PDA

View Full Version : renewing IP address

bigsinky
17-05-2004, 02:06
why does may cable modem lose its Ip address. i have it connected to a Netgear router. is it the router or the cable modem that loses it address. i have noticed that it only seems to be when downloading via bittorrent that this happens. i have the router open on the ports that BT listens on and nothing else. any advice appeciated.

thanks

big sinky

Paul
17-05-2004, 09:06
Your question is a bit confusing - what exactly do you believe is losing it's ip address and what message do you get to make you think this ?

stamp92
17-05-2004, 10:26
i've been having same problem bigsinky - its been happening for months. I'm not sure either if its ntl problem or router problem. I have been in touch with router manufacturer - linksys - and they say its ntl's problem.

-----------------
Pem
-----------------

Re : Loosing IP Address

What bigsinky means is that the router leases an IP address from the DHCP server for 24 hours and it should renew it when/before the lease expires but it doesnt renew it so he looses his connection. He then probably has to either manually goto on his router config page and get the router to renew the ip or he might even have to reset the router/cable modem.

You dont get a message to say your ip has been lost your internet connection just stops working because no incoming traffic gets past cable modem and no outgoing traffic gets past router because the dhcp released ip hasnt been renewed.

Chris W
17-05-2004, 10:48
you say you are using a linksys router? which model is it and which firmeware version do you have?

bigsinky
17-05-2004, 17:37
i have a netgear router. as Stamp92 says i have to switch all off. reboot the modem and the router, then switch on the computer, repair the network connection then go to the router config page and apply settings again. surely this should nt happen. like i said it happens sporadically but even more so when using bittorrent. i have set up the router for port forwarding of the ports that bittorrent uses. i have the latest v2 version of the netgear rp614 so no firmware upgrades are necessary.

cheers

big sinky

rdhw
17-05-2004, 19:42
The problem with BitTorrent and domestic-market routers is usually down to the flaky firmware of cheap routers: most brands are as bad as each other. BitTorrent, of its nature, is capable of completely saturating your downstream and upstream cable bandwidth, and domestic routers do not behave well in those circumstances. A work-around is for the user to employ a BT client which is capable of rate-limiting its demands, and setting those rate-limits to be just less than the cable limits, so that there is some headroom for the router to work within (for instance, it can refresh its own DHCP allocation from the ISP).

There BitTorrent problems are not NTL problems, they are problems in the routers themselves.

baldy
17-05-2004, 20:49
The problem with BitTorrent and domestic-market routers is usually down to the flaky firmware of cheap routers: most brands are as bad as each other. BitTorrent, of its nature, is capable of completely saturating your downstream and upstream cable bandwidth, and domestic routers do not behave well in those circumstances. A work-around is for the user to employ a BT client which is capable of rate-limiting its demands, and setting those rate-limits to be just less than the cable limits, so that there is some headroom for the router to work within (for instance, it can refresh its own DHCP allocation from the ISP).

There BitTorrent problems are not NTL problems, they are problems in the routers themselves.

I completely agree with the above especially when used with a Linksys BEFSR41 router ( I have one :( ). They cannot cope with this kind of use. You have options though:

1. get a different router
2. rate limit (see above)
3. don't use Bittorrent

bigsinky
19-05-2004, 21:16
thnanks for the replies guys. i will throttle back BT and see if that helps.

cheers

big sinky

AdeRickus
20-05-2004, 09:37
I have a BEFSR41, the newer firmware is flaky, the old ones are actually better :confused:

Try version

1.44.2, Dec 13 2002

downloadable here

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/

there are others if you peruse :pp