PDA

View Full Version : rumour of upload speed increase for 1Mb service - 256k to 400k

Daniel davies
20-05-2004, 18:30
on the UK XBOX LIVE DISCUSSION web forum(http://www.forums.xbox.com (http://www.forums.xbox.com/)), rumour has it NTL are increasing the upload speed to 400k. this is connected to the 1.5mb increase.

the title is NTL SLOW DOWN.

has anyone else heard about an increase on the upload ??

Defiant
20-05-2004, 18:33
on the UK XBOX LIVE DISCUSSION web forum(http://www.forums.xbox.com (http://www.forums.xbox.com/)), rumour has it NTL are increasing the upload speed to 400k. this is connected to the 1.5mb increase.

the title is NTL SLOW DOWN.

has anyone else heard about an increase on the upload ??I'd say the slow down is there website. Its down :erm:

Tezcatlipoca
20-05-2004, 19:31
The forums & site are up - it is the link that is wrong.

The forum link should be:

http://forums.xbox.com & not http://www.forums.xbox.com

Anyway. 400k upload? Not heard anything about it 'till now. Be great if it happened, but somehow I doubt NTL would do it.

paulyoung666
20-05-2004, 19:33
The forums & site are up - it is the link that is wrong.

The forum link should be:

http://forums.xbox.com & not http://www.forums.xbox.com

Anyway. 400k upload? Not heard anything about it 'till now. Be great if it happened, but somehow I doubt NTL would do it.

or could do it :erm:

NEONKNIGHT
20-05-2004, 20:43
I've read in the latest Computeractive mag that NTL & Telewest are going to increase the BB speeds by 50% for no extra charge to the user :Yikes:

:)

Jarandco
20-05-2004, 20:49
I've read in the latest Computeractive mag that NTL & Telewest are going to increase the BB speeds by 50% for no extra charge to the user :Yikes:

:)

Keep up! :pp :D

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=11564 theres a small (29 page) thread about it here :angel:

NEONKNIGHT
20-05-2004, 21:00
Keep up! :pp :D

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=11564 theres a small (29 page) thread about it here :angel:

LOL! :D I getting too old for this ! ;)

Tezcatlipoca
21-05-2004, 19:00
Link to the thread:

http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=7508866

Requires you sign-in with a .NET Passport though - even just to read it :rolleyes:

Snippets...

I rang NTL today because my internet is now becoming really slow....[snip]....While i was talking to him [NTL TS] i decided to ask about the upload available and he told me that at the moment 256k is the max but when they all get upgraded (to 1.5mb i think it was) that the upload is also being upgraded (but he didnt say to what).

the ntl upload speed i was told will be approx 400k when the speed upgrades take place

I have e-mailed nthell, qureying the upload speed of the service when it gets upgraded, they phoned back and explained that they will only be upgrading the download speed and will not be touching the upload speed and have no plans to increase the upload speed. We should be getting 375kb upload on the 1.5mb service as the network is set at upload being a quarter of the download.

I was told that blue yonder increased thier upload speeds to 400kbs recently, so maybe nthell have decided to follow suit, they might have changed thier minds since last week, I really hope so. £40 a month and I can't even host a 10 man game on RS3 without lag. You gat 256kbs upload on a BT 512kb connection for £20, are we being ripped of or what.

An upload increase seems very unlikely to me. But 2 people (at least) seem to have been told that it is going to happen (while a 3rd says NTL told him they aren't, but he also says TW/BY *are* increasing theirs).

