PDA

View Full Version : Frontpage 2003 upload to NTL webspace

MJB
19-05-2004, 15:48
What am I doing wrong!!!!

In the settings for FP2003 I'm selecting FTP and entering ftp://upload.ntlworld.com/homepage.ntlworld.com/username - but after it prompts me for my NTL username and password is says the NTL ftp doesn't exist.

Help appreciated on this.

Bifta
19-05-2004, 15:55
you don't need anything upload.ntlworld.com afaik, the username and password will dictate which account you're uploading to.

Chris W
19-05-2004, 16:14
as bifta says, you should just need to use upload.ntlworld.com as the ftp address, and the un and pw that you were given.

If it is not working, try browsing to ftp://username:password@upload.ntlworld.com

Bear in mind also that the ntl webspace does not support frontpage extensions ;)

MJB
19-05-2004, 22:07
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the non-support of extensions. Rather put the mockers on it :td:

Chris W
19-05-2004, 22:52
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the non-support of extensions. Rather put the mockers on it :td:

check out the packages from i-websolutions... for 99p a month you can't go wrong :tu: and they support front page extensions, cgi, php... the whole lot. service is great too :)

MJB
19-05-2004, 23:12
I already use a package supplied with another web site I have (NetObjects Fusion). I was just trying to get FP to work....... Guess I'll stick to what I know!

lewy08
12-02-2008, 16:37
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but I have a similar problem.

I use Frontpage 2003, and have NTL (Virgin) cable and I want to upload my pages to my NTL space.

I have done so in the past with ease but i've had a system problem and re-inserting my ftp address etc, does not appear to be giving me what i need.

In the "remote website properties" i'm using the 'FTP' option, inserting the 'ftp://upload.ntlworld.com' address. IF and when it asks for the username and password, it accepts it and continues to search the site stating "Listing subsites in ftp://upload.ntlworld.com.

But it never stops searching, i have to manually 'stop' it.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

(I'm aware that NTL doesn't support FPage Ext's but I'm just trying to upload a basic page to ensure my settings are correct before I spend anymore time building them again)

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

this time i left it running whilst browsing for help.

after approx 20 mins it timeouts and says:

could not find a webserver at 'upload.ntlworld.com' on port 21.

what will this mean?

lewy08
25-02-2008, 17:43
is there no sanity out there?:shocked:

lewy08
05-03-2008, 17:39
i guess not!!

AntiSilence
05-03-2008, 17:43
Well it's most likely a problem with the FTP server. Have you also tried using a different FTP application, such as CuteFTP/SmartFTP/FileZilla?

lewy08
05-03-2008, 18:25
thank you for your response...

i dont think it is FP as i've used it in the past

also i think i've inserted the correct addresses now as my files are showing up on the remote site side of the page...

but now i am still getting the "port 21" msg when i try to upload, and i have tried to ensure my network hub is allowing port 21, as far as i can tell it is...

do you think it could be the network hub software or something else blocking it?

AntiSilence
05-03-2008, 21:11
Port 21 is the standard port for FTP so most routers/firewalls etc allow communications through. If your files are showing as on the remote site, I'm not sure what could be causing that.

homealone
05-03-2008, 22:05
try just putting the server as upload.ntlworld.com

- i.e. without the ftp:// part

- also make sure that your user name is just the name & doesn't include the @ntlworld.com part

- I just set up a connection to my (ex) NTL webspace using FireFTP & it worked fine, but I haven't a clue about Front Page, sorry.

AntiSilence
05-03-2008, 22:07
Yes, don't use the ftp:// part, I thought that it was FP putting that bit onto the address lol.

I use SmartFTP and it connects fine to upload.ntlworld.com

lewy08
07-03-2008, 14:13
ok, i'll give it a try without the ftp://

thanks for the advice

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

when i try to amend the address and click 'ok' it doesn't accept it, so i think it does need the 'ftp://' in front

TheNorm
07-03-2008, 14:16
There are some easy-to-follow instructions here: http://www.jackiestewart.co.uk/files/ntl%20webspace.htm

lewy08
07-03-2008, 14:29
i've given up with frontpage, which is annoying as i originally found it easy to sync.

i've d/loaded the smart ftp software and it worked first time, but i have to say the screen is very very busy with a lot of windows/frames

what software do you use for the creating/editing of web pages?

AntiSilence
07-03-2008, 17:06
i've given up with frontpage, which is annoying as i originally found it easy to sync.

i've d/loaded the smart ftp software and it worked first time, but i have to say the screen is very very busy with a lot of windows/frames

You can remove some of the windows shown in SmartFTP from the View menu > Other Windows.

I do ASP.NET web applications using Visual Web Developer (the code behind the pages I use is C# if there's any coding needed).

webcrawler2050
08-03-2008, 07:13

Frontpage doesn't work on the ntl servers as they do not have FrontPage extensions installed - this is necessary to work with the components of Frontpage.

So that'ill be the reason why FP wont work with WM - Creating Dreamweaver is always best FP is rubbish and really is gettin gout of date.

Vlad_Dracul
08-03-2008, 20:27
I agree..leave the ftp bit out. Ive recently switched to Dreamweaver CS3 BTW after using FP for a while. Its much better than messing round with FP extensions..

webcrawler2050
15-03-2008, 19:32
Yarp - FPX is a right pain in the rear end and there's massive security concnerns with FPX as well!