PDA

View Full Version : No internet connectivity in NE Hants?

Lew
12-05-2004, 16:05
Just had a phone call from my Mum saying that she has no internet connectivity at home (don't you just love trying to diagnose problems over the phone?). She is unable to connect to our email server (mac.com) or browse any web pages.

I have tried a few tests, getting her to ping news.bbc.co.uk, www.apple.com and www.ntlworld.com by name and IP address but had no success. I checked the NTL server status page but there doesn't seem to be anything listed there for our area (Fleet, NE Hants). Are any of the techies here aware of any problems? I'd preferably like to get this sorted before I leave work so that the connection is back up for when I get home (yes, I practically live online :D).

Ta

Lew

Chris W
12-05-2004, 16:24
Just had a phone call from my Mum saying that she has no internet connectivity at home (don't you just love trying to diagnose problems over the phone?). She is unable to connect to our email server (mac.com) or browse any web pages.

I have tried a few tests, getting her to ping news.bbc.co.uk, www.apple.com and www.ntlworld.com by name and IP address but had no success. I checked the NTL server status page but there doesn't seem to be anything listed there for our area (Fleet, NE Hants). Are any of the techies here aware of any problems? I'd preferably like to get this sorted before I leave work so that the connection is back up for when I get home (yes, I practically live online :D).

Ta

Lew

if you can pm me the postcode and house number (or cable modem mac address) i will check the modem is online for you... I'm not in work until 6pm though so i will only be able to do it from then onwards

MB :monkey:

Paul
12-05-2004, 16:46
Excuse my geographic ignorance - but is this the same area as Bournemouth / Southampton problems mentioned here > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=12254 ?

Lew
12-05-2004, 16:50
Excuse my geographic ignorance - but is this the same area as Bournemouth / Southampton problems mentioned here > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=12254 ?

Nope. Bournemouth/Southampton are on the south coast. I'm in NE Hants (not too far from NTL's head office in Hook, in fact I'm currently sitting over the road from there)

Lew
12-05-2004, 17:04
if you can pm me the postcode and house number (or cable modem mac address) i will check the modem is online for you... I'm not in work until 6pm though so i will only be able to do it from then onwards

MB :monkey:

PM sent. Although thinking about it, I'll be home by then so if the connection's still down I won't be able to read any reply from you ;)

Paul
12-05-2004, 17:10
Nope. Bournemouth/Southampton are on the south coast. I'm in NE Hants (not too far from NTL's head office in Hook, in fact I'm currently sitting over the road from there)
You can see why I failed geography then :dunce:

Lew
12-05-2004, 17:19
You can see why I failed geography then :dunce:

That makes 2 of us. I got an "E" for geography :dunce:

Lew
12-05-2004, 17:49
Just got home and rebooted the CM. Everything's working OK now. Thanks, folks :)