PDA

View Full Version : Moving house but no ntl is there

dre101
25-04-2004, 20:07
I'm moving house in a few weeks time, but its a new house so there is no ntl or bt line there, I rang ntl about it and they said they would send a surveyor out to the new house, he said that it will cost £220 to get ntl into my house, and i rang bt about it and they said it would cost £75 to get bt installed but i wanna keep ntl.

Why is it so much more expensive to install ntl than to install bt? And can't ntl lower the price to compete with bt? I'm sure ntl don't want to lose me as a customer

paulyoung666
25-04-2004, 20:09
hi and :welcome: to the site , i suppose it would depend on how close the nearest ntl box is compared to the nearest bt box , i suppose you could always blackmail them and say you are going to bt , its got to be worth a try i reckon ;) :D :D :D :D

marfleet
12-06-2004, 20:12
if there is a tee outside your new house ntl can put your sevices on. phone c/services and ask them how come it will cost £220 when thay say installation is FREE and see what thay have to say

andrew_wallasey
16-06-2004, 16:34
In the past ive heard that NTL might not be in that specific street but its at the top of the road so they might extend the network slightly so someone in the side road can get it.

Or there might be no tee outside that persons house.

nidave
17-06-2004, 00:30
they extended te network a litte to get to our house - had to go through a couple of peoples gardens - (who all became subscrubers). Our house is on a Terrace - and off the road in a courtyard. this was about 5 years ago mind you!

quadplay
17-06-2004, 01:06
Also, BT aren't allowed to charge more than a standard installation fee (currently £75). ntl can, of course, charge what they like, to reflect the cost of actually installing the equipment/service.

Earl of Bronze
17-06-2004, 02:03
Also, BT aren't allowed to charge more than a standard installation fee (currently £75). ntl can, of course, charge what they like, to reflect the cost of actually installing the equipment/service.

Yeah. But be fare, its a bit easier to run an over-head telco than it is to open the foot/roadway and bury a 4 inch duct, plus a 2 inch swept 'T' and toby. :)

andrew_wallasey
17-06-2004, 12:15
Exactly.

GazzaB
17-06-2004, 12:37
This is not a standard Ntl install charge, the £220 charge is because this address requires construction work to put a tee up to the property or have ducting corrected I guess so Ntl need to cover the cost of this work.

andrew_wallasey
17-06-2004, 12:49
I guess it probably costs more than £220 to install a tee as a one off job.

marfleet
19-06-2004, 20:49
the lads that install the tee work on day rate so there on about £60 per day so where does the rest of the money go?????????

Chris W
19-06-2004, 21:01
the lads that install the tee work on day rate so there on about £60 per day so where does the rest of the money go?????????

probably to the council because IIRC there is quite a hefty fee for digging up road/ pavement