PDA

View Full Version : Considering NTL for broadband - the best value for money?

Mikey Dub
17-05-2004, 22:42
Hi guys

This is a fantastic forum - the NTL guys especially seem real supportive, sorry if this topic has already been done to death but I scrolled back 5 pages and couldnt find anything, I'm planning on going for an NTL broadband package (probably the 600 one) getting my own ADSL router as I want to use it for XBOX Live and internet access.

I'm fairly technically minded and computer literate, my main concern is billing and general slowness/loss of service, my question is, is the service good value for money - I'm not asking if its the best, just if I can expect speedy, uncapped access to the internet 90% of the time from these guys? And if not, is there anyone comparable in price thats better?

Cheers! ;)

Mike

Charlie_Bubble
17-05-2004, 22:45
Well, if you're getting NTL broadband an ADSL router won't be much good. You'll be needing a normal router. ADSL router normally has an ADSL modem in it. You'll need one with an ethernet connection in it.

Speed is ok, customer service is hit and miss. When it's going it's ok, but if you get a problem then it's sometimes like banging your head against the wall to try and get it fixed. They will fob you off with several engineer visits before they actually think about getting to the root of the real problem.

Newsgroup servers are practically non-existant, mail is patchy, they use proxy servers so the pages sometimes take time to load and you may have to refresh to make sure you haven't got a cached one.

Oh, forgot, there's a 1Gig a day cap. Not strongly enforced at the moment, but you never know.

Tezcatlipoca
17-05-2004, 23:04
Hi guys

This is a fantastic forum - the NTL guys especially seem real supportive, sorry if this topic has already been done to death but I scrolled back 5 pages and couldnt find anything, I'm planning on going for an NTL broadband package (probably the 600 one) getting my own ADSL router as I want to use it for XBOX Live and internet access.

I'm fairly technically minded and computer literate, my main concern is billing and general slowness/loss of service, my question is, is the service good value for money - I'm not asking if its the best, just if I can expect speedy, uncapped access to the internet 90% of the time from these guys? And if not, is there anyone comparable in price thats better?

Cheers! ;)

Mike

:welcome: Mike :)

As Charlie_Bubble said, you'll need a normal router (e.g. Linksys BEFSR41, ~£35 from Amazon.co.uk), not an ADSL router.

Also, in case you were wondering, don't be conned into subscribing to the "Broadband & Console Service" to use your XBox. It is uneccessary (IMO ;) ). The £5/month (soon to be £2 I think) simply provides a 2nd IP address, plus "XBox Live support".

It is cheaper & easier to use a router or ICS (technically it is against the AUP to use an XBox without the NTL console service....but the AUP is very badly written, plus they do not seem to enforce this particular part of it anyway, & probably can't enforce it). [See the XBox forum for Useful Info (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16) ]

Billing.....I haven't had any problems in a long time (nearly 3 years), but some people do (see http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=11446 in the Billing/Installation Forum (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=34) for problems with the new system). Probably happens with most companies though.

Cap....As Charlie_Bubble said, there is a 1 GB per day download "guideline". It does not really seem to be enforced much though. Bear in mind that other ISPs are also introducing caps now, some of which are much smaller & also are enforced (e.g. Wanadoo has a 2GB per *month* cap on its budget 512k service, 15GB per month on its normal 512k service, & 30GB per month on its 1Mb service).

Speed, reliability, etc....*shrug*. Depends. Some people will tell you they have never had a problem ever, while others may have no end of problems. One issue some people have is with the transparent web proxies....oh, & also the often dodgy pop3 email servers (see the email/proxy/webspace forum (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=31) for examples)...and the newsgroup problems...

It can often take ages to get through to cusomer services or tech support (but I've seen worse...e.g. O2)

Enjoy your stay here, & enjoy your upcoming BB - whoever you get it from :)

Matuka
18-05-2004, 00:00
I'd suggest going through more of the posts on this site before signing up.

If your after Xbox use, then ADSL services have been shown to provide better connections & allow higher player counts to be hosted.

Tezcatlipoca
18-05-2004, 00:16

If your after Xbox use, then ADSL services have been shown to provide better connections & allow higher player counts to be hosted.

Good points :tu:

XBoxLive really needs a high upload, certainly at least if you want to host.

512k ADSL services have a 256k upload, whereas the NTL 600k service only has a 128k upload. The only way to get a 256k upload with NTL, is to have the 1Mb service.

Paul
18-05-2004, 00:21
Where in the UK are you Mikey ?

Smilie
18-05-2004, 02:05

well if u go through the forum more u will mostly see bad things about NTL
as people mainly or only post here cause they have a problem with thier service ;)

regarding the the topic
NTL broadband is good value money for speed
the 600k/128k (soon 750k/128k)for £25 is very good value
the only problem is the 128k upload

there is a 1GIG cap which alot dont like (including myself) but not many have heard from NTL
think u can go over the limit twice every 14days
i myself have been over the limit numerous times but never received THE letter which from the forums i read only 1 batch of them was sent once
but never know if they will enforce it
luckly i have been with them over the 1year contract so if they do really enforce i can cancel in a month notice

with their customer support and gaming pings
i have had high pings a few times over the year and a half with NTL (due to oversubscribed UBR) which i needed to call custormer support
the longest i have waited on the phone line was 40mins-1hour before till i was able to talk to some1
after u get speak with some1 they do try and help u
after going thru alot of checks (restart modem,spyware check,speed check etc) :dozey:
and if needed a engineer will be sent in a few days (my cousin with BT had to wait a week once)
just make sure at the time u are phoning the problem is happening

but when its running fine its quite fast to alot of euro servers

i dont think u will get many answers about other ISP thats comparable in price thats better in this forum
as most if not all reading this forum are NTL user
might wanna check out ADSLguide (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/)

Mikey Dub
18-05-2004, 07:16
Thanks! I'm like a babe in the woods with the difference between ADSL, routers, and whatnot - friend of mine has a router with a broadband modem built in - shares with his Xbox and home computer, thats what I'm after...

Thanks for the tip about the upload speed on Xbox Live - I may get the 1mb service in that case, I'm on the Xbox Live site as well right now, there seems to be a specific support section for NTLworld users, I'll also check the Xbox live specific forum. - Xbox live site also seem to have a list of tested routers, I'll check that.

I live in Southampton, I've been asking about broadband from NTL for months and months with no positive news, yesterday their website checker told me that they DO do it in my area now, so I'll have to double check in any case before getting too excited.

And the point about only seeing the negative side here is true, thats all people ever talk about :) - however most of the negative points seem to be fairly straightforward (if I may say so) technical issues rather than any serious letdowns by NTL.

Again, I'm amazed at the speed, knowledge level and positivity of the responses here, I was expecting some flames or a less helpful response, thanks a lot for your help guys.

Mike

<Edit> Note, the Xbox live site states that it is compatible with the NTL 600 service? I'll post regarding this on the Xbox forum anyways, Ta.

badnbusy
18-05-2004, 08:04
Hi Mikey. When (if) you signup to ntl, they supply you with a Cable modem. All you will need to buy is a 4 port router (not an ADSL one!) they only cost about 35quid now.

When you get the router, it will have 5 ports. 1 for the WAN, and 4 for the LAN. You connect the ntl supplied modem to the WAN, and your PC to a LAN port. If you have an XBOX, connect that to a LAN port as well.

That's basically it. The router should detect your cable modem and set it all up for you.

I must also point out, that in general practise, I have found ntl's pings are much lower than ADSL ones.

For an ADSL v Cable comparison, see my site here: www.dslzoneuk.net/adslvcable.php

Overall, i recommend cable as a far more attractive offer, and less hassle with messing about getting activated and setup for ADSL (which could fail)

I think most people would agree with me that when their ntl connection is working normally, the speeds are very good :) Whereas with ADSL, it all depends on the quality of your telephone line.

James

SMHarman
18-05-2004, 10:52
<snip>

I think most people would agree with me that when their ntl connection is working normally, the speeds are very good :) Whereas with ADSL, it all depends on the quality of your telephone line.

James

I would recommend it too, works well most of the time, pop servers can be a bit flaky (so I'm told) but the SMTP ones seem OK. Seems to be as reliable in Hertford any other provider. The Luton call centre seems to be answering calls within 30 seconds (the last two times I called), so all in all I think it is good value (especially at 750k) and works well.

tkiely
18-05-2004, 11:15
Hi Mike, welcome to the site.

I am an ex ntl user, still hanging around the forum because it's a great place full of good people.

I had ntl for 6 years. In the beginning the broadband was wonderful, I went for 2 years without a hiccough. Unfortunately things just went downhill over the last 4 years. VERY variable ping times, repeated periods of dissconection, appaling mail services and 40 minute waits to speak to a CS who ( no offense guys and gals) was often unable to fix the problem. Billing probs added to the fun, it took them just under a year and seven goes to make a DD work. Once it was working they seemed to think they could use it to plunder my bank account however they liked!!!!! ----calm,---calm-----

sorry, i often start to rant when recalling those golden days.

Anyway,I ended up on the 1meg service which seemed pretty good until I tried my friends ADSL512. Of course the max download speed is around 500k but the web browsing was fantastic. The lack of proxies lets it fly. Also as mentioned before, the upload is 256 so thats a bonus.

I finally chopped ntl and got freedom2surf adsl and haven't had a single gripe so far.PINGs are rock steady, way down at 20ms for major servers, my PC is only 2 hops from Linx rather than the 15-20 while on ntl, which has to help. All this for £22.50 per mth as well!

Don't get me wrong, there can be a good side to ntl services, as James said, when it works its great. CHeck out the pricing of other options if you are after value.

Whichever way you go, good luck, and stick around here.

Terry

Mikey Dub
18-05-2004, 20:13
When you get the router, it will have 5 ports. 1 for the WAN, and 4 for the LAN. You connect the ntl supplied modem to the WAN, and your PC to a LAN port. If you have an XBOX, connect that to a LAN port as well.

James
Cool - thanks, saves me scratching my head over what to get, Cheers!

And dont talk to me about comparisons!! I just signed up for twelve months, they're doing a first three month half price offer - seems good.

Thanks guys, I may be stopping by again :D

Mikey Dub
19-05-2004, 22:59
Ooops, didnt do enough research, looks like AOL do a 512 piggyback cable service, 512 download 256 upload, the same installation package, ie, free install and free modem (plus free webcam) and for 25.00 as well - whats more interesting, is their 1mb(ps?) service is only £30.00 - both are uncapped, whats more - free technical support with AOL...

Think I may make use of my two week cooling off period.:erm:

Graham M
19-05-2004, 23:30
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Dont touch AOL with a pointy stick their software will take over your PC and never let go! :(

etccarmageddon
20-05-2004, 08:16
Ooops, didnt do enough research, looks like AOL do a 512 piggyback cable service, 512 download 256 upload, the same installation package, ie, free install and free modem (plus free webcam) and for 25.00 as well - whats more interesting, is their 1mb(ps?) service is only £30.00 - both are uncapped, whats more - free technical support with AOL...

you're also considering ADSL - if so then check your phone line on the BT adsl checker - you may find you are too far from the exchange to get a speed above 512. (I think you need to be within 4km)

dilli-theclaw
20-05-2004, 08:18

AOL - I think I'm going to be sick :sick: :sick: :sick:

dremmel
20-05-2004, 09:30
IIRC AOHell :td: was the first hell site ever published, and things have only got worse:rolleyes: