PDA

View Full Version : Unable to browse internet

setch
02-05-2004, 22:54
I have a problem with one of my PC's. It will not browse the web. It was fine this morning, nothing has changed software or hardware wise. I am behind a linksys router. Other PCs browse fine.

I have an IP address, I can ping www.ntlworld.com and get 62.253.162.30 back.

When I enter a URL the status line says

"Website found, waiting for a reply", but it never goes any further. the progress bar just sticks at approx 50%

No Virus, but maybe something has hijacked my browser. I have run Adaware, but that shows nothing.

Any help would be appreciated

Setch

Paul
02-05-2004, 23:09
Do you have a proxy server specified in IE on the problem pc ?

setch
02-05-2004, 23:13
No, it is set to Automatically detect settings.

Florence
02-05-2004, 23:16
I also had this today and had to specify the dns servers to access teh websites yet mirc, msn, trillian and FTP client all worked.
Tech support didn't know what was up either but ticking to specify the dns servers worked.

go into settings>control panel> network-dialup>local area network>tcp/ip properties> in preferred DNS server i put 194.168.4.100 and alternative 194.168.8.100

hope that helps if not phone the support and tell them its the dns

setch
02-05-2004, 23:19
I tried 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100, nothing changed.

Paul
02-05-2004, 23:20
No, it is set to Automatically detect settings.

I would turn that off - you don't need it.

If it still fails then try specifying a proxy - such as 62.254.0.38 on port 8080.

setch
02-05-2004, 23:28
I would turn that off - you don't need it.

If it still fails then try specifying a proxy - such as 62.254.0.38 on port 8080.

Tried that still no joy. Don't lose sight of the fact that I can still use the net on my other PC, as I am now. My other PC is setup the same as this one. Only difference is that the broken one is XP Pro and this working one is 2003 Server.

Setch

Florence
02-05-2004, 23:43
Pem the proxy failed for me yet when tech support told me to do that I had the internet back.

setch have you checked the other pc with the router/ethernet card to see if anything has changed itself ( the bugs in systems moving around) :)

try disabling the ethernet card then renabling it that worked once on hubbys XP :erm: :D he now uses 2k like me its a lot easier

Paul
03-05-2004, 00:14
Pem the proxy failed for me yet when tech support told me to do that I had the internet back.
Ok ....... are you talking about dns ? I did not reply to your post or mention dns so I'm not quite sure why you're telling me this :confused: - However - his dns seems to be fine since his ping attempt on ntlworld came back with an IP address.

setch - In your first post you said you could ping ntlworld - I assumed you meant from the pc that cannot browse & that the ping worked ok - is this right or wrong ? Also, from the non working pc can to go to a dos prompt and type "telnet www.cableforum.co.uk 80" (without the quotes, with the spaces) and tell us the result.

Can each pc ping the other pc ok ?

Also - have you tried re-booting the router ?

Chrysalis
03-05-2004, 00:34
well specifying those servers wont change anything at all as they are ntl dns servers which are the same as what is automatically assigned to you, try the dns servers listed here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8783

threadbare
03-05-2004, 01:17
Tried that still no joy. Don't lose sight of the fact that I can still use the net on my other PC, as I am now. My other PC is setup the same as this one. Only difference is that the broken one is XP Pro and this working one is 2003 Server.

Setch
why not try a system restore? start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore. roll it back to when it was working. Its clearly a PC problem as you rightlky suggest. specifying proxy's and dns servers is unlikey to help.

setch
03-05-2004, 11:04
I can ping my internal PCs both ways. I cannot telnet to www.cableforum.co.uk 80, or any other url. I get the command line response saying connected, which promptly dissappears and then nothing, as soon as I press a key it returns control back to the dos prompt. I am also unable to restore to a previous restore point. It goes through the motions and then tells me that it could not restore, try another restore point. I have been back to over a month, daily.

This is killing me, I don't want to rebuild my PC. I have a shed load of stuff installed and it will take me a couple of days to get it back to the way I want it.

Setch

wheeliebin
03-05-2004, 11:40
why not try a system restore? start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore. roll it back to when it was working. Its clearly a PC problem as you rightlky suggest. specifying proxy's and dns servers is unlikey to help.

good call IMHO...A rollback seems the easiest thing to try

Paul
03-05-2004, 12:52
I cannot telnet to www.cableforum.co.uk 80, or any other url. I get the command line response saying connected, which promptly dissappears and then nothing, as soon as I press a key it returns control back to the dos prompt.

That is exactly what should happen - that means you are connecting to the server - so the problem is not connectivity related - it would appear to be related to IE on your machine.

setch
03-05-2004, 13:24
I have just attempted to repair XP from the CD, but still cannot browse. . If I telnet to your server from my working PC, I get the HTML content displayed and then "Connection Lost".

Just tried again from my dead PC and I get a blank screen and a thick minus sign everytime I press a key. So I must have been seeing things when I first attempted this.

Setch

BBKing
03-05-2004, 13:59
Um - probably worth explaining what happens when you telnet to port 80 on a machine. You're effectively testing the raw TCP connection to the webserver, so you have to pretend to be a web browser in order to get anything back. That means talking HTTP. So when you've connected using
telnet www.google.com 80
(which incidentally proves that your PC can connect fine to websites) type (capitals important):

GET http://www.google.com/ HTTP/1.1

Press Enter *twice*

You *should* get a load of html forming the Google front page.

setch
03-05-2004, 14:29
No luck with any with anything I have tried so far. I am going for the ultimate pain and doing a reinstall as I type.

Setch

Shaun
03-05-2004, 15:06
Have you tried to install another browser and see if you can connect with that, if you can then its definitely down to IE??

setch
03-05-2004, 15:29
Yep, I tried Opera with the same results. It is strange to say the least. I have a VPN connection to my office. It works in that it validates my SecureID token from the server in the U.S., but then fails to connect to the Citrix server in London.

setch
03-05-2004, 15:42
I have reinstalled and I am back in business.

Setch

Shaun
03-05-2004, 16:10
I have reinstalled and I am back in business.

Setch

Glad to hear it, windows can be such a pain some days :(

I hope it doesn't take you too long to get it back as you like it ;)

setch
03-05-2004, 16:14
It will take a couple of days, I backed up all my source code and other data files prior to rebuilding. I will install my compilers and office etc. and then taken an image, should have done it before would have saved me a lot of hassle.

Setch

Shaun
03-05-2004, 16:23
It will take a couple of days, I backed up all my source code and other data files prior to rebuilding. I will install my compilers and office etc. and then taken an image, should have done it before would have saved me a lot of hassle.

Setch

I have a base image of both my comps just after a reinstall when everything is working, it makes it so much easier when something goes wrong. I also keep my documents on a separate partition so its only takes 10 min to revert back if stuff goes wrong, Norton ghost is a great invention :)

Paul
03-05-2004, 16:40
I use Acronis - it can take images while the machine is running as well as via boot-up. I can save them direct to a share on another machine (via either method above). I take an image about once a month - or just prior to any major changes.

setch
03-05-2004, 17:23
I have Drive Image, so I will make an image after I have completed the installations.

I have used Ghost before at work, never heard of Acronis, may take a look.

Setch

Shaun
04-05-2004, 01:20
I have Drive Image, so I will make an image after I have completed the installations.

I have used Ghost before at work, never heard of Acronis, may take a look.

Setch

I've never heard of it either I'll have to have a google.

Paul
04-05-2004, 01:31
http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ :)