PDA

View Full Version : Southampton and Winchester problems

Paul
01-05-2004, 19:34
Just received this from one of our NTL contacts;

Customers in the Southampton and Winchester areas may experience intermittent / slow connection and packet loss. This is due to local network issues affecting the cable network's return path. Local engineers are working on restoring the local optical network and removing interference from the coaxial network.

paulyoung666
01-05-2004, 19:54
Just received this from one of our NTL contacts;

good heads up i reckon :tu:

Ignition
01-05-2004, 20:49
Interesting, nice and detailed.

Would people (even if they don't understand all the details) be interested in getting this level of detail on all fault reports?

homealone
01-05-2004, 21:12

Would people (even if they don't understand all the details) be interested in getting this level of detail on all fault reports?

yes, definitely :tu:

Paul
01-05-2004, 21:28

In my experience yes - people like to be told what the problem is - and what is being done - even if it sometimes sounds technical. :D

Chris W
01-05-2004, 21:46

yes :tu: IMO the people who want to know the technical details will then be told, and those who don't care/ don't understand about the technical bits can just ignore it. I can't see any problems being created by having more detail.

Plonking
01-05-2004, 21:55
hey all,

yeah the problems in this area are a bitch right now! i mentioned it a few days ago (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=11690), but the probs seem to be getting a bit better now. its been bad(ish) since last sunday, so i'm not sure if that is connected or whatever.

i was just talking to one of my uni friends on the phone, she is having major probs too at southampton uni, lol!

i was thinking as well that it would be helpful if ntl told us (or at least tried) about any suspected problems. it would have helped me a great deal if i knew they were having problems, rather than having to sit and power cycle my CM every five minutes thinking that there was a problem at my end, lol! i wouldn't get annoyed that there were problems, it would help because i could know and try to work around them! :)

P

homealone
01-05-2004, 22:32
hey all,

yeah the problems in this area are a bitch right now! i mentioned it a few days ago (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=11690), but the probs seem to be getting a bit better now. its been bad(ish) since last sunday, so i'm not sure if that is connected or whatever.

i was just talking to one of my uni friends on the phone, she is having major probs too at southampton uni, lol!

i was thinking as well that it would be helpful if ntl told us (or at least tried) about any suspected problems. it would have helped me a great deal if i knew they were having problems, rather than having to sit and power cycle my CM every five minutes thinking that there was a problem at my end, lol! i wouldn't get annoyed that there were problems, it would help because i could know and try to work around them! :)

P

Hi Plonking, the problem is listed in the service status link

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp :)