PDA

View Full Version : What is winxp OEM?

downquark1
20-07-2003, 20:11
Why is this version so cheap?

What are the differences?

Is it the full version?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=50264

matty4donna
20-07-2003, 20:13
it stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, basically it is direct fromthe manufacturer and you usually get no packaging, boxes and fancy programs etc...

Not really any difference with Win XP OEM and Retail. Usually you have to buy hardware at the same time though.

downquark1
20-07-2003, 20:27
So there is a £100 difference for little reason?

matty4donna
20-07-2003, 20:30
OEM is mainly for system builder etc... You dont get all the manuals and stuff, you have to know what you are doing to use it.

downquark1
20-07-2003, 20:33
Originally posted by matty4donna
OEM is mainly for system builder etc... You dont get all the manuals and stuff, you have to know what you are doing to use it.

So is this for me? :confused:
What about the whole activation thing - do I get a valid serial number???

matty4donna
20-07-2003, 20:44
If your not a system builder it may not be for you. Plus you will prob have to purchase some hardware at the time of buying it.

Yes you will get a valid serial and you will be able to activate it.

paulyoung666
20-07-2003, 21:01
Originally posted by matty4donna
If your not a system builder it may not be for you. Plus you will prob have to purchase some hardware at the time of buying it.

Yes you will get a valid serial and you will be able to activate it.

:confused: why not , ok so you might not get the fancy box , but all you need to do is install it the same way dont you , the legalities of it are for me somewhat unclear , what constitutes a new pc , the whole system or a part of it , @ downquark1 i wouldnt worry about it mate , go and buy it and save yourself some money , at the end of the day i reckon microsoft would rather you had an oem copy rather than a warez copy ;)

Dupre
20-07-2003, 21:02
and generally with OEM you dont get the same support from the manufacturer, you have to go through the provider you bought the hardware from, i.e. when its shipped with a machine, rather than buying a hard drive and expecting ebuyer to help you when it goes plop. As i dont know anyone whos ever contacted MS support (dont know why ;-) save yourself the cash and buy it, just on its own, dont buy harware too... thats a misconcption usually that you MUST buy hardware, say you built a machine with parts from other companies if asked... works a charm for me when quizzed... or "its none of your business"

paulyoung666
20-07-2003, 21:05
Originally posted by Dupre
and generally with OEM you dont get the same support from the manufacturer, you have to go through the provider you bought the hardware from, i.e. when its shipped with a machine, rather than buying a hard drive and expecting ebuyer to help you when it goes plop. As i dont know anyone whos ever contacted MS support (dont know why ;-) save yourself the cash and buy it, just on its own, dont buy harware too... thats a misconcption usually that you MUST buy hardware, say you built a machine with parts from other companies if asked... works a charm for me when quizzed... or "its none of your business"

approved :D