PDA

View Full Version : Switching from STB to SACM

BlueMeany
16-05-2004, 16:45
Engineer is coming out to install a SACM on Wednesday, I'm currently on 1mb STB.

I know this subject has been covered in the forums before... but there just seems like so much info, apologies.

How much will the engineer do? Will he just dump the modem and leave me to it? (Incidentally, how big are the modems?).

The sales rep said something about having to re-register emails etc which didn't make any sense to me whatsoever... will I lose my email addresses that I've had for over 2years?

Hopefully will be using the Ethernet card that I'm using at the moment with STB. Do I, if I'm left to set it up... follow the instructions in the sticky at the top of this forum?

Any help that will assist me getting back up and running when it is installed would be most handy... even if it is just a forum link. I'm pretty computer savvy so should be able to understand most things. :dunce:

Marge
16-05-2004, 17:03
I did this recently and was dead easy

Just plug the blue ethernet cable into the modem and pc. Open up your browswer and go to https://autoreg.autoregister.net You'l need your pin number, serial number to use is ntl-ct8-cj486

Follow the registration and you'll need to set up a new email address. Once registered the email addresses from the STB account can be transferred onto the SACM account.

Modem is quite smallish, he will connect it to the existing conx or wherever you want it. Easy peasy, I was up and running in under 5 minutes (and that was with reconnecting my router too!!)

BlueMeany
16-05-2004, 17:07
I did this recently and was dead easy

You'l need your pin number, serial number to use is ntl-ct8-cj486

Is the pin number the same one I used for the STB setup... or will ntl send out another "welcome letter" with a new pin?

So, I'll have to basically 'pretend' I'm a new customer and get a new email account, then once that is setup I'll be ok (surely the mail settings won't change anyway?)?

Marge
16-05-2004, 17:12
No sorry, pin number for SACM and pid number for STB. It's not about being a new customer, the system can migrate dialup email accounts but not broadband email accounts. Would make things a lot easier if it could :rolleyes:

threadbare
16-05-2004, 17:12
mail settings will be the same as before. you will get a new email address on reg but if your keeping the stb for tv the old email addy will still work

scrotnig
16-05-2004, 20:20
The old STB email address can be migrated across from the STB account to the SACM account once the SACM is registered, you'll then have two email accounts and can choose which to use.

If you'd like this doing for you, drop me a PM. Also if you've not received your PIN yet, drop me a PM as well.