PDA

View Full Version : Jail for filesharing?

Richard M
18-07-2003, 12:45
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/31800.html
:eek:

danielf
18-07-2003, 12:49
Tss, the man is a lunatic....

And how the hell does one track constitute a retail value of $250? I know cds are too expensive, but not that expensive...

Stuart
18-07-2003, 13:14
He is mad..

Still, this guy obviously likes toadying up to the RIAA...

I have to admit, I am still not convinced file sharing has done as much damage to the music industry as the industry itself. The industry seems to busy manufacturing the next boy band to actually sit down and develop talent.. I am speaking generally, I know there are talented musicians that are doing well at the moment.

I did read a while back (maybe 6 months) that sales were down to the same levels as 1992. This, obviously, is way before file sharing...

danielf
18-07-2003, 13:20
I wonder if he has any kids :)

Martin
18-07-2003, 13:26
Some people just really go over the top. I have the odd MP3 from Kazza but I still buy CD's:) An original CD will always be better in my book.

danielf
18-07-2003, 13:29
Originally posted by Martin
Some people just really go over the top. I have the odd MP3 from Kazza but I still buy CD's:) An original CD will always be better in my book.

Same here, I've got some 200 CDs (and 150 or so LPs). I'd happily buy more CDs if enough quality music were released.

Mr_love_monkey
18-07-2003, 14:37
Originally posted by danielf
Same here, I've got some 200 CDs (and 150 or so LPs). I'd happily buy more CDs if enough quality music were released.

At the end of the day, this is really the problem.
So much crud has been released, by bands just recently - while at the same time the price per album has gone up - that people like you, and myself (I own approximately 400 CDs) - are thinking twice about spening 15 quid on a cd that may or may not be absolute rubbish.

If you look at some of the artists that have really complained about P2P - such as Metallica and Oasis - it seems to me, that it's usually the ones that have the most to lose? - i.e. both those bands have released some real stinkers of albums, in the past 5 years - and if people had been able to hear them before hand then they probably wouldn't have bought them.

Hypothetically speaking (/checks for any lawyers) I would be prepared be download an album and see if it was any good - before I actually went out and got a legit copy - because I've wasted more than enough money over the years - and am not as eager to just hand over my money any more.
Of course that last statement is entirely hypothetical, since I don't use P2P programs - I don't even know what they are, let alone own one. Or an internet connection. Or a computer for that matter (hopefully that should cover all the bases :) )

Richard M
19-07-2003, 15:09
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/31833.html

I'm glad I don't live in the US. :afire: