpad (text editors) .. but for a purely graphical interface I'd have to recommend dreamweaver (macromedia) or golive (adobe).. both of which are fairly pricey

clarry
24-05-2004, 16:00
nope - still not working!! I have just created a blank website with a Word template and have changed the name of the frontpage to index.htm but it still isn't working the URL is http://homepage.ntlworld.com/claremanley this is doing my head in as I what I have done so far for the proper site looks really good and I don't think I'd be able to reproduce it in another program as don't have anything like Dreamweaver. Any more suggestions?:confused:

Bifta
24-05-2004, 16:01
nope - still not working!! I have just created a blank website with a Word template and have changed the name of the frontpage to index.htm but it still isn't working the URL is http://homepage.ntlworld.com/claremanley this is doing my head in as I what I have done so far for the proper site looks really good and I don't think I'd be able to reproduce it in another program as don't have anything like Dreamweaver. Any more suggestions?:confused:

Don't upload the files into the "New Web 2" folder, just upload them straight into the root folder.

Chris
24-05-2004, 16:02
nope - still not working!! I have just created a blank website with a Word template and have changed the name of the frontpage to index.htm but it still isn't working the URL is http://homepage.ntlworld.com/claremanley this is doing my head in as I what I have done so far for the proper site looks really good and I don't think I'd be able to reproduce it in another program as don't have anything like Dreamweaver. Any more suggestions?:confused:Your index.htm file is inside a folder called 'New Web 2', but to function as an index it needs to be at the root level of your webspace. Move all the files into the root level (i.e. up one level out of the folder) and it should work.

EDIT

Darn, Fastest Finger First goes to Bifta :D

Jon M
24-05-2004, 16:16
Looking at your layout.. it seems you'll need to rename "default.htm" to "index.html"

Alanmelon
24-05-2004, 16:18
Should that Index.htm be index.htm?....I'd get rid of the uppercase I, and as a matter of habit, it's best to use only lowercase for filenames.

EDIT - Seems to have done the trick as you're up and running here :)

Chris
24-05-2004, 16:20
Should that Index.htm be index.htm?....I'd get rid of the uppercase I, and as a matter of habit, it's best to use only lowercase for filenames.
Given that the file is now in the root directory and it's still not working correctly, I think you're probably right.

Clarry - cap down the I in Index so it says index.htm :)

clarry
24-05-2004, 16:26
Hurrah - success!!! :angel: I will get on with the main site and let you know when it's done (if my 10month old stops screaming long enough!) ! Thanks for your help you guys are stars!!

Chris
24-05-2004, 16:29
Hurrah - success!!! :angel: I will get on with the main site and let you know when it's done (if my 10month old stops screaming long enough!) ! Thanks for your help you guys are stars!!
Well done! Don't forget to let us know how the marathon went :)

SMHarman
25-05-2004, 15:50
CAF and others run sites where you can put your sponsorship requirement up and people can on line pledge, donate (by Credit card / CAF card or similar) and post goodwill msgs.

Will try to track down a link.

You might want to consider this route.