PDA

View Full Version : Can I use any cable modem with NTL Broadband service?

robinbowes
04-05-2004, 16:41
Hi,

I've got NTL Broadband in RH1 area, currently through a PACE STB.

Can I replace the STB with a cable modem / router and expect it to work? (e.g. Zyxel 944s)? Or does the cable modem have to be a certain approved type?

Thanks,

R.

Bill C
04-05-2004, 16:58
Hi,

I've got NTL Broadband in RH1 area, currently through a PACE STB.

Can I replace the STB with a cable modem / router and expect it to work? (e.g. Zyxel 944s)? Or does the cable modem have to be a certain approved type?

Thanks,

R.

You have to use a approved modem. :cry:

They are "thanks to Monkeybreath for the list"

3com CMX
3com Tailfin
Motorolla SB3100
Motorolla SB4100
Terayon Terajet 210
ntl home 100
ntl home 120
ntl home 200

I think thats them all.

Chris W
04-05-2004, 16:59
:welcome: to the site

The only modems allowed on ntl's network are:
3com CMX and Tailfin
Motorolla SB3100 and SB4100
Terayon Terajet 210
ntlhome (ambit) 100, 120, 200

only certain modems work in ex cw areas, and i can't remember whether rh1 is or not at the moment! Your best bet is to ring ntl and ask if you can switch to SACM instead of STB and then they will supply you an ntlhome 200 modem for free anyway. You can use any router that you want on the service, as long as it has either an ethernet/ usb connection available so it can connect to the modem.

hth

MB :monkey:

EDITThey are "thanks to Monkeybreath for the list"
grr if i had replied 20 seconds later, i wouldn't have had to retype the list ;):pp

Bill C
04-05-2004, 17:02

The only modems allowed on ntl's network are:
3com CMX and Tailfin
Motorolla SB3100 and SB4100
Terayon Terajet 210
ntlhome (ambit) 100, 120, 200

only certain modems work in ex cw areas, and i can't remember whether rh1 is or not at the moment! Your best bet is to ring ntl and ask if you can switch to SACM instead of STB and then they will supply you an ntlhome 200 modem for free anyway. You can use any router that you want on the service, as long as it has either an ethernet/ usb connection available so it can connect to the modem.

hth

MB :monkey:

EDIT
grr if i had replied 20 seconds later, i wouldn't have had to retype the list ;):pp

:LOL:

Ignition
04-05-2004, 17:14
Ah by the way you need to have a modem that's been registered with NTL, so you can't use any of the above unless they are registered to your good self and your account.

Any attempt to use your own modem on the network results in the uBR under instruction from the DHCP rejecting that modem regardless of its' manufacturer or type.

Pritch
04-05-2004, 17:41

Given that Robin is going through a STB, that would mean he's ex-CWC, in which case only the Ambit modems can be used, as far as I'm aware.

paulyoung666
04-05-2004, 17:43
as ntl supply the modem as part of the ' deal ' what are you trying to achieve , btw :welcome: to the site :)

Mal
04-05-2004, 18:52
If you're using a stb and ask nicely, will ntl change it over to a sacm no problems, or does there have to be a very good reason to change?

Matuka
04-05-2004, 21:28
Maybe he/she has a decent modem :D

Mal
04-05-2004, 21:54
If you're using a stb and ask nicely, will ntl change it over to a sacm no problems, or does there have to be a very good reason to change?
Sorry, this was a question for myself

baldy
04-05-2004, 22:25
One major point to note, especially with 3Com models is that they have to be within the allowed MAC ID range for them to be accepted on the network. A drawback with this is that if you had bought your modem (via Global etc.) and it breaks and you have a replacement under warranty it may not work :)

3Com have shipped replacements that are NOT in the allowed range in the past. The only option here is to have an ntl 'approved' modem shipped to you from customer services.

robinbowes
05-05-2004, 15:03
Thanks for all the replies.

The main reason I asked the question is that I put a bid in on a Zyxel 944s on ebay then realised it was a cable modem/router/switch, rather than just a router/switch, ie. it has a coax connection rather than an uplink port.
I've currently got a Zyxel Prestige 310 router connected to my STB plus a NetGear switch, not to mention a couple of 3COM network jacks and a 3COM 11g access point/gateway. I've got this all configured to create a perimeter network and an internal network.

It looks something like this:

STB-->Router-->Switch-->Gateway-->internal clients
|
+-->mail/web servers

Currently, STB->Router is a 10MB/s connection, whilst all other connections are 100MB/s.

However, because I have two gateways I end up with two lots of NAT from the internal network. I'd like to just use plain routing and filtering between the perimeter network and the interior network. However, I've been unable to track down a cheap router with a 100MB/s uplink port. Does any one know of one?

Thanks,

R.

Stuartbe
05-05-2004, 15:07
I have a simular setup and use one server with 3 nics for the system. One goes to the pix then the modem. One goes to the internal network and one goes to the external services (web/email ect)....

That would be the best way to go. If you want a router that will give you these functions then I would save up your pennies and treat yourself to a propper Cisco router :)

DeadKenny
06-05-2004, 12:56
However, I've been unable to track down a cheap router with a 100MB/s uplink port. Does any one know of one?

Build yourself a Linux router. Freesco (www.freesco.org) is a nice one that only requires a low-spec PC (early Pentium will do) and a floppy drive (no hard disc required), plus a couple of network cards (they can both be 100Mbps if you like).

I'm surprised that most commercial "cheap" (aka "DSL/Cable") routers don't have 100Mbps uplinks. I've not checked myself but I can't see any reason to limit it to 10Mbps (even for price reasons). Tried looking at router/switch combos as switches are more likely to have 100Mbps uplinks I would have thought?

P.S. Why a gateway on the network, why not one router serving the whole network inc the public server, especially if they're all NATed?

BBKing
06-05-2004, 23:17
If the STB is working fine there's no need to bother putting a SACM in (costs ntl money, costs user time and effort re-registering everything, risk of early life failure, fault calls etc.).

Anyone using an STB for broadband is by definition in a EuroDOCSIS area so only ntl-certified EuroDOCSIS modems need apply, which is basically the Ambit 120 and 200 at present (a couple more in the pipeline).