PDA

View Full Version : How to make KDE look like OS X?

Tristan
18-07-2003, 23:32
So, as the thread title says, how can I go about making KDE 3.1 on Red Hat 9 look and feel like Mac OS X?

Do I just need to do a search for an OSX/Aqua theme, or is there more to it than that?

Google seems surprisingly light on information on the subject. I would have thought it would be a common thing to want to do, but...

Richard M
19-07-2003, 02:16
...but, why?
:confused: :cry:

Dupre
19-07-2003, 02:59
You do know that Mac OSX is actually a derivative of Unix dont you? and you can install Mac OS and run all your nix programs on it, so why have KDE emulate OSX when you can ACTUALLY install OSX? with better performance results.

fraz
19-07-2003, 10:38
Originally posted by Dupre
You do know that Mac OSX is actually a derivative of Unix dont you? and you can install Mac OS and run all your nix programs on it, so why have KDE emulate OSX when you can ACTUALLY install OSX? with better performance results.
Because you cant install OSX on an intel based machine although there is a group running a Petition to try & persuade Apple to port it over.

http://osxonintel.xoverzero.com/

Bifta
19-07-2003, 13:53
Has Darwin not already been ported to x86?

downquark1
19-07-2003, 14:34
Originally posted by Bifta
Has Darwin not already been ported to x86?
I doubt they can sell the entire interface without apple's permission.

Wouldn't all the application be designed for mac equipment?? Mac applications aren't used to mix and match hardware.

Dupre
19-07-2003, 16:01
FOOLS, darwin has been on the x86 for over a year, and works in exactly the same way as it does on powerPC architecture. Ive installed it a few times, and its identical except for needing ported over "mac" software, any nix stuff ran perfectly.

fraz
19-07-2003, 16:34
FOOLS, darwin has been on the x86 for over a year, and works in exactly the same way as it does on powerPC architecture. Ive installed it a few times, and its identical except for needing ported over "mac" software, any nix stuff ran perfectly.
Care to provide a link Sir ?

Dupre
19-07-2003, 17:06
http://www.opendarwin.org/

Bifta
19-07-2003, 17:15
This might sound a bit ignorant but, darwin is the kernel, what do you do with that and where would you find mac software ported over for it? (I know JS about linux, sorry)

Dupre
19-07-2003, 19:13
go look on these boards for another post about mac OS, loads of stuff in it, and links... it doesnt take effort to see if someones posted it before. thats what the search menu is for.

Chris
19-07-2003, 19:36
Yes yes yes, you can run Darwin on x86 but Tristan's original question was how to get OSX's distinctive Aqua look on his desktop. Darwin doesn't give you that.

'Fraid I don't know the answer, Tristan ...

But, Roger, seeing as you wanted to know why:

http://homepage.mac.com/towny/osx-scsht.jpg

Anti-aliased fonts everywhere, and it just looks soooooo good!!! :D

Richard M
19-07-2003, 19:39
But....but...Linux has them too!
Well Red Hat 8 does anyway.

Bifta
19-07-2003, 20:02
Towny, exactly my point (well, sort of), whats the use in having the kernel if it's OS X you're after? (maybe dupre could post a pointless reply about this forums search function to answer that)

Chris
20-07-2003, 00:22
Ok, so here's something ... I thought it seemed odd at the time. This looks like os x but I don't think it is:

http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?postid=21827#post21827

So, come on, Dupre, I know you're begging to be asked ... how d'you do it? Is it samaurize?

Lew
20-07-2003, 00:53

There's a lot more to OS X than just Darwin. There's the Carbon, Cocoa and AppleScript APIs, the Quartz window manager, QuickTime, CoreAudio, Rendezvous, Inkwellââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚¦

Then there's also the fact that any program you wanted to run would have to be recompiled for x86, fine for command-line programs but I'd like to see you get PhotoShop or RealOne to run ;)

Bifta
20-07-2003, 01:00
Originally posted by towny
Ok, so here's something ... I thought it seemed odd at the time. This looks like os x but I don't think it is:

http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?postid=21827#post21827

So, come on, Dupre, I know you're begging to be asked ... how d'you do it? Is it samaurize?

At a guess it's a warezed copy of Object Desktop I'm sure that's Object Dock running at the bottom and Samurize on the left.

cjmillsnun
20-07-2003, 11:30
At a guess it's a warezed copy of Object Desktop I'm sure that's Object Dock running at the bottom and Samurize on the left.

How do you know it is a WAREZED copy. The guy might have paid for Object Desktop!

Bifta
20-07-2003, 12:21
I don't, don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered what people download, I just said it looks like one as I believe (I could be wrong) that the legit downloads are performed through Stardock Central (and it looks a bit like a warez release filename, and let's face it, the three films downloaded above it aren't strictly legit :p)

Dupre
20-07-2003, 21:15
backup copies ;-) however, that setup i use there is Star Object desktop, using some generic MacOS File menu at the top, a Desktop X MacOS clone, bigger coz the icons i had didnt look right on a smaller one, and the taskbar at the bottom i created myself, same with the samurize script on the left.

However, back to MacOS on x86, if you read the other thread on MacOS, youll see theres a site with ALOT of ported over mac stuff, linux stuff compiles in it the same, and Wine will let you run windows stuff... so you got all bases covered, and as for not having darwin lookin like the real MacOS, thats bull, just get off your ass and look for the gui, its out there and its ported. im not gonna do it for you, especially when you just make "nasty" little comments like children.

Tristan
21-07-2003, 21:53
I think some people have misunderstood.

I don't actually want to run OS X on an x86 PC, I just want to make my KDE desktop look like OS X/Aqua.

I know it's possible to make Windows do it, but alas it doesn't seem possible to do the same for KDE. Never mind...

Bifta
21-07-2003, 22:17
and the taskbar at the bottom i created myself

The taskbar that is absolutely identical to Object Dock?

Dupre
22-07-2003, 00:16
The taskbar that is absolutely identical to Object Dock?

Ahhhh my ideal moron, if only you knew what a TASK bar was before you posted... not a launch bar... and the launch bar is called DesktopX.

As for making KDE look like OSX, you could try:

customize.org
deskmod.com

and yahoo.com

BenH
22-07-2003, 10:36
You mean something like this?

http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/aquafusion/?topic_id=57%2C976

and

http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/aqua_/?topic_id=60%2C952

There are several dozen other varients on freshmeat of Aqua, and I think a few WM's as well.

Have Fun,

Ben

Chris
22-07-2003, 10:36
Ahhhh my ideal moron, <snip>

What exactly is your problem mate? The rest of us are carrying on a friendly discussion. Why are you so determined to believe people are either out to get you or being completely thick?

I suggest you pause for a minute and learn the difference between being thick and not having knowledge on a certain subject. Fine, we could all just lock ourselves in a room and google about to get answers on a lot of stuff, but if we did that we'd all be hopeless geeks with no life and no friends, wouldn't we?

At least by discussing things in a forum like this we get to be part of a (mostly) friendly community. No-one in this thread or any other should feel intimidated about asking questions. Google or not, asking people is still the best way to learn.

Bifta
22-07-2003, 13:07
Originally posted by towny
What exactly is your problem mate? The rest of us are carrying on a friendly discussion. Why are you so determined to believe people are either out to get you or being completely thick?

I suggest you pause for a minute and learn the difference between being thick and not having knowledge on a certain subject. Fine, we could all just lock ourselves in a room and google about to get answers on a lot of stuff, but if we did that we'd all be hopeless geeks with no life and no friends, wouldn't we?

At least by discussing things in a forum like this we get to be part of a (mostly) friendly community. No-one in this thread or any other should feel intimidated about asking questions. Google or not, asking people is still the best way to learn.

*heh* I only called it a "taskbar" because it replace my taskbar with the object dock quicklaunch bar (object dock having it's own taskbar attached also). I'd just let him carry on if it makes him happy, to me it's water off a ducks back.