PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Free dail-up for NTL BB users

Flubflow
19-05-2004, 21:11
Here's an idea.
NTL should give free dial-up internet access to broadband customers.
Why? I hear you all ask. ;)
Well, when your BB connection is down due to an NTL fault then, as a small way of compensation, you should be allowed to access the internet via their dailup service completely free and unlimited during the BB outage.
To avoid abuse, perhaps just a few days worth of free dialup access per month should be enough to cover most BB outage situations.
They could even use it as a selling point..."Free! You can use dial-up, whenever your BB goes t*ts-up"

ntl customer
19-05-2004, 21:18
Pipex already offer this as standard at no extra cost, although it does not get switched on until your fault gets escalated to BT.

Derek
19-05-2004, 21:28
I'm pretty sure you can (or used to) be able to access dialup using the 0800 number and your broadband username/password.

Dunno for sure. Maybe monkeybreath would be able to confirm one way or another.

Marge
19-05-2004, 21:40
I'm pretty sure you can (or used to) be able to access dialup using the 0800 number and your broadband username/password.

Dunno for sure. Maybe monkeybreath would be able to confirm one way or another.

No you can't cos the broadband email addys are set up as mailboxes only

homealone
19-05-2004, 22:06
I don't know if i could be ar$ed, to be honest. :erm:

- don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but having removed my dialup modem & disabled all serial ports to free up the interrupts, for me, it would be more hassle than waiting for the broadband connection to come back ;)

th'engineer
19-05-2004, 22:17
With the massive investment in NTL network and forthcoming changes you should not need it .
It should never let you down

andygrif
20-05-2004, 00:43
Here's an idea.
NTL should give free dial-up internet access to broadband customers.
Why? I hear you all ask. ;)
Well, when your BB connection is down due to an NTL fault then, as a small way of compensation, you should be allowed to access the internet via their dailup service completely free and unlimited during the BB outage.
To avoid abuse, perhaps just a few days worth of free dialup access per month should be enough to cover most BB outage situations.
They could even use it as a selling point..."Free! You can use dial-up, whenever your BB goes t*ts-up"

I seem to remember a lot of people asking for this when ntl discontined their free dial up for anyone with an ntl line. I also felt strongly that they should keep this available for BB customers at the time, however since moving over I do have to say that there have only been a handful of occasions where I would have needed it, and I still have the PAYG ntl dial-up - which if I could be bothered to claim back the cost of the calls at the time I would.

I do think it is a useful 'added value' feature for premium BB customers however, that in theory would cost virtually nothing to implement.

Chris W
20-05-2004, 01:35
I don't think a free unlimited dialup account is necessary. A payg dialup is possible, and this is available to people who are on BB, infact i have one myself. to sign up for one, just go to https://autoreg.autoregister.net .

At the end of the day, the broadband packages are for residential use, so people should be able to survive for the time of an outage without their connection. Ok, so you could argue that some people experience a lot of problems, but the vast majority of these complain and get money back for the time without service so IMHO implementing a free dial up for backup is not necessary.