PDA

View Full Version : Symantec attack?

rovert
12-05-2004, 20:58
Have been experiencing problems with my pc since switching on yesterday when a message popped up to say "Some Symantec product settings have been changed by an unauthorized program". I have Norton Internet Security 2003 installed and the message went on to recommend I uninstalled and then reinstalled it. I did this with a great deal of difficulty due to constant crashing. However only antivirus is now present with the firewall being disabled and no option to turn it back on. I have run a virus scan using the downloaded norton checker but nothing was found.

I am using Windows ME with IE6 although some sites needing secure connection advise that I am on IE5 and should update to the latest encrypted version. About IE confirms version is 6.0.

Whilst my pc is definitely more stable several things, including the above, are not operating correctly. Windows update refuses to scan for updates indicating that a problem has occurred. The symantec website refuses to load up its online support assistant so I cannot report my problems to them. I have been told that flash player is needed although I already have the latest version of flash.

Has anyone else experienced such problems or can anyone suggest a likely cause?

Ramrod
12-05-2004, 20:59
Do one of the online scans?

Chris W
12-05-2004, 21:04
I am using Windows ME with IE6 although some sites needing secure connection advise that I am on IE5 and should update to the latest encrypted version. About IE confirms version is 6.0.

this suggests that the cypher strength is not 128bit, check this in about IE, if it is less than 128 use the update information link and it will take you to the m$ page there to download the patch for it.

i will pass on the AV issues ATM (my brain hurts :confused:) but just second what Ramrod has said- run an online scan, try http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

MB

rovert
12-05-2004, 21:11
Thanks - now trying Panda ActiveScan to hopefully get to the bottom of it. Bit worried though at lack of firewall.

rovert
14-05-2004, 16:10
Panda virus scan indicated no infections found. About IE confirms IE6 with 128 bit encryption but still unable to connect to secure sites. Have downloaded and installed Mozilla Firefox browser but now get error message " The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.mozilla.org (http://www.mozilla.org)" Mozilla forum suggests this problem is firewall related but Norton still apparently disabled. Any ideas?
Cheers

Chris W
14-05-2004, 16:35
to fix the secure sites problem, try the fixes mentioned here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444

the article is about winXP, so everything upto the last four steps is applicaple, but those will not.

Does it affect all secure sites or just some? if it is just some sites then it may be your proxy server, try specifying a differnet on in tools -> internet options -> connections -> lan settings. Try 62.255.0.5 on port 8080 because i know this one is working fine ATM.

IIRC the symantec site uses and ActiveX plugin; these maybe disabled in the internet options... check in internet options -> security -> custom level.

If there are problems with firewall/AV it seems like this is blocking new programs from accessing the internet, hence why mozilla cannot connect. Try uninstalling NIS again and then after a reboot run a program like reg cleaner. If everything is then working ok, try reinstalling NIS again.

hth
MB :monkey:

iadom
14-05-2004, 16:42
There have also been very recent warnings in the past 2 days about serious flaws in Norton AV. Have you got the latest patches from Symantec as well as the latest deffiles.
Paul has already posted a thread about this, more news here.
http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3353841

rovert
14-05-2004, 19:07
Thanks monkeybreath and iadom for your advice. When I checked LAN settings I found no address for secure server. After entering address and port suggested by MB I was able to access secure sites which were causing problems including goldfish which had been recommending upgrade to IE6! I have also used windows update finding 2 critical updates which I had not been aware of in spite of using automatic update option.
As far as Symantec is concerned I have now been able to run a check with their Automated Support Assistant which says I have an old version of Live Update. Although the necessary file seemed to download without problem the live update installer would not run to complete the installation. Looks like a full reinstall might be needed although zonealarm looks temting at present!
Still no joy with Mozilla Firefox (connection refused) but at least Internet Explorer working better.
Thanks again.

TheBlueRaja
14-05-2004, 21:05
Zonealarm, from personal experience is not recommended. I would stick with Norton.

ZoneAlarm seems to interfere too much with your normal net connection and caused me problems which i didnt expect to be related to the firewall.

just a bit of friendly advice, by all means give it a try and see what you think, just keep Norton close to hand.

iadom
14-05-2004, 21:15
Zonealarm, from personal experience is not recommended. I would stick with Norton.

ZoneAlarm seems to interfere too much with your normal net connection and caused me problems which i didnt expect to be related to the firewall.

just a bit of friendly advice, by all means give it a try and see what you think, just keep Norton close to hand.Horses for courses. I have had no problems whatsoever with ZA Pro, used it for over 4 years now. It does take a bit of tweaking to get it just right, but most of the time I don't even notice its there .

rovert
19-05-2004, 10:11
Pleased to report that after full uninstall of Norton Internet Security 2003 and reinstall, normal service has been resumed!
Thanks to all who offered advice on this problem.
:)

Maggy
19-05-2004, 10:45
Horses for courses. I have had no problems whatsoever with ZA Pro, used it for over 4 years now. It does take a bit of tweaking to get it just right, but most of the time I don't even notice its there .

Hear,hear.The only problem I have with ZA Pro is Teenager related!!!

Incog.