PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Web Proxy Cache's in Brighton / Hove Area

TheBlueRaja
10-05-2004, 17:48
Hey all,
I have been having really intermittant web browsing issues whilst surfing recently, generally whenever i try to load a page for the first time it would just 404 on me.

Refreshing "usually" worked, but not always.

I had no Proxy server set in my IE Internet options and when i looked at http://www.broadband-help.com/cm_diagnose.asp?init=1 it said the following..

Proxied HTTP? No
Proxy IP n/a
Proxy Name(Raw)
Proxy Name(R-DNS) No DNS Entry

I then changed it to cache4-brtn.server.ntli.net (8080) and all my issues have went away. Now this has been happeneing on and off for a couple of weeks at least, resets of the box had NO effect, and in the last couple of days it has got worse (which is why i have been digging into it).

I now get..

Proxied HTTP? Yes
Proxy IP 80.3.64.7 [WHOIS]
Proxy Name(Raw) HTTP/1.0 ntl_site[50034007] (Traffic-Server/5.2.4-59139 [uSc ])
Proxy Name(R-DNS) cache4-brtn.server.ntli.net

But what was causing my original problems?

Any ideas?

mcmanic
10-05-2004, 19:45
been getting the same probs here(Fishersgate),thought it was my pc,but as you say 1st click onto some websites would give a 404 error and a refesh would SOMETIMES be ok,been like it past few days

TheBlueRaja
10-05-2004, 19:53
Can you try changing your Proxy setting to see if that fixes it, and report what http://www.broadband-help.com/cm_diagnose.asp?init=1 tells you like i have done. It will be interesting to see if the settings are the same.

Where is Fishersgate BTW?

Chris W
10-05-2004, 19:53
Hey all,
I have been having really intermittant web browsing issues whilst surfing recently, generally whenever i try to load a page for the first time it would just 404 on me.

Refreshing "usually" worked, but not always.

I had no Proxy server set in my IE Internet options and when i looked at http://www.broadband-help.com/cm_diagnose.asp?init=1 it said the following..

Proxied HTTP? No
Proxy IP n/a
Proxy Name(Raw)
Proxy Name(R-DNS) No DNS Entry

I then changed it to cache4-brtn.server.ntli.net (8080) and all my issues have went away. Now this has been happeneing on and off for a couple of weeks at least, resets of the box had NO effect, and in the last couple of days it has got worse (which is why i have been digging into it).

I now get..

Proxied HTTP? Yes
Proxy IP 80.3.64.7 [WHOIS]

But what was causing my original problems?

Any ideas?

probably the proxy that you were going through before you specified one. Some of them are transparent so won't always show up when you test for them. Sometimes they show from the test on www.all-nettools.com.

if you find out which proxy you were routed to by default, please post here.

MB

TheBlueRaja
10-05-2004, 20:01
Tried it 4 or 5 times, says Proxy Server Not Detected every time.

Any other ideas how i can find out?

Paul
10-05-2004, 20:34
What does this show > http://romulas.zmnt.co.uk/forum/vars.asp

TheBlueRaja
10-05-2004, 22:02
WITHOUT Proxy Set (Problem Settings)

HTTP Variables

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Variables Value
. .
REMOTE_ADDR 81.99.x.x
CLIENT_IP
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR
. .
REQUEST_METHOD GET
SERVER_NAME romulas.zmnt.co.uk
SERVER_PORT 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL HTTP/1.1
HTTP_USER_AGENT Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
HTTP_REFERER
HTTP_CONNECTION Keep-Alive
. .

If CLIENT_IP and HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR are blank then you are either directly connected, in which case REMOTE_ADDR is your IP address,
or you are connected via an anonymous proxy server - in which case REMOTE_ADDR is the proxy server IP address.

If CLIENT_IP or HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR contain an IP address then this is your IP address and REMOTE_ADDR is your proxy servers address.

WITH PROXY SET (Problem Free)

HTTP Variables

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Variables Value
. .
REMOTE_ADDR 80.3.64.7
CLIENT_IP 81.99.x.x
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR 81.99.x.x
. .
REQUEST_METHOD GET
SERVER_NAME romulas.zmnt.co.uk
SERVER_PORT 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL HTTP/1.0
HTTP_USER_AGENT Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
HTTP_REFERER
HTTP_CONNECTION keep-alive
. .

If CLIENT_IP and HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR are blank then you are either directly connected, in which case REMOTE_ADDR is your IP address,
or you are connected via an anonymous proxy server - in which case REMOTE_ADDR is the proxy server IP address.

If CLIENT_IP or HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR contain an IP address then this is your IP address and REMOTE_ADDR is your proxy servers address.

mcmanic
10-05-2004, 22:02
VariablesValue.
REMOTE_ADDR - 82.x.xxx.21
CLIENT_IP - BLANK
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR - BLANK
REQUEST_METHOD - GET
SERVER_NAME - romulas.zmnt.co.uk
SERVER_PORT - 80
SERVER_PROTOCOLHTTP/ -1.1
HTTP_USER_AGENT - Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
HTTP_REFERER HTTP_CONNECTION - Keep-Alive

That taken from above link,means nothing to me,lol,but the problem still persists and been like it all day and most of yesterday.

Deafault windowsXP settings,nothing changed proxy wise

and Fishersgate is between Southwick and Portslade,infact next door to NTL,lol

Chris W
10-05-2004, 22:06
Tried it 4 or 5 times, says Proxy Server Not Detected every time.

Any other ideas how i can find out?

hmm ok... in that case then can you give me an example or two of sites that were not working, and then i can work out which proxies in the area are causing the problem.

cheers
MB

TheBlueRaja
10-05-2004, 22:09
No Probs,
This site and news.bbc.co.uk were but a couple.

mcmanic
10-05-2004, 22:09
http://www.broadband-help.com/cm_diagnose.asp?init=1

just tried that link as in 1st post,i got nothing,unless i refreshed

which then i got this:
Proxied HTTP?NoProxy IPn/a Proxy Name(Raw)Proxy Name(R-DNS)No DNS Entry

TheBlueRaja
10-05-2004, 22:10
and Fishersgate is between Southwick and Portslade,infact next door to NTL,lol

LOL :D

TheBlueRaja
10-05-2004, 22:14

which then i got this:
Proxied HTTP?NoProxy IPn/a Proxy Name(Raw)Proxy Name(R-DNS)No DNS Entry

OK, in IE, (Top Menu) goto Tools/Internet Options, select the Connections tab, click the "Lan Settings" button near the bottom.

In the window that pops up (bottom half) - click Use a proxy server, and in the address box type or paste "cache4-brtn.server.ntli.net" (no quotes) and in the port box type 8080.

Click Ok, then OK again.

Now can you tell me if you can browse OK now?

Paul
10-05-2004, 22:21
VariablesValue.
REMOTE_ADDR - 82.x.xxx.21
CLIENT_IP - BLANK
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR - BLANK
REQUEST_METHOD - GET
SERVER_PORT - 80
SERVER_PROTOCOLHTTP/ -1.1
HTTP_USER_AGENT - Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
HTTP_REFERER HTTP_CONNECTION - Keep-Alive

That taken from above link,means nothing to me,lol,but the problem still persists and been like it all day and most of yesterday.

It appears to confirm you were not being routed via an NTL proxy server when you accessed that page - and I can see from your IP that you apparently wern't when you posted your reply either.

Therefore your problem does not seem to be related to proxy servers.

Chris W
10-05-2004, 22:23
No Probs,
This site and news.bbc.co.uk were but a couple.

ok will look into it when i have a moment tonight ;)

Paul
10-05-2004, 22:23

That site seems to be total pants - it tells me I am not proxied when I know very well I am :rolleyes: Clearly it cannot cope with transparent cache servers.

mcmanic
10-05-2004, 22:25
OK, in IE, (Top Menu) goto Tools/Internet Options, select the Connections tab, click the "Lan Settings" button near the bottom.

In the window that pops up (bottom half) - click Use a proxy server, and in the address box type or paste "cache4-brtn.server.ntli.net" (no quotes) and in the port box type 8080.

Click Ok, then OK again.

just done that as you said,all appears ok now,thanx,so far,tried the bbc website and loaded,tried a few others that been giving me probs,they loaded,so hopefully fingers crossed,!st time in 2 years that i had to enter anything in connections tab though,weird why all of a sudden

mcmanic
10-05-2004, 22:35
ok with proxy settings as discribed and now setup i now get this,and everything seems ok

REMOTE_ADDR - 80.x.xx.7
CLIENT_IP - 82.x.xxx.21
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR - 82.x.xxx.21
REQUEST_METHOD - GET
SERVER_PORT - 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL HTTP/1.0
HTTP_REFERER
HTTP_CONNECTION keep-alive

and from the other site
Proxied HTTP? Yes
Proxy IP 80.x.xx.7 [WHOIS]

so i presume everything is ok now?

cookie_365
10-05-2004, 22:42

Click Ok, then OK again.

