PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet port on my modem is dead...

Dupre
21-07-2003, 20:05
After being on USB for a month, i decided to retry the ethernet connection on my Abit120 modem, but took ALOT of wangling the plug in the socket for windows to give me the "connected" status, if i let go of the cable, it died... so i used some good old sticky tape and held it in place, voila! works... however, i dont wanna have to use tape, i want a modem that works... i tried a number of different patch/cross over cables but same results.

What are the chances that NTL are gonna replace the box?
Who do i call to get one?
How long is it gonna take?

Tricky
21-07-2003, 20:28
One question - Have you checked your PC end, even though you've taped the end at the modem this may have pulled the PC end? - Only a suggestion before you call them

altis
21-07-2003, 20:54
Does the plug on your ethernet cable still have the clear plastic retaining clip on the side? Does it give a reasuring click when it goes in?

I've had problems like this in the past with (a) a broken clip (b) a bent clip. In both cases the connector would just fall out if nudged.

Dupre
21-07-2003, 21:02
all 4 cables i used have the retainer clip, and were securely fixed in the PC end, or to the xbox :-D takes ALOT of jiggling the cable around to get the pins to touch it seems.

quadplay
21-07-2003, 22:35
Sounds like someone's tried to force a USB cable into the Ethernet socket! Ring tech support, they'll get a replacement out to you (might depend who you talk to, mind, and how helpful they're feeling!)

Dupre
22-07-2003, 00:13
Originally posted by jimbo
Sounds like someone's tried to force a USB cable into the Ethernet socket! Ring tech support, they'll get a replacement out to you (might depend who you talk to, mind, and how helpful they're feeling!)

ill have to tell that one to the rest of my software engineering degree course ;-) they'll have a real good laugh.

handyman
22-07-2003, 00:28
ambit modems have a known manufaturing problem, this has been highlighted too them. a fussy person would insist on the modem being replaced foc, a regular person will just get a pin or paper clip and lift the pins on the modem fixing the problem.

:) take the easy quick 2 min option get somthing pointy in there and get the pins out a bit further job done. ;)

homealone
22-07-2003, 01:30
Originally posted by handyman
ambit modems have a known manufaturing problem, this has been highlighted too them. a fussy person would insist on the modem being replaced foc, a regular person will just get a pin or paper clip and lift the pins on the modem fixing the problem.

:) take the easy quick 2 min option get somthing pointy in there and get the pins out a bit further job done. ;)

will that be while it's plugged in?:spin:

handyman
22-07-2003, 07:26
Originally posted by homealone
will that be while it's plugged in?:spin:

:rolleyes: lol

Dupre
22-07-2003, 16:12
i would've thought id doesnt matter if its on or off, but ill try it later when ive finished downloading :) and i wanna put the xbox in.

quadplay
22-07-2003, 16:19
Originally posted by Dupre
ill have to tell that one to the rest of my software engineering degree course ;-) they'll have a real good laugh.

Don't laugh, it really has happened! :eek: I wasn't accusing you, though! :p :D

Dupre
22-07-2003, 18:55
i know, im just a sarcastic person by nature. :) tho where my modem is, i probably have poked the wrong hole before... in a computer sense of course ;-)

Stephen Robb
23-07-2003, 16:08
My modem had problems when it was being used with a ethernet connection, plug loose in the modem and I had to keep going back to the USB connection which was OK. We have the ntl:home Broadband Internet modem in the Reading area.

The modem went belly up when it was about nine months old! It was changed within 24 hours (Good service in this part of the country!) and low and behold the ethernet connection in the modem was a tight fit and has worked properly ever since.

It appears when I talked to the engineer, there was a batch of modems that had a very slack and sloopy connection for the ethernet cables!

As someone said in an earlier post, ring CS or the Tech line and see if they will change it for you!