PDA

View Full Version : Recent Spell of problems

andrew_wallasey
30-04-2004, 21:49
I shall start off the post on a more positive note. We first got NTL installed just over 12 months ago and have not had a single problem or hickup since day 1. Could not have been more pleased with the service.

We first ordered:

2x STB and 1x Telephone line

Installation went smoothly engineers seemed to know what they were doing, everything spot on. We were given 2x Pace DiTV4000N boxes.

In November last year we had installed a third STB. Installation went smoothly but was a bit confused as to why I was given a DiTV1000 STB with an old C&W smart card (chip scratched to bits on the card). This box worked but had problems with the smart card and had to be rebooted a lot, I found this model of box very unstable compared to the DiTV4000N's we have got.

When the third box was put in the other boxes in the house occasionally glitched and when we phoned up NTL they said the boxes had a low RF reading. Engineer needed to come out but we never got round to booking it.

Last Friday we had Broadband installed, the engineers installed the cable to the drop box on the wall and hooked everything up and left. When I checked the TVs one of them had infact gone off. So I called the area manager up explained the situation and the guy sent the crew back to look what had gone wrong. They said sorry nothing we can do about it there isnt enough signal coming to the house. They put us on the top tap in the CAB and still nothing. So they said we will come back and install an RJ11 cable as this will give you the extra power that you need for everything in the house.

An appointment was arranged for today to do the RJ11 re-pull. Got a phone call last night, saying "sorry someone has phoned in sick and they wont be able to come out and do your repull". So I said that I wasnt happy and they sorted something out for a crew to come out first thing this morning.

The crew didnt have any RJ11 so just pulled a 2nd RJ6/Telco (3pair) (Simese) to the drop box and then put a 2 way splitter on each (2x STB / 1x STB & SACM). Now we are still getting low singnal on 2 of the STB. I am not sure about the SACM yet as I can't get into the diag panel but I think it should be ok as that is connected to the splitter which the STB is connected to that is fine.

The other thing the crew were meant to be doing today was replacing the STB (one which was fitted in November) with a new DiTV 4000N/4010 STB. First time the replaced the box (4000N) it received the hit before it was sent, so it had to be changed again (Upon instruction of the area manager) (I don't understand why and neither does the engineer which came out this evening, I will explain about this in a bit). They then gave me another DiTV 1000 / C&W smart card / NTL logo on the front.

After they left the STB started freezing and had to be rebooted a number of times. I went to call the area manager and when I picked up the phone there was no dail tone. So I went to get my mobile and there was a messages on it all day asking why the phones off (from relatives). Tried to phone the area manager kept going onto voicemail. So I dailed customer service and I spoke to someone called Steve in Manchester (i almost took his name and address to send him a bottle of wine, thanks mate!!!). He said "Yes" the line is tripping out but it is ringing in the CAB so there must be a fault between you and the CAB. I then explained the problems I was having with the STB. This was about 4pm and there was a guy at the house by 5pm.

The guy was quite confused as to what they had done but found out that all the 3pairs in the origional Simese cable has been damaged (all I am hoping is the reason I am getting low signal reading on one of the cables is because its not damaged). Lukily having the other 3 pairs from the 2nd simese they pulled up today he was able to get the telephone back on.

He then took a look at the STB and agreed the singals were low but (it should work). He looked at the STB and replaced it again so this is 4 different boxes have been hooked up today in the same room. I have now got a DiTV 1000 / C&W Smart Card / C&W logo on the front. This just doesnt look professional sending out boxes with not even your company logo on the front.

I went outside before and the drop box cover has burst off, I cant secure it with a screw as it is knackerd the one in it and wont come out. The thing which the cable tie goes through on the back plate has snapped. So I have just tried my best to secure it. I just can't wait to see what happens next.

Could someone please advice:

1. I want a new STB (yes the one which has been replaced 3 times today still isnt working spot on).
2. Something doing about the signals as the TV's are getting pixelation on occasion.
3. A new drop box before some ******* come and rips all the wiring out (our house is about 6 foot from the pavement) and then ntl will have sumthing to worry about.
4. What is NTL's policy on riser guards on ya drop cables? As I have asked for one so people cant come and cut ya wires easily. Putting a riser guard over the two simeses and 2 coax (2 x stb) would make it look a lot neater as it looks like a dogs dinner at the moment.

But I can tell you this isnt 1/2 the problems I had with BT and I am glad to see the back of them and not getting another penny of my money! I do not agree about NTL's customer service I think its great on the whole. Maybe I am just lucky!

andrew_wallasey
30-04-2004, 21:49
Sorry if there is bad spelling, I typed it out quickly and didnt check it.

Nikko
30-04-2004, 21:55
Welcome to the Forum, andrew :)

Which area are you in?

andrew_wallasey
30-04-2004, 21:56
Wallasey, Wirral (North West) Manchester we come under.

Nikko
30-04-2004, 21:57
I am sure someone from that neck of the woods will wander by in due course and take things up

Proppinupthebar
30-04-2004, 21:59
Sorry if there is bad spelling, I typed it out quickly and didnt check it.
Welcome Andrew to the site.
I'm sorry you've had issues with your recent additions, I would keep complaining and asking for additions to be added to the notes on your account, each time you call I would ask for a summary for the last call you made, to check each call is being recorded.

RG11 is lower loss cable than RG6. I think ultimately you will need run(s) of RG11 to give you the levels you need to feed all the boxes you have.

andrew_wallasey
30-04-2004, 21:59
I hope so because I am dreading another crew coming out the broadband will go off its the only thing not been broken.

andrew_wallasey
30-04-2004, 22:12
Will 1x RJ11 give you better readings than 2x RJ6's?

Proppinupthebar
30-04-2004, 22:16
Will 1x RJ11 give you better readings than 2x RJ6's?

It depends on the taps available in the streetcab for the RG6 feeds and RG11 (not RJ).

andrew_wallasey
30-04-2004, 22:20
We are on the top tap (ones with the most power apparently).

ntl customer
30-04-2004, 22:21
I have now got a DiTV 1000 / C&W Smart Card / C&W logo on the front. This just doesnt look professional sending out boxes with not even your company logo on the front.
The reason why they have a C&W logo on the front is because they are a relic from the days when C&W used to own the franchise around your area.

ntl bought out their residential cable TV operations a few years back, and as a result have a hotchpotch of equipment with ntl and C&W logos on them.

Perhaps ntl should do what ITV Digital did and issue stickers to to customers so they can place the ntl logo on top of the old C&W one ;) :pp :D

andrew_wallasey
30-04-2004, 22:24
Yer but NTL took over this area years ago these boxes are antiques.

Proppinupthebar
30-04-2004, 22:24
We are on the top tap (ones with the most power apparently).

The two RG6 feeds (and hence two taps) may be on a lower power feed than actually available to a single RG11 feed. Either way, if the levels with RG6 aren't sufficient then RG 11 should be used for both feeds.

Proppinupthebar
30-04-2004, 22:26
Yer but NTL took over this area years ago these boxes are antiques.

The boxes are fine. Read the forums, some people would kill for 2000 boxes and hate 4000's (which are the equivelent of 4010's on Langley).
There are fans of each box, the branding is just that, branding.

andrew_wallasey
30-04-2004, 22:27
How can you get into the diag panel on the NTL:home 200 SACM. I think the one STB which is ok is maybe ok just because it is right next to the drop box (2 foot from the splitter).

andrew_wallasey
30-04-2004, 22:29
The boxes are fine. Read the forums, some people would kill for 2000 boxes and hate 4000's (which are the equivelent of 4010's on Langley).
There are fans of each box, the branding is just that, branding.
My personal experiance of these 1000 boxes is they are crap I have had 3 now and they have all had problems. This is probably because I am about 5th user of the box.

Graham M
01-05-2004, 01:34
I had so much trouble with the Pace 4000. Downgraded to a 1000 and have had no problems since.

andrew_wallasey
01-05-2004, 08:47
The reason some people might have problems with the 4000 is because of the extra power it needs but I am actually having difficulty with the software on these boxes. Anyone know anything about a faulty batch of 1000's?

andrew_wallasey
01-05-2004, 11:25
Just spoke to the technial dept and they are going to come out on Tuesday. So if anyone could pull any strings to make sure they come and fit two new RG11 cables, a new STB, a new drop box and some riser guard. I will be most happy :) lol.

andrew_wallasey
05-05-2004, 11:41
Hi,

Just to update you all. The engineer came out yesterday and said that the installation was terrible and we are having a crew out tomorrow morning to install an RG11 cable. Could someone please advice me the signal difference between RG6 and RG11 and if we will need 1 or 2 RG11 feeds.

