PDA

View Full Version : STB in the morning

ignite
21-07-2003, 19:47
Hi,

We have a 4000 series box in the Wessex region (ex CWC). We normally leave the box on overnight and get this picture the next day. Note the white line towards the right of the screen. This was taken at 19:25 on the Paramount channel (105). If I now change channel, it will return to normal until the next day.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ignite/pics/tv.JPG

This is on channels like Paramount, UK Style etc, that have some kind of closedown. Is this a known bug with CR3 or is there something wrong with the box. I suspect it is not the box as this is a replacement box that we had about 5 months ago, and the other box did the same thing.

Andy

Proppinupthebar
21-07-2003, 20:08
Originally posted by ignite
Hi,

We have a 4000 series box in the Wessex region (ex CWC). We normally leave the box on overnight and get this picture the next day. Note the white line towards the right of the screen. This was taken at 19:25 on the Paramount channel (105). If I now change channel, it will return to normal until the next day.

This is on channels like Paramount, UK Style etc, that have some kind of closedown. Is this a known bug with CR3 or is there something wrong with the box. I suspect it is not the box as this is a replacement box that we had about 5 months ago, and the other box did the same thing.

Andy

Anyone get this on a 4010 box on the Langley platform ?

Chris
22-07-2003, 13:19
Originally posted by Proppinupthebar

I don't recall seeing this on our Langley box, but I dunno whay type it is ... will check this eveing and post back.

ignite
22-07-2003, 13:22
This is a Bromley box, not Langley.

C_Cube
22-07-2003, 13:34
Hi,

Note the white line towards the right of the screen.

The white lines are the wide screen signalling code sent out by the STB on line 23. Some tv's will read this sequence and switch display mode accordingly.

SMHarman
22-07-2003, 13:51

I'm getting it on my STB on e4 at times.

I'll check what STB I have tonight.

If its the WSS my tv normally reads and switches automatically. It hops all over the place during the adverts now as some are widescreen and some 4:3

Proppinupthebar
22-07-2003, 19:20
Originally posted by C_Cube
Hi,

The white lines are the wide screen signalling code sent out by the STB on line 23. Some tv's will read this sequence and switch display mode accordingly.

Alright matey, I think Ignite is meaning the line way down the screen in the active video, the vertical line not the horizontal line 23 signalling.

Any chance of people posting a similar thread over on .com so that ntl people can officially comment. I have mentioned it to one of the STB guru's.

C_Cube - any ideas on the vertical line ? Its a 4000 box on Bromley tho. Equivelent on Langley is the 4010.

ignite
23-07-2003, 07:40
Alright matey, I think Ignite is meaning the line way down the screen in the active video, the vertical line not the horizontal line 23 signalling.

Yep, it is the vertical white line I was talking about. Today we did get Paramount when I switched on the TV, but the white line was in the background of the picture until I changed channel, then it went away.

Well, only another 8 weeks to go with the NTL box. We are moving, and will almost certainly go back to having a Sky box. At least I can get the box to be on the channel I want, and with our video, we can set the Sky channel we want to record within the videos programming and it will automatically change the Sky box to that channel.

Thanks for all the replies.

Andy

SMHarman
23-07-2003, 08:44
I was talking about the horizontal lines though

It is appearing below the black widescreen bar at the top of the screen and above the picture. It was on E4 last night during the West Wing.

TV switched to Widescreen so read the WSS.

SMHarman
23-07-2003, 08:45

Well, only another 8 weeks to go with the NTL box. We are moving, and will almost certainly go back to having a Sky box. At least I can get the box to be on the channel I want, and with our video, we can set the Sky channel we want to record within the videos programming and it will automatically change the Sky box to that channel.

If it can switch a sky box, then why can it not switch a ntl box? Or is yours one with the funny IR commands?

ignite
23-07-2003, 14:06
It has an IR sender built into the video machine. You just add the Sky channel number you want to the programming of a timer record, and off it goes.

Panasonic vids can work the other way round with an Panny sat box, and you just enter the programmes you want to record in the personal planner within the EPG and then hit a button on the video, and the Sky box starts the recording on the Panny video.

SMHarman
24-07-2003, 09:00
It has an IR sender built into the video machine. You just add the Sky channel number you want to the programming of a timer record, and off it goes.

Panasonic vids can work the other way round with an Panny sat box, and you just enter the programmes you want to record in the personal planner within the EPG and then hit a button on the video, and the Sky box starts the recording on the Panny video.

I know mine was able to control the analogue NTL STB but cannot deal with 3 digit channel no's so won't work on the digital service.

I was wondering why you needed sky to do this when AFAIK you can switch NTL also.

I think the NTL side depends on whether you box is IRda or IR though.

C_Cube
25-07-2003, 08:52
Opps..... Didn't even see the vertical line.

If the line shows up on different channels then it not in the transmitted video, so I can only assume that the STB is generating the line. Another quirk of liberate ????