PDA

View Full Version : ntl Cable splitter

aXelay
12-05-2004, 11:40
Hi all,

I am definitely fed up with ntl constant disconnection. My current configuration uses a firewall (linux box) connected to a switch and to my set top box... Well when the connection goes down, I have to reboot the set top box AND the bloody firewall which takes ages :mad:

Anyway, I heard that those disconnection can be prevented if I use a modem instead of the set top box. However I don't want to loose the TV, so I thought about a Cable splitter (can be found on ebay for £3.00 inc. P&P).

Does anybody have experience with that ? Does it work as it should ? What about the ntl billing (they gonna charge me twice :Yikes: ?) Apparently I can register 3 MAC address with ntl and last time I called them, they confirmed I use only one...

Please help me ;)

Nikko
12-05-2004, 12:11
I think you need to call CS/TS to establish where the fault lies, they can then arrange a SACM if they deem it neccessary - this will have a properly installed and level-adjusted signal - I can't see a DIY job succeeding here, regardless of the rules - go the Official way!

Edit: Ooops sorry - :welcome: to CF btw!

andrew_wallasey
12-05-2004, 12:21
IF you put a splitter on it could screw up your signal levels because the normal splitters used lower your signal by around 3dB

ian@huth
12-05-2004, 12:34
No point in buying a cable splitter when you haven't got a modem to connect through it. Give NTL a call as already suggested.

aXelay
12-05-2004, 12:54
Well I have a modem as well as a set top box... Just never used the modem but might give it a shot unplugging the box to see if it helps...

So you guys reckon it won't work... OK so does anybody know the costs involved for ntl to put me a second cable point ?

/me disappointed :erm:
Thx for the welcome though;)

ian@huth
12-05-2004, 13:11
Well I have a modem as well as a set top box... Just never used the modem but might give it a shot unplugging the box to see if it helps...

So you guys reckon it won't work... OK so does anybody know the costs involved for ntl to put me a second cable point ?

What modem is it?

zovat
12-05-2004, 14:11

Unfortunately, even if you do manage to split the cable, maintain the right Signal strength and plug in you CM it will not work.. :(

The NTL systems are linked to the MAC address of the device, and as such you would need to register the CM with NTL to get it enabled.

I would recommend contacting NTL and getting them to supply and fit a CM for you. (when they did mine, they put the drop into the room I requested as part of the install.

Not sure whether/how much they charge to move you over to CM, but I can't imagine it being too much, and it will be well worth it in the end..

DeadKenny
12-05-2004, 21:31
IF you put a splitter on it could screw up your signal levels because the normal splitters used lower your signal by around 3dB

I took mine off as it was causing trouble. I've also unhooked the FM feed and put a terminator cap on that just in case that affects it too (P.S. Unterminated connectors can also responsible for dodgy signals).

Thankfully as I got fed up of waiting for digital TV a long while back I went with Sky instead so I only need one cable for the modem (still the signal was screwed though... turned out in the end the damn cable was actually split off my neighbours!! I'd even had a new cable pulled when I got my 2nd phone line installed... as that was also split of my neighbour!, but they didn't bother to connect the new coax they pulled! Hopeless. Took a year to sort out all my signal hassles even after they'd connected things properly).

aXelay
13-05-2004, 09:17
Thank you all for your answers...
So in the end I'll be better off with a CM as well as the set top box...

So you can assure me I won't need to reboot this flipping firewall anymore then ? :)