Confusion on their part? Confusion on the part of whoever spoke to them?

th'engineer
21-05-2004, 19:48
now normally by this time in a thread we have someone who works for NTL saying no they are not. Now so far we have not had this so it might be true:)

Defiant
21-05-2004, 19:51
now normally by this time in a thread we have someone who works for NTL saying no they are not. Now so far we have not had this so it might be true:)
Nah just can't see it. They would be beating Telewest apart from there 3MB download service so it wont happen

icanadvise
21-05-2004, 20:15

its a bit of a shame that this forum doesn't have any contacts with the senior internet team like it sometimes seems to have with the tv people. :confused: There is an article on the company intranet that catagorically states there is no increase in upload, its from the Director of Technology in internet. Its also in the briefings - sounds like the peeps on the phone didnt read em :rolleyes:

dremmel
21-05-2004, 20:22
no comment or denial by NTL staff (usually within the first three/four follow on's)= it will happen
remember the price drop from £50 a good while back (on .com board)just to name one. Wonder why the reg' hasn't picked it up, or was I asleep

kronas
21-05-2004, 20:36
why would NTL do an uprgarde on upload ? uploading is a commodity, UBR's are already stretched on capacity...... i dont see it happening until they switch docsis to give more bandwidth.......and they dont have the money to do that.

Bill C
21-05-2004, 20:40

Well here you go. I have not heard anything about the upload being increased. The download yes but not the upload. I would have been told by now, But there again i have been out of the loop on things before :).

dremmel
21-05-2004, 20:40
aren't some area's on eurodocsis ?

kronas
21-05-2004, 20:41

ex C&W are........

Bill C
21-05-2004, 20:42

Yes they are. All ex cwc broadband enabled areas.

Kronas Beat me to it :)

dremmel
21-05-2004, 20:43
:D that's me sorted then (if it happens . . . ):D

Tezcatlipoca
21-05-2004, 20:45
why would NTL do an uprgarde on upload ? uploading is a commodity, UBR's are already stretched on capacity...... i dont see it happening until they switch docsis to give more bandwidth.......and they dont have the money to do that.

Exactly. I don't see how the UBRs could cope with an increased upload. And, as you say, they wouldn't be able to afford to upgrade.

I think the following probably kill-off this rumour....

There is an article on the company intranet that catagorically states there is no increase in upload, its from the Director of Technology in internet. Its also in the briefings - sounds like the peeps on the phone didnt read em :rolleyes:

Well here you go. I have not heard anything about the upload being increased. The download yes but not the upload. I would have been told by now, But there again i have been out of the loop on things before :).

Bill C
21-05-2004, 20:47
:D that's me sorted then (if it happens . . . ):D

As i stated i have heard nothing. I did talk to 1 of the managers involved yesterday about the upgrades in speed and he did not say anything about the upload going up. Now as we had a good chat about how we were going to handle this in my area you would think he would have told me if it was. I could be wrong you never know. :)

Defiant
21-05-2004, 20:47
ex C&W are........
Was that something good old c&w left us :)

Bill C
21-05-2004, 20:49

Indeed :tu:

kronas
21-05-2004, 20:51

yep, your less likely to suffer problems because of bandwidth congestion compaired to the other NTL areas.

but i still dont see it happening, as much as it would be a positive step and welcomed by many.....

th'engineer
21-05-2004, 20:51
:angel: it would make sense 256 upload :angel:

Neil
21-05-2004, 20:54
:angel: it would make sense 256 upload :angel:

I've already got 256k up thanks! :D

Bill C
21-05-2004, 20:54
I've already got 256k up thanks! :D

So have i

th'engineer
21-05-2004, 23:42
I have not could use it

Paul
21-05-2004, 23:57
I did hear this rumour a week or two ago and hinted about it in another thread - but I got shot down so I gave up.

BTW - what makes you think NTL have no money to spend on upgrades Kronas - did it occur to you that this might be why they are waiting before rolling out the speed changes - because they are upgrading stuff to cope better ?

kronas
22-05-2004, 01:52
BTW - what makes you think NTL have no money to spend on upgrades Kronas - did it occur to you that this might be why they are waiting before rolling out the speed changes - because they are upgrading stuff to cope better ?

ask bbking, i remember him talking about how its not as simple as rolling it out when 1meg was going to be launched, it takes alot more then 'upping' the speeds.......

i just cant see it happening, unless they did change docsis, and if NTL did not upgrade docsis then made the stupid move of upping it to 400k expect a mass influx of new complaints about degraded service....

remember each upload channel is small 2-4mbit i cant remember the exact figure but it is between those two, have about 300-400 users (busy channel)

now you have 6-8 customers on 1meg and on 600k taking in to account constant uploaders and peak time usage its chaos if it was 400k.

