PDA

View Full Version : [merged] Cache Server IP's banned

ButttersB
09-05-2004, 23:21
Like the title says, the proxy cache1-mant.server.ntli.net seems to be banned by slashdot (resulting in a pink page titled "Either your network or ip address has been banned from Slashdot"). One of the customers using mant1 must have been a naughty boy (or girl).

Manually tried a few of the other mant proxies, and cache1 seems to be the only banned one. No problem for me cos i know how to change the proxy, but it could cause problems for the less well informed. Although thinking about it, i doubt theres many people who would visit slashdot.org and not know how to change a proxy :pp.

ButtersB

Paul
09-05-2004, 23:53
Like the title says, the proxy cache1-mant.server.ntli.net seems to be banned by slashdot (resulting in a pink page titled "Either your network or ip address has been banned from Slashdot"). One of the customers using mant1 must have been a naughty boy (or girl).
ButtersB
I guess someone (probably ntl) would need to contact slashdot to get the ban lifted.

Btw - not sure if your sig is serious - but if it is - pm a mod/admin - they can arrange for the extra "t" to be removed from your account.

Foo Fighter
10-05-2004, 00:12
lol me too

Either your network or ip address has been banned from Slashdot

...due to script flooding that originated from your network or ip address -- or this IP might have been used to post comments designed to break web browser rendering. Or you crawled us with a rude robot, especially one that doesn't understand RFCs very well.

If you feel that this is unwarranted, feel free to include your IP address (62.252.192.4) in the subject of an email, and we will examine why there is a ban. If you fail to include the IP address (again, in the subject!), then your message will be deleted and ignored. I mean come on, we're good, we're not psychic.

If you think your IP number is different from 62.252.192.4, tell us both.

If you are using a browser with some kind of add-on that crawls or caches pages for you, tell us what it is.

Since you can't read the FAQ because you're banned, here's the relevant portion:
Why is my IP banned?

· Perhaps you are running some sort of program that loaded thousands of Slashdot Pages. We have limited resources here and are fairly protective of them. We need to make sure that everyone shares. If your IP loads thousands of pages in a day, you will likely be banned. Please note that many proxy servers load large quantities of pages, but we can usually distinguish between proxy servers being used by humans, and IPs running software that is hammering our servers.

· Your IP might have been used to perform some sort of denial of service attack against Slashdot. These range from simple programs that just load a lot of pages, to programs that attempt to coordinate an avalanche of posts in the forums (often through misconfigured "Open Relay" proxy servers).

· You might be using a proxy server that is also being used by another person who did something from the above list. You should have your proxy server administrator contact us.

· Your IP might have been used to post comments designed to break web browser rendering.

Answered by: CmdrTaco
Last Modified: 7/02/02
How do I get an IP Unbanned?

Email banned@slashdot.org. Make sure to include the IP in question, and any other pertinent information. If you are connecting through a proxy server, you might need to have your proxy server's admin contact us instead of you.

Answered by: CmdrTaco
Last Modified: 3/26/02

Foo Fighter
10-05-2004, 00:32
Hmm its back up now and the proxy im now on is

62.252.192.13 instead of 62.252.192.4, someone pull the plug on that proxy?

you guys must be working late?

edit: god knows whats going on with the proxies, looks like one is banned because if you refresh it a couple of times you be put on a unbanned proxy then you click something and your banned again :td:

Dooby
14-05-2004, 17:30
*snip* Although thinking about it, i doubt theres many people who would visit slashdot.org and not know how to change a proxy :pp.
lol

Chris W
14-05-2004, 17:47
has anyone reported this to ntl :confused:

Chrysalis
14-05-2004, 21:59
lol this is hillarious, ntl just get rid of the proxies they doing noone any favours. Traffic is probably costing ntl something like 30p a gig and bearing in mind our pc's cache parts of webpages anyway the costs of letting us connect direct is almost nothing.

Paul
14-05-2004, 22:11
So do you think they spend all this money on caches just for the fun of it then ?

Chris W
14-05-2004, 22:58
Traffic is probably costing ntl something like 30p a gig

is this a fact or speculation? where did you get this information from?

Chrysalis
15-05-2004, 00:53
well I dont know who ntl are peered with if they peer at all and who their backbone providers are out to the internet but I know a few london isp's located in redbus are paying roughly this price for external traffic. In fact as ntl is a large isp I would expect them to have more bargaining power so they may be paying even less.

Pem I think they spending money on proxies because of disorganisation from the top, funny how telewest can provide so much more without proxies and still operate.

Or I could be wrong and ntl are paying over the odds for their traffic.

Chrysalis
16-05-2004, 21:18
http://nukecops.com/article-1997-nested-0-0.html

was greeted by "Banned by UNION"

nice

confirmed when after I switched to my personal proxy site worked fine

Pritch
16-05-2004, 21:30
Looks alright here, and I'm running through the normal proxy.

Tricky
16-05-2004, 22:15
Is this just not bad site programming, on my own site I detect the visitors IP address and work out if it's a Proxy server if it is I then go a step further to get the real client side IP address. I could ban all those that come via a proxy!

Paul
16-05-2004, 22:20
Looks alright here, and I'm running through the normal proxy.
It would since you are not in Nottingham. Try it via cache1-nott.server.ntli.net ;)

Paul
16-05-2004, 22:22
Is this just not bad site programming, on my own site I detect the visitors IP address and work out if it's a Proxy server if it is I then go a step further to get the real client side IP address. I could ban all those that come via a proxy!

Possibly - it may just be lazyness or just that the problem never occurs to the site programmer.

Chrysalis
17-05-2004, 07:01
he probably just bans any large volume of connections from 1 ip address, or someone in the nottingham/leics area has been naughty.