PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Home LAN

richard_j_green
20-05-2004, 23:29
Dear Cable Forum,

I previously used ADSL via a Netgear DG824M wireless ADSL router, with no problems. The connection automatically found all of the details (IP, DNS etc) and it all worked pukka!

I have switched to NTL 1Mb as of Monday this week, and bought a Netgear RP614v2 to route the connection between my three systems at home.

The new DSL router is unable to connect to the Cable connection if the router is set to automatically aquire IP and DNS etc. from the ISP. My first point is, how come if the connection is directly connected from the NTLHome 200 Modem into the Windows XP Pro PC I use, the connection is automatically detected using DHCP, but the router cannot.

The other problem I'm having is, even with the settings on the router manually configured, the connection is not working properly. I think the problem with the connection is something to do with the MAC address configuration.

The router gives me the option to set the MAC address based on the address from the computer connected on Ethernet Port 1, a custom address (user defined), or to use the default address of the router.

I have managed to get the connection active via the router using both the use default address and the custom address (using the address of the Cable Modem).

I think there is a problem with the Ethernet cable I am using to connect the router to the PC on Ethernet Port 1 (Used ****ty cheap connectors from Maplin), but have bought some new connecters of better quality so will re-wire the cable later and see if this makes any difference.

The actual problem even when Windows is connected via the Ethernet to the router, is that it does not give me an upstream, but only a downstream.

I just wondered if anybody knew of anything other than the possibly dodgy Ethernet lead that may be causing the problems?

th'engineer
20-05-2004, 23:35
Dear Cable Forum,

I previously used ADSL via a Netgear DG824M wireless ADSL router, with no problems. The connection automatically found all of the details (IP, DNS etc) and it all worked pukka!

I have switched to NTL 1Mb as of Monday this week, and bought a Netgear RP614v2 to route the connection between my three systems at home.

The new DSL router is unable to connect to the Cable connection if the router is set to automatically aquire IP and DNS etc. from the ISP. My first point is, how come if the connection is directly connected from the NTLHome 200 Modem into the Windows XP Pro PC I use, the connection is automatically detected using DHCP, but the router cannot.

The other problem I'm having is, even with the settings on the router manually configured, the connection is not working properly. I think the problem with the connection is something to do with the MAC address configuration.

The router gives me the option to set the MAC address based on the address from the computer connected on Ethernet Port 1, a custom address (user defined), or to use the default address of the router.

I have managed to get the connection active via the router using both the use default address and the custom address (using the address of the Cable Modem).

I think there is a problem with the Ethernet cable I am using to connect the router to the PC on Ethernet Port 1 (Used ****ty cheap connectors from Maplin), but have bought some new connecters of better quality so will re-wire the cable later and see if this makes any difference.

The actual problem even when Windows is connected via the Ethernet to the router, is that it does not give me an upstream, but only a downstream.

I just wondered if anybody knew of anything other than the possibly dodgy Ethernet lead that may be causing the problems?clone your pc mac address of the pc connected make sure router set to dynamic ip

Nikko
20-05-2004, 23:35
Try powering everything down - Cable Modem, Router, PC's then Boot up in that order - CM, wait for lights to steady, Router, PC1 and see if it resolves itself.

richard_j_green
21-05-2004, 01:00
So I should set the router to use the PC on Ethernet Port 1's MAC address, and set the router to automatically aquire IP, DNS etc?

Chris W
21-05-2004, 01:07
So I should set the router to use the PC on Ethernet Port 1's MAC address, and set the router to automatically aquire IP, DNS etc?

you shouldn't need to clone the mac address if you are using a cable modem, but yes set the router to obtain ip and dns automatically. Also, if you router is PPPoE compatable, make sure this is disabled.

As Nikko said, make sure you power everything down as well, and make sure the modem is turned off for a good half minute. Then you should be able to make the connection straight away.

MB

Nikko
21-05-2004, 01:07

Yes - a combination of the above replies should fix it - if my suggestion fails, then try cloning as th'eng mentioned.

Edit: wot MB said :)