Blueraja - I was having the same problem; somehow managed to get nthellworld to load up, what do I see in the recent posts list? 'Web Proxy Cache's in Brighton / Hove Area'! Setting the proxy address and port number you suggested seems to have done the do! Many thanks for that. Don't know how to give recs on this board, but you've certainly earned one!

Thanks

Chris W
10-05-2004, 22:44
Don't know how to give recs on this board, but you've certainly earned one!

the little scales on the bottom left hand side of the person's post ;)

TheBlueRaja
10-05-2004, 22:52
OK, i think i may have your answer, and Pem, prepare to eat thy words.... :D (If not Doh! :D)

If i try to use any of the following...

cache2-brtn.server.ntli.net
cache3-brtn.server.ntli.net
cache4-brtn.server.ntli.net

Its works fine, but cache4 seems to be a bit slower, cache2 seems to be the best at the moment.

HOWEVER.....

cache1-brtn.server.ntli.net

REALLY bad... 404's more often than not and only occasionally connects. So i think thats the problem.

Peeps - if you want to run even faster change from what i said earlier from cache4 to cache2. :tu:

cookie_365
10-05-2004, 23:12
the little scales on the bottom left hand side of the person's post ;)
Thanks monkeybreath - a rec for theblueraja, and one for you too for letting me know where they were :)

TheBlueRaja
10-05-2004, 23:15
Spread the love....

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=12190

;)

cookie_365
10-05-2004, 23:25
Spread the love....

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=12190

;)
the luv is spread

Paul
10-05-2004, 23:40
OK, i think i may have your answer, and Pem, prepare to eat thy words.... :D (If not Doh! :D)

:confused:

All you have done is prove that cache1-brtn.server.ntli.net is a bit duff. You don't root via that proxy unless you specifically configure IE to use it. Your original post said "I had no Proxy server set in my IE Internet options" when you were having problems. I simply showed you that if you don't specify one in IE then ntl is not forcing you via one, so your problem is not an ntl proxy server. Do you see ? :)

TheBlueRaja
10-05-2004, 23:44
Nope.

:dunce:

<Holmes>
But is it not also apparent Watson, that as said proxy server was not configured, then NTL was transparently forcing me through the "duff" or "incorrectly working" proxy server cache1-brtn.server.ntli.net, hence giving me my issues?

Otherwise my dear watson why am i experiencing the same problems WITHOUT the proxy configured as i am if i have cache1-brtn.server.ntli.net configured?

A stunning coincidence don't you think?
</Holmes>

(prepares lots of egg for my face...)

Paul
11-05-2004, 00:25
Nope.
:disturbd:

But is it not also apparent Watson, that as said proxy server was not configured, then NTL was transparently forcing me through the "duff" or "incorrectly working" proxy server cache1-brtn.server.ntli.net, hence giving me my issues?

No, the test [I asked you to do] showed that NTL are not forcing you via a transparent proxy.

Otherwise my dear watson why am i experiencing the same problems WITHOUT the proxy configured as i am if i have cache1-brtn.server.ntli.net configured?
A stunning coincidence don't you think?

A stunning coincidence is still just that, a coincidence :) Anyway - Monkeybreath is an ntl employee and he is looking into it for you so there is little point in speculating until he reports back. :D

threadbare
11-05-2004, 00:35
are we actually taliking about error 404 or page cannot be displayed? they are completely different errors

quadplay
11-05-2004, 00:36
The Fault Management peeps are currently investigating a possible issue with browsing in the Brighton/Hove areas, but I'm afraid that's all the info I've got right now - rest assured, however, that it hasn't gone unnoticed!

TheBlueRaja
11-05-2004, 21:54
Seems to have been fixed now, im back using nothing in the proxy settings and its been fine all night.

Looks like they fixed it...

Nice!

pastaman
11-05-2004, 22:08
Hi, I've been having trouble with this too, in Hove. It seems ok though this evening.

