PDA

View Full Version : BB Medic install problem

Anastasis
22-05-2004, 07:43
I thought I would download and install NTL's new Broadband Medic to give it a try. However, I am having a problem installing it when running bbminst.exe. It gets to a point where it says it is downloading Chorus.exe and then just sits there with the time remaining count going up all the time. I think it might be something to do with my Sygate firewall but I'm not sure. Anyway, nothing else has a problem installing so why this?

Does anyone know what's going on?

TIA!

abailey152
22-05-2004, 08:28
It may be your firewall, but it could just as easily be NTL's end. You could try disabling your firewall during install.

Having said that, BB Medic perhaps isn't worth installing. You'd get more and better help on this site.

paulyoung666
22-05-2004, 09:11
It may be your firewall, but it could just as easily be NTL's end. You could try disabling your firewall during install.

Having said that, BB Medic perhaps isn't worth installing. You'd get more and better help on this site.

and i will second that as well :tu:

utt
22-05-2004, 11:21
I thought I would download and install NTL's new Broadband Medic to give it a try. However, I am having a problem installing it when running bbminst.exe. It gets to a point where it says it is downloading Chorus.exe and then just sits there with the time remaining count going up all the time. I think it might be something to do with my Sygate firewall but I'm not sure. Anyway, nothing else has a problem installing so why this?

TIA!

The medic install will download all files it needs to operate correctly. dependant on which version of IE you are using. This can take some time especially if you are on a 150K connection. Normally this time goes up to around 15 mins but will actually load a long time before that.

greencreeper
22-05-2004, 15:57

I'll third that :tu: One of the issues I raised was the amount of program entries Medic creates in Zone Alarm. Shocking. Loads of alerts.

Anastasis
22-05-2004, 22:06
Thanks Guys. Sounds like this isn't worth the hassle. I am on 150k (soon to be 300k though I hope), so it isn't that quick, but I couldn't understand the time remaining indicator actually going up rather than down. It indicated to me that probably something was stuck.

Unless anyone has any other suggestion (and yes I think this forum is probably the best bet), then I will ditch the idea.

Chris W
22-05-2004, 23:15
if you know anyone who has only just had BB installed, BBmedic is on the latest installation disks.

Nidge
23-05-2004, 08:17
if you know anyone who has only just had BB installed, BBmedic is on the latest installation disks.

Zone Alarm is on disc to.

akridine
23-05-2004, 08:39

TIA!

Chorus.exe is a BIG file so it messes with the estimated download times and they start to increase rather than decrease.

BBmedic is a great tool but its best to install it off CD as people cancel the download thinking its messed up

swoop101
23-05-2004, 09:24
Medic caused me no end of troubles, kept getting BSOD crashes.
I tried re-installing a few times but it was allways the same, took it off and no more problems.
It never fixed anything on my system anyway.

abailey152
23-05-2004, 09:37
Yes, it seems to have a simple line of attack whatever the problem....

Clear the cache.
Reboot the STB or CM.
Call Tech Support.

It doesn't seem clever enough to "read" the status page and automatically detect if your problem is listed. Granted, for a newbie, it might be of some use, but I still think better advice is found here.