PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember this tv programme?

Stewh
22-07-2003, 11:43
I've a vague recollection of a program from the 1960's.

The main character was called Tibor (I think) and had a big mental 2 handed sword, and was a moor or something like that (very sketchy memory here, ok!!!)

Just had a mental flash of it/him and wanted to find out more

Ring any bells?

MoneyPenny
22-07-2003, 14:05
I remember a series called "Arthur of the Britons" or something similar. Arthur was played by Oliver Tobias (long dark hair)and he had a sidekick called Kai? (with long blonde hair). They used to run around with bearskins on and flash big swords around. Maybe that?

Jules
22-07-2003, 14:13
I had forgotton all about Oliver Tobias, a quick Google says that he does theatre now.

I have no idea what the programe you recall is though Stew sorry

Stewh
22-07-2003, 14:23
no, not that, this was a guy who wandered about the desert

Jules
22-07-2003, 15:01
Have a look here (http://www.tv.cream.org/) Stew it might help you :)

Stewh
22-07-2003, 16:31
thanks whyme, I had a good scour around there, but no joy.
I remember making a big sword, like his, he carried it on his back.

Ah I just remembered William Tell used to be on as well!

William Tell (http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/children/other/adventure.htm#William%20Tell)

ntluser
23-07-2003, 18:10
Originally posted by Stewh

William Tell (http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/children/other/adventure.htm#William%20Tell)

There were a lot of historical adventure series in the 1960's including:-

Sir Lancelot
Sword Of Freedom
Robin Hood
The Gay Cavalier
Richard The Lionheart
William Tell

to name but a few.

Are we talking about a UK series or a US import or a one off programme? Can you remember any of the stars of the show? Are we talking early or late 60's?

The only show I can remember with a lot of walking in the desert was "Kung Fu", starring David Carradine. But no sword as far as I can remember.

There was a BBC series called "Hereward The Wake", which was set in marshes in East Anglia I think. It starred Alfred Lynch. Any extra info would help please.

Stewh
24-07-2003, 15:14
no, I only have a vague memory of it.
It would have been about 1965/6/7

The guy had a huge sword (maybe his sword was called Tibor)
I think he had a servant (maybe the servant was called Tibor)

He wandered about in the desert, rescuing some folk and killing other folk

And I made a big huge wooden sword cos it was so brilliant looking, it was taller than me, and hey yeah, it coulda taken someone's eye out

I wish I could remember more, but I was only about 7 or 8 and rarely sat still long enough to pay any attention.

Definitely was not any sort of classic, e.g. ivanhoe or anything, tho I loved all those as well

Man, I wish I hadnt remembered now, hehehehee

ntluser
25-07-2003, 13:01
no, I only have a vague memory of it.
It would have been about 1965/6/7

The guy had a huge sword (maybe his sword was called Tibor)
I think he had a servant (maybe the servant was called Tibor)

He wandered about in the desert, rescuing some folk and killing other folk

And I made a big huge wooden sword cos it was so brilliant looking, it was taller than me, and hey yeah, it coulda taken someone's eye out

I wish I could remember more, but I was only about 7 or 8 and rarely sat still long enough to pay any attention.

Definitely was not any sort of classic, e.g. ivanhoe or anything, tho I loved all those as well

Man, I wish I hadnt remembered now, hehehehee

As there is so little to go on I focused on the sword and wondered if it was a Samurai series.

Here's a link to some. See if any of the names ring a bell.

http://blofeld.qbranch.se/~maal01/series.htm

Any more information you have would be helpful.

Stewh
26-07-2003, 15:31
French dubbed rings a bell/
I also wonder if there was any kind of foreign legion type thing going on in it as well, you know, Sahara Desert and all that.

Stewh
28-07-2003, 20:33
weep, no, thanks for tryin tho gang

yesman
28-07-2003, 21:23
Maybe this (http://www.78rpm.co.uk/tv.htm) might help

ntluser
29-07-2003, 11:55
weep, no, thanks for tryin tho gang

Here's another link you may find useful as it lists shows year by year.

http://epguides.com/menu/year.shtml#1965

There was a show called "Tales Of The Vikings" and another called "Bigfoot and Wildboy", which may be what you are looking for. Hopefully a picture or title will ring a bell.

ntluser
01-08-2003, 13:56
Another possibility is the series "Monkey", which tells of the travels and adventures of a priest as he journeys to get some Buddhist scriptures.

Try this link and see:- http://www.sausagenet.co.uk/prog/monkey/index.htm

Or you could try the Monkey heaven site.

Hope this helps.

ntluser
06-08-2003, 17:41
After much research, I think it was Thibaud the Crusader, fighting the arabs in a French dubbed film. It was called "Desert Crusader" in some countries.

It was about 1967.

If you pop "Thibaud The Crusader" into the search engine at www.google.com you'll get a whole pile of links in various languages for you to follow to your heart's content.

Mission accomplished, I believe!!

Stewh
06-08-2003, 21:00
Whoooo hooooo , you're my hero now.
It was a series called Desert Crusader

ntluser
06-08-2003, 21:20
Whoooo hooooo , you're my hero now.
It was a series called Desert Crusader

My pleasure. I think I would have been devastated if you had said that it wasn't the right one!! ;)

Max
27-06-2005, 16:20
I think it was called The Crusader.
The Michael Jackson record smooth Criminal reminds me of the tittle music, but it was many years ago and I was very young so may have this wrong.