I looked at my proxy settings after reading this thread, and found that it's blank. To try to make things work, I entered the proxy info into the lower half of IE tools-options-connections-LAN-proxy and couldn't browse. I could ping the server though. The web pages that test http info said I had a direct connection. Is this bad? Would I get faster browsing if I could get a proxy to work in the box?

Just wondering. Any advice appreciated.

Tezcatlipoca
11-05-2004, 22:25
:welcome: Hi pastaman, & welcome :)

You couldn't browse *at all*?

What proxy server details did you enter?

You will get faster browsing with a proxy specified if that proxy is currently working better than the one you would "transparently" use when you have no proxy specified.

Stu has a sticky thread with info about changing proxies here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8783

There's a list of NTL proxies to try here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#ntl

And more info on proxy changing here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html & specifically here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#iew

Also........The NTL service staus page has a mention of the problem in the Brighton & Hove area, & says it's already been resolved:

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

South East - Connectivity

ntl broadband internet customers in the Brighton, Hove and surrounding area may currently be experiencing connectivity problems at present. This will maifest itself as webpages loading slowly or not at all. Our engineers are aware and are working towards a resolution. Please accept our apologies for any inconvience caused

TheBlueRaja
11-05-2004, 22:33
Actually, i found i couldnt browse this evening with the proxys configured, unlike last night.

Tonight however if i go back to no proxy, which is the setting when i had my original problem it appears to have been fixed, hence my earlier post.

Paul
11-05-2004, 23:25
Hi, I've been having trouble with this too, in Hove. It seems ok though this evening.
..<snip>..
Would I get faster browsing if I could get a proxy to work in the box?

Just wondering. Any advice appreciated.

You don't need to specify a proxy under normal circumstances - only if you are having problems. There were, apparently, problems in the Brighton area yesterday and I would think they have been fixed by now which is why you are both ok without a manually specified server today.

Tightscot
12-05-2004, 10:06
Hi all

just to see if anyone else has this problem....

I usually specify a proxy of 80.3.64.5 port 8080 -> its a brighton proxy.

However since last night this causes me to have a page not displayed error and absolutely no net access. I can ping the proxy with no problems. This happens for all the brighton caches. If i specify no proxy or change to a proxy in another area (currently 62.252.0.6) i can get full web access.

Any ideas, i see the fault in brighton area is showing as resolved on the NTL server status page. :dozey:

Tezcatlipoca
12-05-2004, 21:08
So...

People in Brighton & Hove had problems unless they manually specified a proxy.

NTL "resolved" the issue. People in Brighton & Hove can now browse OK without specifying a proxy...

But...since the Brighton proxy problem was resolved, people in Brighton & Hove (e.g. pastaman & theblueraja), plus others (e.g. Tightscot) *can't* browse if they manually specify a Brighton proxy server.

I've just tried specifying a Brighton proxy too: result = "page not displayed" for any sites I try.

Possibly a stupid question...could NTL have "turned off" the Brighton proxies in some way, rather than actually fix them? Could that be why people currently can't browse if they specify a Brighton proxy?

Tightscot
12-05-2004, 22:20
i wonder if NTL are aware of this... the server status page doesn't show it as a fault.... any news?

Paul
12-05-2004, 22:38
Possibly a stupid question...could NTL have "turned off" the Brighton proxies in some way, rather than actually fix them? Could that be why people currently can't browse if they specify a Brighton proxy?

Not a stupid question at all - it seems to be exactly right :) - all four brighton caches appear to be non fuctional at the moment - it looks like they have been disabled [so people are connecting direct to websites instead].

Anyone manually specifying a brighton cache at the moment will not be able to browse the web.

TheBlueRaja
12-05-2004, 22:58
I did mention this, but as it was working OK, i wasnt that bothered.

You think someone should tell them?

Paul
12-05-2004, 23:17
You think someone should tell them?
No, they must have been turned off by ntl - it's probably a temporary fix for the problems yesterday.

pastaman
13-05-2004, 00:38
Thanks for the help! things are now working ok with a direct connection for me on 600k (or is it now 750?) in Hove. I'll have a play around with the proxy settings in a day or two when hopefully they're up and at it again.

TheBlueRaja
13-05-2004, 11:05
Dont - You shouldnt touch the proxy settings unless you have a problem.

Only then start looking around.