PDA

View Full Version : Multiple O/s and ip addresses

MrFijjitt
19-05-2004, 16:58
Hello all, :Sun:
I want to boot my machine with more than one operating system. I want Win98 and WinXP to run with internet. I am an existing NTL customer, Using USB with one of their modems. Do I have to install the same NTL software twice ? (Once for each O/S) Will I then have to have 2 ip addresses? Or is there a better way? If anyone can shed some light...

SMHarman
19-05-2004, 18:08
You will need to install the USB drivers for both OSs, you will need to ensure TCP/IP is running on both, but that is all.

There is no need to install the NTL software as such. Just let the OS discover the attached USB hardware and point it in the direction of the correct driver.

Both will probably use the same IP address. Both automatically lease and renew the address, so it might change when you switch OSs but this would be transparent to you.

Jon T
19-05-2004, 18:12
No,

Once the second O/S has been installed, just install the USB drivers for your cable modem. As the MAC address for the USB interface will be the same irrelevent of the O/S used, you will probably get the same IP address.

Even better, consider installing a network card to connect to your cable modem instead, that way you won't even need to bother with drivers for it.

Jon

Chris W
19-05-2004, 18:15
Even better, consider installing a network card to connect to your cable modem instead, that way you won't even need to bother with drivers for it.

urm.... want you need to install the drivers for the network card on both o/s's.... if i am wrong can someone give me the explanation as to why not!

MB

MrFijjitt
19-05-2004, 18:25
Thanks for your advice ;) .
Hmm, and what a rapid response :) .
Will be looking here in future...

dragon
19-05-2004, 18:48
urm.... want you need to install the drivers for the network card on both o/s's.... if i am wrong can someone give me the explanation as to why not!

MB
probably not on xp if it reconises the network card it will automatcilly install the nessacery driver, so you wont have to install the driver as it will do if for you when it detects the card.

Jon T
19-05-2004, 19:11
I meant my post to be read as saying that you would no longer need drivers for the cable modem part of things, I fully understand that drivers will be needed for the NIC (maybe not with XP).

Jon

Mauldor
19-05-2004, 20:30
I meant my post to be read as saying that you would no longer need drivers for the cable modem part of things, I fully understand that drivers will be needed for the NIC (maybe not with XP).

Jon
LOl i know what your trying to say - but all hardware needs a driver - its just that if the OS (any) finds it has one - it does not prompt you. I have tried a bunch of the latest linux distro btw and they installed everything without a driver required (as they already had them).

USB Uses System resources - that is why people are trying to point this dude in the direction of Network card - these can be had for very little cost by the way.

dragon
19-05-2004, 21:12
it might be worth checking to see if he already has one some computers have it built in

MrFijjitt
20-05-2004, 11:21
OK,
So it looks like I should get meself a ethernet card.
I've got a new hdd and wanted 3 operating systems in total.
One for me games (Win98), One for almost everything else(winXP) and finally winXP exclusive to Sound Production (with no internet)..
I figured that cubase and similar would run better if my system wasn't running firewall and antivirus..
Thanks guys....

SMHarman
20-05-2004, 11:43
Definately get an ether card.

Do you really need all these os's? What games do you have that will not run on XP? Being as you can disable AV firewall etc, or better still just put a router in the way that will hardware firewall you will their be a massive performance gain. You can just click on the internet lock on Zone alarm for example. Being as you probably should buy two copies of XP for the dual boot it sounds a bit of overkill.