Nemesis
27-06-2005, 16:23
A thread brought back from the Dead Zone of 2003 :eek:

Chris
27-06-2005, 16:27
:bump:

Flippin heck, that was some thread bump ... :D

:welcome: to Cable Forum by the way Max!

MadGamer
27-06-2005, 16:33
Welcome to Cable Forum Max.

Stuart
27-06-2005, 16:38
*Goes off to find the first thread started...

Welcome to CF max!

Ramrod
27-06-2005, 16:58
*Goes off to find the first thread started...

Welcome to CF max!Did you find it? :)

Jules
27-06-2005, 17:01
Welcome to the forum Max :D

Maggy
27-06-2005, 18:02
Did you find it? :)

Give him a chance.When people have such trouble finding half the threads here he may be some time. :D

Mind I'm rather puzzled as to how Max found this one...Has he been one of our long time lurkers all this time trying to find the right thread to post to? :D

Welcome anyway Max.It is nice to know people read the forum so thoroughly. :tu:

AndE
12-06-2007, 00:26
The Desert Crusader was my favourite programme and would love to know a link (which works) with the origional Din did a lin de da lin din score

Delta Whiskey
12-06-2007, 00:53

I bought the box set from Amazon awhile back, kept me wallowing in nostalgia for a few weeks. I see it's still only £15 for the whole 39 episodes. http://www.amazon.co.uk/William-Tell-Complete-Conrad-Phillips/dp/B0007Z0VXY/ref=pd_bowtega_1/026-6001101-1628456?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1181602324&sr=1-1

danielf
12-06-2007, 00:59
When did we gain an 'inactive' member category?

on in an hour!
12-06-2007, 03:04
There were a lot of historical adventure series in the 1960's including:-

Sir Lancelot
Sword Of Freedom
Robin Hood
The Gay Cavalier
Richard The Lionheart
William Tell

to name but a few.

Are we talking about a UK series or a US import or a one off programme? Can you remember any of the stars of the show? Are we talking early or late 60's?

The only show I can remember with a lot of walking in the desert was "Kung Fu", starring David Carradine. But no sword as far as I can remember.

There was a BBC series called "Hereward The Wake", which was set in marshes in East Anglia I think. It starred Alfred Lynch. Any extra info would help please.
i'd go for the gay cavalier...everytime :D :D :D

Maggy
12-06-2007, 13:50
This must be the oldest bumped thread...and it's not even a techy thread...:D

AndE
12-06-2007, 23:54
Just downloded the Geoges Delarue sound track for The Desert Crusader, fantastic! I had a white Battling Top that I christened The Desert Crusader don't you know.

AntiSilence
13-06-2007, 00:34
This must be the oldest bumped thread...and it's not even a techy thread...:D

Sure is :) LOL

But while were at this trying to remember old TV series/films etc... Can anyone help me with remembering what a certain animated film was called?

Now, VERY vague memories here.. All I remember, is it starts off with a kid in a sort of buggy, storming across a kind of alien desert with strange plants and creatures. Also, there was a really old man with a fish pond, that turned out to be the kid from the beginning. At some point, the kids friend/creature thingy dies...

All very vague... I can't remember much else about it...

Xaccers
13-06-2007, 10:45
Sure is :) LOL

But while were at this trying to remember old TV series/films etc... Can anyone help me with remembering what a certain animated film was called?

Now, VERY vague memories here.. All I remember, is it starts off with a kid in a sort of buggy, storming across a kind of alien desert with strange plants and creatures. Also, there was a really old man with a fish pond, that turned out to be the kid from the beginning. At some point, the kids friend/creature thingy dies...

All very vague... I can't remember much else about it...

He gets attacked by giant mosquito things at the end doesn't he, then picked up by a spaceship, then grows old and helps another group of spacetravellers to help a kid stuck on a planet, which turns out to be him as a kid.

AntiSilence
13-06-2007, 13:49
He gets attacked by giant mosquito things at the end doesn't he, then picked up by a spaceship, then grows old and helps another group of spacetravellers to help a kid stuck on a planet, which turns out to be him as a kid.

:tu: That all sounds very familiar, yes.... I think that's the one I'm on about. But I can't remember what it's called at all.

Xaccers
13-06-2007, 15:33
:tu: That all sounds very familiar, yes.... I think that's the one I'm on about. But I can't remember what it's called at all.

I always missed the begining which from what I've been told covers a car accident which he gets abducted from and placed on a different planet.
Was really good, and the time looping was great too.

Another one I liked was an Asian animated rip-off of star wars, with humans in a mine, and this kid finds the hilt of a light sword. Even had a Han Solo charactor who flew a ship very similar to the Millenium Falcon, with a female C3PO computer.

AntiSilence
13-06-2007, 21:00
I always missed the begining which from what I've been told covers a car accident which he gets abducted from and placed on a different planet.
Was really good, and the time looping was great too.

I don't remember that bit at all :confused: What do you think would be the best way to find out what it's called, considering I know next to nothing about it?

Another one I liked was an Asian animated rip-off of star wars, with humans in a mine, and this kid finds the hilt of a light sword. Even had a Han Solo charactor who flew a ship very similar to the Millenium Falcon, with a female C3PO computer.

Not heard of that one.