Chris W
22-05-2004, 02:06
remember each upload channel is small 2-4mbit i cant remember the exact figure but it is between those two, have about 300-400 users (busy channel)

:Yikes: extremely busy channel! I can honestly say i have never seen a channel with more than about 250 users on!!

kronas
22-05-2004, 02:42
:Yikes: extremely busy channel! I can honestly say i have never seen a channel with more than about 250 users on!!

i have. although its rare utilisation is a better measurement.

Richard M
22-05-2004, 03:40
its a bit of a shame that this forum doesn't have any contacts with the senior internet team

We still have contacts. ;)
And now, we know who we can trust...

etccarmageddon
22-05-2004, 09:47
I doubt the upload will be increased because it's the headline rate (ie. download speed) which is used to sell the product by the marketting team.

and remember the only reason the download speeds increased was cos TW forced the issue - so unless TW make a big announcement that their upload speeds are going up, dont expect anything from NTL.

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=bbs_faster_information_faqs

"The upstream speed will remain at the current levels - 128kbps for the 512k (750k) service, and 256kbps for the 1Mb and 2Mb (1.5Mb and 3Mb) services."

Stop It
22-05-2004, 19:20
ask bbking, i remember him talking about how its not as simple as rolling it out when 1meg was going to be launched, it takes alot more then 'upping' the speeds.......

i just cant see it happening, unless they did change docsis, and if NTL did not upgrade docsis then made the stupid move of upping it to 400k expect a mass influx of new complaints about degraded service....

now you have 6-8 customers on 1meg and on 600k taking in to account constant uploaders and peak time usage its chaos if it was 400k.
400 users on each upload channel? blimey, thats a bit high, Ive tested mine a few times using docsdiag, and theres 6 upload chans on the server, each with around 100, apart from channel 6 (one i'm on) which has 80, which seems pretty low by the looks of it, so Gwan ntl, chuck meh upload up, wont harm you, much, :angel:

Defiant
22-05-2004, 19:51
Yep it wouldn't make bussiness sense for them not to put any money back into the network. But then again sense and NTL :erm:

Chrysalis
22-05-2004, 20:34
I very much doubt the upload rates will be increased, cable suffers horridly from upload congestion and I am sure ntl dont want gamers on their back moaning about poor pings.

baldy
22-05-2004, 21:01
Upload speeds will not be changing, it would be suicide :shocked: with the current docsis implementation and network infrastructure. It also costs more in transit charges. The downstream channel can be cached locally to some degree.

As for 300 - 400 users per channel, I've seen a few. Most of them have been at the top of the upgrade plans thankfully ;)

kronas
22-05-2004, 21:48
As for 300 - 400 users per channel, I've seen a few. Most of them have been at the top of the upgrade plans thankfully ;)

most are at 100-200 on average..........

Ignition
24-05-2004, 00:22
You guys are completely forgetting that STBs in ex-C+W areas use the same uBRs that cable modems do, and that all STBs connect to uBRs whether they have a broadband service or not - those quoting 100 - 200 are really discussing the Langley areas, it's perfectly possible to get 4-500 users on a single upstream with no issues.

Ah something else - EuroDOCSIS does not include any facilities for higher upstream that aren't in American DOCSIS, the only difference in terms of bandwidth offered out of the box is the bigger downstream :)

BBKing
25-05-2004, 15:26
Spot on n00b.

ED gives you ~25% greater downstream

Doubling the upstream bandwidth capacity by using wider channels, er, increases the upstream capacity and decreases the likelihood of congestion. Doesn't require any DOCSIS changes, does require a good HFC area. Being rolled out now (in fact a large chunk of the network is done).

I've seen 700+ devices on an upstream, mostly STBs. That area's been resegmented and upstream doubled since then (first area in fact).

Upstream is remaining the same, only downstream's getting the % free upgrade.

etccarmageddon
25-05-2004, 16:46
Upstream is remaining the same, only downstream's getting the % free upgrade.

everyone take note - forget your rumours etc, if BB says it aint going up then it aint going up.

Daniel davies
27-05-2004, 19:33
If the upload doesn't increase, bye bye NTL.

fed up with the crap upload for £38.00 quid.

Tezcatlipoca
27-05-2004, 19:40
You won't get a higher upload with ADSL, though. Although you will get the same upload for less money.

:notopic:

btw, I see you're in Surrey.... have a look at this thread about wireless BB (with a decent upload).... you might be lucky & be in an area which is covered...http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=12829

Paul
27-05-2004, 19:57
If the upload doesn't increase, bye bye NTL.

fed up with the crap upload for £38.00 quid.

and where will you go for a higher upload speed ?

Bill C
27-05-2004, 20:05
and where will you go for a higher upload speed ?

:) you beat me to it :)

nidave
28-05-2004, 12:17
Doesn't require any DOCSIS changes, does require a good HFC area. Being rolled out now (in fact a large chunk of the network is done).

What is an HFC area? anc can someone explain what the DOCSIS is?
is the BB on a diffrent frequency to the TV?

Anyone point me to a website that explains all this?

Rik
30-05-2004, 22:31
I would be very very suprised if upload speed was increased!!
I will go out on a limb and say its NOT GONNA HAPPEN :)

arcamalpha2004
30-05-2004, 23:23
Just as the speed increase in july?;)

etccarmageddon
31-05-2004, 00:11

you wont be going out on a limb - various NTL employees including the very reliable BBKING say it aint gonna happen.

zovat
31-05-2004, 00:38
you wont be going out on a limb - various NTL employees including the very reliable BBKING say it aint gonna happen.

Normally I ignore NTL saying "this is not going to happen" because the rumors turn out to be true..
That said I have yet to find the NTL Employees on this site to be wrong - So I guess I'll have to accept that this is not going to happen. :(

BBKing
31-05-2004, 08:55
various NTL employees including the very reliable BBKING say it aint gonna happen.

I do hope I'm right...

:D

Ignition
31-05-2004, 11:48
I do hope I'm right...

:D

I would laugh my arse off if you aren't :p :D

Siuko
31-05-2004, 13:01
Lets forget about rumours of possible upload speed increases.... we may as well just wait for hard facts!

What is actually feasible for download and upload through the NTL network?

All these poeple wanting stuff for free will just put more pressure on a network which often has issues anyway!

I say to NTL.... provide a more configurable service where if we want more we pay more!! I've got my cash ready!!! :disturbd:

Bill C
31-05-2004, 13:37
I would laugh my arse off if you aren't :p :D

:LOL:

Rik
31-05-2004, 15:21
I say to NTL.... provide a more configurable service where if we want more we pay more!! I've got my cash ready!!! :disturbd:I would gladly pay extra £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£s for a 500Kbps upload :)

Ps Ive been looking at the business options for faster connections and there doesnt seem to be a list of prices, and I dont want to leaave my tel no for a rep to try and flog it to me!!

Anyone have a rough idea of what prices these Business Tariffs are? say for instance a 8/10meg line?

TIA

JonathanLH
01-06-2004, 01:35
afaik, the business cable service gives you a 512/256 or a 1024/256, if you want more, they only offer leased lines
if you can get it, sdsl is possible for more upload, or getting multiple cable modem lines and a fancy router such as the hotbrick 600/2.

daxx
01-06-2004, 10:10
or the Cyclone range listed at www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopBrandList.asp?SupplierID=32