PDA

View Full Version : AOL drops 1mb price from £35 to £30 per month

etccarmageddon
19-05-2004, 11:48
http://www.aol.co.uk/products/broadband/cost.html

strange considering NTL were recently compelled to increase their 1mb service price to £38 a month. :dozey:

Neil
19-05-2004, 11:54
http://www.aol.co.uk/products/broadband/cost.html

strange considering NTL were recently compelled to increase their 1mb service price to £38 a month. :dozey:

You might think it strange that AOL charge a customer £8.00 less for a BB package that uses the same network that ntl's does, but I don't-that's ntl all over. :rolleyes:

AOL's is a far superior package, & all for £8.00 less per month.

How many more times to I have to try to convince people that ntl are simply uncompetitive?? :angel:

Inclusive extras.

AOL Broadband Platinum includes a range of other services as part of the package, including email and Video Instant Messenger↞¢, home networking support, McAfee® firewall protection and advanced spam filters, all at no extra cost.

Now tell me that ntl are being competitive....

Just for the record-I'm not aiming this at 'you' personally ETC, it's a generic 'you'!!

http://www.aol.co.uk/products/broadband/platinum/index.html?promo=228937

Chris
19-05-2004, 12:16
According to this page, the 1mb service is ADSL only

http://www.aol.co.uk/products/comparison.html

GazzaB
19-05-2004, 12:26
Just to clarify, the gold (600k service) is avaliable on ntl or BT the platinum 1mb is only on BT at present. Although it does seem crazy that 1mb with AOL is £8.00 cheaper than ntl 1mb. The difference nearly covers the cost of the BT line rental!

etccarmageddon
19-05-2004, 15:10

that's right baby! but regardless of the transport method... you're still getting a premium product for a lot less that NTL offer it.

Flubflow
19-05-2004, 15:19

Don't you get a better upstream speed with ADSL though?

Chris
19-05-2004, 15:45
Don't you get a better upstream speed with ADSL though?
I believe you do. But the point is, the price comparison between AOL 512 and NTL 600 is not on the same basis as between NTL 1mb and AOL 1mb, as you can get AOL 512 via Cable, but you can't get AOL 1mb via cable.

Defiant
19-05-2004, 15:53
Hmm so there 512/600 service is £24.99 too. So I could get the 600 service via the NTL network with AOL but have no cap either :)

Chris
19-05-2004, 15:54
Hmm so there 512/600 service is £24.99 too. So I could get the 600 service via the NTL network with AOL but have no cap either :)
There's no doubt the AOL deal is a good one. Only the fact that they don't appear to support Mac on broadband has prevented me taking a closer look at it.

Defiant
19-05-2004, 15:58
er just thought. I'm no NTL techy so dont know how there network is setup but when NTL raise there 600 to 750 will the AOL customers get the same increase or will they be able to stop that ?

I'd have thought it may be tricky

It would be a gr8 deal if NTL couldn't stop that going through to them though.

Chris
19-05-2004, 16:02
er just thought. I'm no NTL techy so dont know how there network is setup but when NTL raise there 600 to 750 will the AOL customers get the same increase or will they be able to stop that ?

I'd have thought it may be tricky

It would be a gr8 deal if NTL couldn't stop that going through to them though.
From what I've read in other threads, NTL sends a config file to your cable modem which tells it what speed it is limited to. If you are an AOL subscriber, they would just send a different config file to your modem, to ensure your speed is appropriate.

Richard M
19-05-2004, 18:42
There's no doubt the AOL deal is a good one. Only the fact that they don't appear to support Mac on broadband has prevented me taking a closer look at it.

Surely you can just plug in the modem via ethernet and away you go?
Unless you are referring to AOL offering technical support with the product?

Chris
19-05-2004, 18:56
Surely you can just plug in the modem via ethernet and away you go?
Unless you are referring to AOL offering technical support with the product?

I'd be surprised if it didn't work the way you describe. But from what I've seen of AOL (and admittedly this was years ago, with dial up) the 'browser' you use to access their own network (you know, the one that works with keywords and all that rubbish) is very heavily modified for the purpose. If I wanted to go to ordinary websites, I used to use IE (goodness only knows which version, this was maybe 8 years ago!) but to view AOL's own content you had to use AOL's own software. It would seem a little pointless to sign up with AOL and then miss out on everything that makes AOL different to other ISPs, especially as AOL's broadband service includes a lot of the content that NTL make you pay extra to subscribe to.

Colin
28-05-2004, 09:00

AOL can use NTL's network for there BB. So if an NTL customer wants AOL, they will not need to get a BT line. Unfortunetly the same thing does not apply with Telewest customers.

I'd be surprised if it didn't work the way you describe. But from what I've seen of AOL (and admittedly this was years ago, with dial up) the 'browser' you use to access their own network (you know, the one that works with keywords and all that rubbish) is very heavily modified for the purpose. If I wanted to go to ordinary websites, I used to use IE (goodness only knows which version, this was maybe 8 years ago!) but to view AOL's own content you had to use AOL's own software. It would seem a little pointless to sign up with AOL and then miss out on everything that makes AOL different to other ISPs, especially as AOL's broadband service includes a lot of the content that NTL make you pay extra to subscribe to.

I know what you mean, i hate using AOL because of there own software.

Saying that, the new AOL 9.0 allows you to use the connection only, so you do not need to open up the AOL's software

Russ
28-05-2004, 09:06
Am I the only one here who, irregardless of how cheap they might be, would avoid AOL software like the plague? I had their dial-up service a few months ago and never before had I experienced so many browser crashes.

Bifta
28-05-2004, 09:37
Am I the only one here who, irregardless of how cheap they might be, would avoid AOL software like the plague? I had their dial-up service a few months ago and never before had I experienced so many browser crashes.

Plus, once you give them f**kers at AOL your address, that's it, you're condemned to marketing literature and AOL CD's coming through your door for the rest of your life :(

Russ
28-05-2004, 11:21
Yep, never a truer word spoken.....

MovedGoalPosts
28-05-2004, 11:41
I too would avoid AOL like the plague, but mainly because I don't want to be trapped by it's software. For some the software is an atraction. My boss loves AOL for the inbuilt controls that ensure his kids can only go to the sites he allows. I know you can get netnanny and similar stuff elsewhere, but you have to search for it. AOL give it to you on a plate.

There may not be much to choose from to separate prices of the AOL 512k and NTL 600 services. But at the 1meg level the difference is staggerring, when you consider ntls iminent price rise, even with their yet to be launched speed increases.

The real point here is Ntls pricing is going in the opposite direction to the industry. It demonstrates the real danger that ntl are becoming less competetive than other ISPs. That will reduce new customer signups, whilst exisiting customers are likely to leave for cheaper options (where alternate services exist). That has to be a worrying trend for ntl's long term health. In turn it is worrying for it's customers, who want to see services evolve. Ntl staff must also have concerns as their livelihood depends on ntls success in the marketplace.