PDA

View Full Version : Using NTL webspace - are there file limits?

Matuka
04-05-2004, 21:48
When using the NTL webspace, are there any file limits, be it type, filesize etc?

I am having great difficulties in uploading, deleting etc anything from mine.

Yet it logs in OK, creates folders etc.

Damn useless & has always been so, yet although I am leaving at the end of the month I still expect to be able to use it till then.

Paul
04-05-2004, 22:10
no limits i know of - I have had some pretty large files on it at times.

Steve H
04-05-2004, 22:14
How are you accessing the space? Via your browser or an ftp proggy?

aliferste
04-05-2004, 22:58
funny thing that.........mines always has been fine!

zoombini
05-05-2004, 08:07
He has been using Bulletproof FTP, every time he trys to upload a file, it starts, gets to about 3% and bombs out, says "insufficcient space or file locked" yet the file is not in use & there is mb's of space.

Nemesis
05-05-2004, 08:48
He has been using Bulletproof FTP, every time he trys to upload a file, it starts, gets to about 3% and bombs out, says "insufficcient space or file locked" yet the file is not in use & there is mb's of space.
I get that too ??? weird.

I use WS-FTP, but am willing to change it to something better if anyone has any recommnendations ...

skyblueheroes
05-05-2004, 09:08
I get that too ??? weird.

I use WS-FTP, but am willing to change it to something better if anyone has any recommnendations ...

I used to use Terrapin when I wa son ntl. No probs with that. Now I just use Dreamweavers own ftp for normal page updates, but Terrapin for admin (folders etc).

altis
05-05-2004, 09:40
Matuka, are you connected using a 4000 series set-top-box?

abailey152
05-05-2004, 12:03
I used to get the same problem when uploading large files. A work-around, is to change the FTP mode. Most ftp programs will use Passive Mode by default. This means that your ftp client makes the connection to the server. If you disable passive mode, Then you request a connection, but the server actually makes the connection to the client. The drawback? Well, if you are behind a firewall, you will either have to allow the server to connect (from the outside) or disable the firewall temporarily. The former is recommended!!! Not sure the ports used, but I'm sure if you log any connection attempts, it will be easy enough to set up a firewall rule to allow this.

Connecting this way always resulted in a better connection which allowed me to upload large files.

Paul
05-05-2004, 12:46
If you disable passive mode then the client should send a PORT command to the server - the server should then attempt to connect to you from its port 20 to your port xxxxx - as specified in the PORT command.

Matuka
05-05-2004, 20:38
Yes I'm using a Dl4000-N series box.

I'm sure that I can FTp eslewhere OK, its just the NTL space that I cannot?

altis
06-05-2004, 10:08
Yes I'm using a Dl4000-N series box.

Unfortunately, these have an issue with uploading large files that sometimes causes the transfer to fail. I suffered from this same problem a while ago. You'll either have to live with it or call customer services and get yourself onto SACM.

Graham M
06-05-2004, 10:13
Active Mode uses Ports 20 and 21.