PDA

View Full Version : Any way to grab a new IP address?

Xtrm2Matt
13-05-2004, 16:49
Hi,

When i connect my Modem to straight to my PC, and reboot, it grabs a new IP address everytime. However, i want to get a new one, but the Modem connects through the Router, which connects to 2 PCs.

Is there anyway to nab a new IP Address?
(If your wondering why, my 1MBit has been running slower than you can say slow.. some sites take minutes to load, longer in evenings.) :td:

Thanks,
Matt.

Stuart W
13-05-2004, 16:52
My best advice would be to switch the modem of completely overnight.

I'm not with NTL any more (YAY!) but when I was, this seemed tobe an effective way to renew an IP addy.

I believe it may depend on your area though... something about not being ex- C&W springs to mind.....

Hopefully, someone a bit more knowledgable will be along soon ;)

Oh and Welcome to CF :welcome:

Xtrm2Matt
13-05-2004, 16:54
Well i did try for an hour or two, but not for overnight. I've also tried using the Proxy's (Birmingham ones) i was adviced to use.

( Thanks for the welcome, been here a few months, just never bothered posting :dunce: )

threadbare
13-05-2004, 16:57
Hi,

When i connect my Modem to straight to my PC, and reboot, it grabs a new IP address everytime. However, i want to get a new one, but the Modem connects through the Router, which connects to 2 PCs.

Is there anyway to nab a new IP Address?
(If your wondering why, my 1MBit has been running slower than you can say slow.. some sites take minutes to load, longer in evenings.) :td:

Thanks,
Matt.changing your IP address will not resolve this.

you would have to connect the pc to the modem for a while and wait for the IP to expire, even so, this is not guaranteed as the DHCP server will always try and give u the same IP addy) the IP addy u currently have on your router would need to be allocated to someone else before a new IP address is given which can add futher time on the wait. How long this would take will depend on the number of IP addresses on your DHCP server and the number of users.

paulyoung666
13-05-2004, 16:58
another :welcome: for you , try 62.254.128.4 as a proxy , it is working for me :)

Chris W
13-05-2004, 17:00
changing your IP address will not resolve this.

you would have to connect the pc to the modem for a while and wait for the IP to expire, even so, this is not guaranteed as the DHCP server will always try and give u the same IP addy) the IP addy u currently have on your router would need to be allocated to someone else before a new IP address is given which can add futher time on the wait. How long this would take will depend on the number of IP addresses on your DHCP server and the number of users.

you can change the mac address of the router by a digit. If you unplug the modem and do this it will then lease a different ip.

MB

threadbare
13-05-2004, 17:04
you can change the mac address of the router by a digit. If you unplug the modem and do this it will then lease a different ip.

MB that'll work fine as long as Xtrm2Matt only as 1 ip address currently leased

edit unless the mac is cloned form the pc's nic of course.

but again this will not resolve the actual issue with slow speeds

rdhw
13-05-2004, 18:08
Is there anyway to nab a new IP Address?Forget all the stories about just re-booting everything, or leaving everything off overnight: chances are you still might get the same IP address back again. The guaranteed way to get a different IP address is to change the MAC address of the device connected to the cable modem, and re-boot the modem. Most routers enable you to configure the MAC address of the WAN port, so that's what to do in your case.

But this will not fix any problems or speed up your connection.

Xtrm2Matt
13-05-2004, 18:20
It's not downloading or anything, i can download at my full speed (120KB/s) from most websites. It's just surfing the web.

paulyoung666: Thanks, i'll give it a go.

All else fails, i'll change the MAC address.

Thanks guys :)

threadbare
13-05-2004, 18:22
It's not downloading or anything, i can download at my full speed (120KB/s) from most websites. It's just surfing the web.

paulyoung666: Thanks, i'll give it a go.

All else fails, i'll change the MAC address.

Thanks guys :)that indicates either proxy issue or a WCCP issue

Thorny
13-05-2004, 20:27
heh, well ive had the same IP for probably over a year now. In that time NTL have layed new wires to my house, Ive been on holiday for a week(turned off modem) and today I got a brand spanking new modem from an NTL engineer, with a new mac ID and everything. I switch it on, start my PC, and i have the same IP address.
Not very dynamic :D im not complaining though, saves me having to remember new Ips all the time when i connect to my pc using vnc from places.

DeadKenny
14-05-2004, 11:30
But this will not fix any problems or speed up your connection.

Though if you've been using P2P apps, changing the IP will result in a halt to all of the 1000s of attempted connections being made (even when not running P2P apps), as they no longer route to your modem ;). That might help in so much as there aren't a flood of connection attempts stuffing up the modem, router or perhaps the UBR.

Though you might pick up someone elses mess if they've been using P2P apps ;)

Also, I've noticed a difference between the 82.x.x.x addresses and the 213.x.x.x addresses, perhaps related to different DNS/gateway servers (slow DNS server can result in slow connects). Sometimes I get switched between them when I reboot.

I guess potentially you might get swapped onto a different upstream also which could affect performance (for better or worse), but I don't know if that can be related to a MAC address change or just the fact you've rebooted the modem.

Not very dynamic :D im not complaining though, saves me having to remember new Ips all the time when i connect to my pc using vnc from places.

I use a domain and zoneedit.com anyway so it's always up to date (so long as my router hasn't crashed). My address was static for ages but more recently it's been changing a bit (even outside of the trials earlier this year).

Not sure why it jumps IP range though sometimes.

BlueMeany
16-05-2004, 16:21
I find a quick way is to not pay the bill... let them cut you off, then when you pay and reconnect, hey presto... new IP (works everytime!!)

paulyoung666
16-05-2004, 16:24
right o :rolleyes:

i take it that was ajoke , yeah :erm:

BlueMeany
16-05-2004, 16:48
right o :rolleyes:

i take it that was ajoke , yeah :erm:

It was ;)

But it does work :erm: Costly way of doing it though! :disturbd: