PDA

View Full Version : possible to get modem to accept euro docsys

forcer
15-05-2004, 17:14
i believe ntl has two lines, docsys and euro docsys.

i am using those flat silver ntl modems, but i want to switch to SB4100 modem, but apparently my modem cant work with the different line as my modem is docsys and the line is euro docsys, does any1 know anything about this or how i can get it to work?

threadbare
15-05-2004, 17:33
what ambit modem do u have?

are in ex CW area or original ntl?

why do want use a surfboard?

edit: btw if u are in a euro docsis ex CW area the sb4100 will not work

paulyoung666
15-05-2004, 17:35
what ambit modem do u have?

are in ex CW area or original ntl?

why do want use a surfboard?

i was wondering the same as the only difference is the colour and shape :erm:

threadbare
15-05-2004, 18:01
i was wondering the same as the only difference is the colour and shape :erm:
the only thing i can think is that it is possible to change upstreams using the surfboard - otherwise there is not much point swapping

paulyoung666
15-05-2004, 18:04
i was thinking the same myself :erm:

badnbusy
15-05-2004, 23:40
Surfboards are DAVIC arent they? Which means they wont work if you live in an ex-cwc place.

forcer
16-05-2004, 10:39
its not actually me wanting to change over. i am located in hartlepool and have been using an SB4100 since i had my broadband installed ages ago. thats the mdoem they gave me, but a client in sunderland is having trouble with his and i suggested the SB4100 because i have never had any problems with it, but people i know with those flat silver ones get computer crashes if it disconnects and lots of other random sh*t happens... so i was just asking in favour of him! He lives in sunderland and apparently on eurodocsys so it wont work, is there no way to fix it?

paulyoung666
16-05-2004, 10:58
its not actually me wanting to change over. i am located in hartlepool and have been using an SB4100 since i had my broadband installed ages ago. thats the mdoem they gave me, but a client in sunderland is having trouble with his and i suggested the SB4100 because i have never had any problems with it, but people i know with those flat silver ones get computer crashes if it disconnects and lots of other random sh*t happens... so i was just asking in favour of him! He lives in sunderland and apparently on eurodocsys so it wont work, is there no way to fix it?

hello neighbour ( i am in norton , stockton ) , not sure whether you can get it sorted , tbh i aint heard about the problems you / he is experiencing , is it an ntl area , i would be getting onto them with probs like that :erm: :)

Bill C
16-05-2004, 11:00

Sorry but its to do with the chipset and tuner heads in the modem as well. They are totaly differant. I have some Docsys only modems sat in my test area in Warrington that will end up in the bin soon as we are Euro only here too.

David25
16-05-2004, 13:37
but people i know with those flat silver ones get computer crashes if it disconnects and lots of other random sh*t happens...

Change to ethernet ;)

paulyoung666
16-05-2004, 13:53
Change to ethernet ;)

its a start at least :tu:

threadbare
16-05-2004, 14:27
Change to ethernet ;)definately - these sound like usb issues not modem issues

BBKing
16-05-2004, 21:33
OK, Bill C has touched upon this in his elegant way.

Back in the last century, there were two cable companies. One (CWC), like the far-sighted lantern-jawed pioneers that they are, specified Cisco UBRs with EuroDOCSIS CMTS cards for their cable network, with EuroDOCSIS STBs hanging off them, all designed as a single system.

The other (ntl), low beetle-browed scurrying troglodytes that they were, specified DOCSIS to match the off-the-shelf available cable modems (there weren't really any ED modems back then, DOCSIS is the US protocol designed around the existing US TV channel structure and the first modems were all targeted at the US).

Anyway, what we are left with after the two companies merged is two systems, often in conjoining areas. One of the pre-requisites for the launch of standalone modems in former CWC areas was the availability of a EuroDOCSIS (dual protocol actually) SACM. However, the existing DOCSIS only stock of modems has to be kept off the ED network to avoid annoying technical problems (like the modem not working, in other words).

In the North-East the Wearside area (aka Sunderland) is EuroDOCSIS ex-CWC while Middlesbrough, Hartlepool, Stockton are all DOCSIS original ntl areas. Hence a DOCSIS only modem from the latter areas will NOT work in the Sunderland, come rain, shine or promotion to the Premiership.

In the case of the OP's client in Sunderland, I'd strongly recommend changing to Ethernet, which is nature's way of connecting to broadband. Leave USB for digital cameras and other trinkets. I've not known of any cases of Ethernet crashing a computer in the way USB can.

igorcivkar
12-10-2005, 14:30
i need someone to answer me.
i have cable internet and i have not real IP.
May I use IP from my cable provider?

my cable provider is MOBI CABLE from Macedonia,town Bitola.

i believe ntl has two lines, docsys and euro docsys.

i am using those flat silver ntl modems, but i want to switch to SB4100 modem, but apparently my modem cant work with the different line as my modem is docsys and the line is euro docsys, does any1 know anything about this or how i can get it to work?

It can not work man
:)

Stuart
12-10-2005, 14:37
i need someone to answer me.
i have cable internet and i have not real IP.
May I use IP from my cable provider?

my cable provider is MOBI CABLE from Macedonia,town Bitola.

:welcome: to CableForum.

This site was set up to help NTL and Telewest customers in the United Kingdom, and, as such, we may not be able to help.

If your Cablemodem has been issued a valid IP, it should pick it up automatically. If not, there is probably something wrong, and you would be better off talking to the Technical Support people at Mobi cable.

In future, if you need to talk about a different subject in a thread (as you have done here), please start a new thread to discuss it. It makes the forum easier to follow.

handyman
12-10-2005, 14:48
Another thread brought back too life