We are >100m from the CAB and have:

1x Telephone Line / 3 STB's / 1 SACM

We have VERY low signal on 1 of the current RG6 feeds (two way splitter) 1 SACM and 1 STB. The signal is not as bad on the other RG6 feed but there is still problems with the quality of picture on the other two STB.

Stuartbe
05-05-2004, 11:46
Lets hope they get your problem sorted out once and for all. Make sure you keep us updated :)

andrew_wallasey
05-05-2004, 12:53
Will do but if anyone can help me with my above questions id be most grateful!

Thanks,

Andrew

altis
05-05-2004, 14:10
RG11 is fatter and has less attenuation than RG6 - details here (under coaxial cables):
http://bwcecom.belden.com/catalog/techinfo/techinfo.htm

andrew_wallasey
05-05-2004, 14:44
altis, do you think I will need two runs of RG11 or just 1? going on the details above?

altis
05-05-2004, 14:50
Haven't a clue mate. But I would guess that it's not necessary to run two. You'll need a 4-way splitter for all that lot which will introduce 6dB of loss but the installer should have plenty of taps to play with in the cabinet to compensate for this.

jeffbodkin
05-05-2004, 15:32
The service guys can fit what we call an HDU and it is a 4way powered signal booster that is fitted in the omni box outside the house so there is no signal loss everytime the signal is split, ie: losing 3.5dB through every split. This is a common problem which installers never address. More often than not they just disconnect another box to get the SACM working. With an rg11 you should gain about 5-6 dB over an 100m drop at 746mhz

andrew_wallasey
06-05-2004, 14:45
Hi,

They came out this morning and fitted an RG11 and an RG6. The RG11 is split 3 ways (2x STB, 1x SACM) and the RG6 is on a barrel (1x STB). They said the installation was a joke and almost every connection wasnt right. So we now have excellent signal in the house on all items so im pleased about that :) Top marks to the people which came out !!!

Unfortunately they did not have a spare STB on the van to exchange the 1000 im having problems with but they had a look and it says "tuning parameters corrupt" in the box logs. Does anyone know anything about this error, and if/how it can be got round? The box tends to freeze a lot.

Neil
06-05-2004, 14:55
Unfortunately they did not have a spare STB on the van to exchange the 1000 im having problems with but they had a look and it says "tuning parameters corrupt" in the box logs. Does anyone know anything about this error, and if/how it can be got round? The box tends to freeze a lot.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html#pacediag

HTH.

andrew_wallasey
06-05-2004, 17:27
Neil thanks for that... I have seen the error on that screen but it doesnt explain what it means? unless im being blind.

BBKing
06-05-2004, 22:55
Firstly thanks for your patience, it's nice to read a well-written comprehensive explanation of problems. Installations gone bad is something we're very interested in.

If you can drop me a PM with any of your details on it (any of the STB MAC addresses or IP addresses or smart card numbers) I can check them remotely. I'll be able to see which one's the 1000 quite easily.

Perhaps ntl should do what ITV Digital did and issue stickers to to customers so they can place the ntl logo on top of the old C&W one

They do, a friend of the missus came round the other night and is an ex-CWC area ntl customer with an 2000 STB (I checked it for him remotely) and it has an ntl sticker on it.

rdhw
07-05-2004, 11:34
it says "tuning parameters corrupt" in the box logs. Does anyone know anything about this error, and if/how it can be got round?I do not think that this message has any relationship to the box freezing a lot.

What I guess this message means is that most cable devices store in memory information about possible channel spacing, the max and min possible downstream frequency and the frequency of the downstream that they last found. If this memory doesn't make sense when the box boots up, it logs this message and has to search the entire frequency spectrum again for the downstream. Once it has found the downstream, it shouldn't make any difference to how well it functions online, it just affects the time taken to boot up. So I think you can safely ignore this message.

andrew_wallasey
07-05-2004, 16:55
Problems sorted out for now, I am going to keep an eye on the STB and will get that changed if its still giving me problems but no problems so far.