PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Email down again!!!!!

Russ
11-07-2003, 18:46
Anyone else getting errors when trying to recieve emails? 2 of the 3 accounts in OE are having a paddy and webmail is telling me my usernames and passwords are incorrect.

blackthorn
11-07-2003, 18:54
Mine is working ok For once

Martin
11-07-2003, 18:59
Working for me Russ:) Though I have had the hit and miss accounts a few days ago. They'll come back at some point and then the others will go down.:(

cjll3
11-07-2003, 19:09
Originally posted by Russ D
Anyone else getting errors when trying to recieve emails? 2 of the 3 accounts in OE are having a paddy and webmail is telling me my usernames and passwords are incorrect.

<satire warning="do not take seriously">
It's an evil plot to get everyone to switch to hotmail
</satire>

a4pacific
12-07-2003, 14:13
I must say NTL is getting better, my emails have not been down since when they announced what they were doing to improve it.

allanprg
12-07-2003, 15:16
My email is working fine at the moment
:wavey: :smokin:

Jonboy
12-07-2003, 20:31
SHhhhuuuussshhhh might wake the gremlin up:D

rippedoff
17-07-2003, 14:01
17 July 2003 12:24
Ntlworld Email Service - All Packages
ntl:home internet customers on all packages may currently experience intermittent difficulties accessing some or all of their email accounts.

Our engineer are aware and are working towards a resolution.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

matty4donna
17-07-2003, 14:04
Mine seems to be working fine :)

orangebird
17-07-2003, 14:04
Originally posted by rippedoff
17 July 2003 12:24
ntl:home internet customers on all packages may currently experience intermittent difficulties accessing some or all of their email accounts.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

So, pick up the phone. It's good to talk :)

timewarrior2001
17-07-2003, 14:13
I'm experienceing one, the email server keeps terminating the connection, has been for the last hour approx.

rippedoff
17-07-2003, 14:19
Originally posted by Andre
Rippedoff-are you actually experiencing an email problem, or just moaning because there is an email problem!? :D

What's ****ing you off Andre? Are we not able to post stuff like this anymore? I thought the site was supposed to be helpful? Does it not help if users know there is a problem?
As it happens, the reason I know there is a problem is that I have being trying to access my personal email from the web, and find it impossible to sign in. I then checked service status and got the message.
If you have a problem with any of that, can you let me (and other forum members) know so we will be aware of whether or not is is worth logging in to this site again!

:grind: :2up: :afire: :upyours:

Bigtone
17-07-2003, 14:33
What's ****ing you off Andre? Are we not able to post stuff like this anymore? I thought the site was supposed to be helpful? Does it not help if users know there is a problem?
As it happens, the reason I know there is a problem is that I have being trying to access my personal email from the web, and find it impossible to sign in. I then checked service status and got the message.
If you have a problem with any of that, can you let me (and other forum members) know so we will be aware of whether or not is is worth logging in to this site again!

:grind: :2up: :afire: :upyours:

Oh.... I've just noticed... you didn't have a pop at Russ when he raised a similar one a while ago!
HERE (http://http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?postid=21761#post21761)
So this site is much like the old one already - different rules for different users!

:td:

Talk about a slight over reaction.... :geez:

My email is down but i dont take it out on everybody else... chill man I'm sure Andre was jesting hence the smiley.... :)

Stuart
17-07-2003, 16:26
Perhaps with all the recent email problems, it would be easier for people to start a thread when email is working? Could save a lot of threads...

LOL :rofl:

Ramrod
17-07-2003, 16:32
My email is not working either:
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Mark W
17-07-2003, 16:36
yep, one of our mail servers has fallen over. they have given an estimated fix time of 19.30 - tho to be frank, with these sorta problems they seem to pluck the fix time outa thin air....

fingers crossed it will be up again soon :erm:

timewarrior2001
17-07-2003, 16:39
"help vic, I've fallen"
on a more serious note though, besides fixing the email servers are the NTL techies looking into why they seem to be so unstable?

orangebird
17-07-2003, 16:40
Mine's fine :rofl:

Mark W
17-07-2003, 16:42
Originally posted by orangebird
Mine's fine :rofl:

tempting fate/famous last words - take your pic :erm: ;)

timewarrior2001
17-07-2003, 16:42
My primary account isnt working, but others I have setup, rather one other I have set up is working. Thats some weird problem lol

Richard M
17-07-2003, 16:43
Originally posted by timewarrior2001
"help vic, I've fallen"
on a more serious note though, besides fixing the email servers are the NTL techies looking into why they seem to be so unstable?

Probably due to the amount of SPAM going through the servers to us. :afire:

timewarrior2001
17-07-2003, 16:44
is that the NTL webmail spam or the AOL related spam which I get so much of? lol

orangebird
17-07-2003, 16:45
Originally posted by Mark W
tempting fate/famous last words - take your pic :erm: ;)

Nope - just logged out and logged in again. Still working! :rofl:

musey
17-07-2003, 17:12
Still not working for me, and hasn't all afternoon. :(

altis
17-07-2003, 17:52
Yep, Mailwasher and Outlook Express have been struggling for me this afternoon on various accounts.

LooeyUK
17-07-2003, 18:38
mine is ****ing down aswell.

NOTE TO NTL. SORT IT OUT FFS

allanprg
17-07-2003, 19:52
My email aint working all I get is server has disconnected. Here we go again.:mad: :devsmoke: :devsmoke:

Undisputedtruth
17-07-2003, 19:58
Originally posted by orangebird
Nope - just logged out and logged in again. Still working! :rofl:

I get it, emails system works for NTL staff but not for customers. Interesting.

matty4donna
17-07-2003, 20:01
Originally posted by LooeyB
NOTE TO NTL. SORT IT OUT FFS you need the .com to aim you opinions at ntl: :D

Tezcatlipoca
17-07-2003, 20:10
None of my NTL email accounts are working at the moment. :(

Agh, I'd actually had a couple of weeks with no email problems, but now they're back. :mad:

LOL, I've just re-read the service status page:

Just one engineer? No wonder it's taking so long to resolve. ;)

HornetUK
17-07-2003, 20:13
Mine is down to, I take it 19.30 was wrong??

Z4pp4
17-07-2003, 21:10
What is it with NTL, you would think they would learn from their mistakes, they are being stealth / spammed mailed to death. The mail servers have been flaky for months, if not years. There is little or no filtration from what I can see. And no transparency regarding information †œbarâà ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚ those soft soap information bulletins †œQuoteâ € : †œPlease accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may causeÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â
Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s unbelievable beyond comprehension, and from what I can see the whole ethos is !

1) if it breaks fix.. it

2) But if it constantly breaks we will constantly fix it over and over and over again without solving the root problem.

...Unbelievableâââ₠¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦

Management need a good kick up the rectum.. Totally C**P

Fr4nk

Mark W
17-07-2003, 21:38
Originally posted by Undisputedtruth

As fun as the theory that ntl staff have their own personal mail server :rolleyes: might be, ive got to put my hand up and say i cant get my mail either :( :mad:

hoggyspuds
17-07-2003, 22:08
mail seems to be down here on the mainland too!!

seniorbod
20-07-2003, 00:14
Has anyone else had a problem over the past 5-6 days with e-mail. Only once have I been able to access my e-mail account. Every other time it has said "could not connect to server pop.ntlworld.com; the connection was refused". I have had to use web mail from the NTLwordl homepage to receive or send e-MAIL. I am in Paisley

th'engineer
20-07-2003, 09:02
Normal mail service from NTL intermitant as usual everyones suffering with it

BTW welcome to NTHW.co.uk

iadom
20-07-2003, 09:23
Well suprise, suprise my Ntl mail is working, but for the first time in six years my Zen email is on the blink this morning. Whats the betting that it is fixed very quickly and it will be years before it fails again.;)

Sipowicz
21-07-2003, 23:25
My Spam killer just got a good one for me; obvious spam in the inbox, click on killer to tell it that it is spam; killer than asks if I want to block future mail from ****.*****@ntlworld.com.

Guess what, it's me!!

Am I doing something wrong? Have I been "got at"?

Using XP Pro, it's own firwall and Norton Anti Virus.

(Apologies if I have posted to the wrong forum!! :spin: )

:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:

iadom
22-07-2003, 09:59
The firewall in XP is very basic and I think it only prevents incoming scans etc. You would be well advised to disable it and use full Norton security firewall or try ZoneAlarm free firewall. That will let you know if anything on your PC is trying to access the internet without your knowledge.

orangebird
22-07-2003, 12:43

:rofl: :rofl: :rolleyes:

Chris
22-07-2003, 13:29

:rolleyes:

The explanation for this was posted a while ago on nthw.com. From memory, what happens seems to be that when one mail server goes down, ntlworld addys stored on that server become inaccessible. At the same time, load on the remaining servers increases. Hence some folks can't get in at all, others can but only if they set the time-out on their email client to persist for about 5 minutes before giving up on the connection.

I think there are 6 mail servers so you have a one in six chance of losing access altogether if one of them packs in, and a rather higher chance of suffering delays of some kind. Mailboxes are distributed at random among the servers so you may be able to access some, all or none of them while there's a problem.

You can accuse ntl of many things - like using under-specced servers that clearly can't cope with the workload, for example - but I don't think discriminating between ntlworld addys owned by staff and customers is one of them.

allanprg
22-07-2003, 14:03
Bloody hell everythings not working now. No onlins status no email, great.
:shrug: :mad: :mad:

allanprg
22-07-2003, 14:06
Hold everything. It's working alright now. So far so good. Until the next time. Which will be soon. :eek: :mad: :wavey:

Chris
22-07-2003, 14:19
Originally posted by allanprg
Hold everything. It's working alright now. So far so good. Until the next time. Which will be soon. :eek: :mad: :wavey:

I have long had an additional paid-for email account from .Mac, which provides webspace, homepage design etc etc for Mac users. At first I didn't particularly use the email addy that came with it but as ntl's service has gone to hell in a handcart I found myself using it more and more and eventually I bought an additional addy for my missus (only an extra £7 per year).

We have diverted our ntl accounts to our mac.com mailboxes, and I haven't had any problems since. TBH, I don't even notice when ntlworld is 'experiencing problems' with email any more; my email client is set never to automatically check @ntlworld.com automatically so error messages are a thing of the past...

obvious
22-07-2003, 14:33
It's old ground but here I go again.

Part of ntl's core business is the provision of email. They have 7 non redundant mail servers for well over a million customers. If they were to take 10p from everyone's subscription for one month they could sort the problems out once and for all. WTF are they playing at?

Chris
22-07-2003, 14:53
Originally posted by obvious
It's old ground but here I go again.

Part of ntl's core business is the provision of email. They have 7 non redundant mail servers for well over a million customers. If they were to take 10p from everyone's subscription for one month they could sort the problems out once and for all. WTF are they playing at?

Trying to talk financial sense to them is a complete waste of time. This is the company that thought it was a good idea to buy £17 billion worth of other people's debt, remember.

allanprg
22-07-2003, 15:20
My email has gone down again. hasn't been working properly all day. :mad: :mad: :mad:

allanprg
23-07-2003, 15:19
Hooray, hooray, my email is up and running again. All working properly including the BB. Lets see how long it lasts. :wavey: ;)

Emm
28-07-2003, 13:58
I have just changed my e mail address (because I was getting so much junk mail) ,and added a second address.
I am still getting the junk in - and it is not even addressed to me!!!

I am having problems regarding my second address. I get a window up when I go into O.E. - Enter user name and password - they are already there! (This is for the second address). Then a window comes up - Outlook Express. Some errors occured etc.
And below, it says that my password has been rejected.

Can anyone help me please. This second address, is for an on line charity advice, which I do. And people can't get through to me with their problems.

iadom
28-07-2003, 19:08
E mail u/s again, no message on Ntl status page yet.

Lord Nikon
28-07-2003, 19:09
Originally posted by iadom
E mail u/s again, no message on Ntl status page yet.

Perhaps they update it via email? lol

iadom
28-07-2003, 19:21
Mine has been OK for days until now, I can't even access ntlworld.com.:(

yesman
28-07-2003, 19:27
Originally posted by iadom
E mail u/s again, no message on Ntl status page yet. Yep :(

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

homealone
28-07-2003, 19:28
message on server status page now - 19.14 28/07/03

"due to a technical fault, blah"

yesman
28-07-2003, 19:30
Originally posted by homealone
message on server status page now - 19.14 28/07/03

"due to a technical fault, blah"

OK Cheers Gaz.

I can access my pop mail via yahoo though.

Now why is that ?

Jules
28-07-2003, 20:13
Mine has been down since lunch time :(

Z4pp4
28-07-2003, 21:10
As per usual NTL mail server team let me down again, if there is one
Just surfing the southern provinces of the UK visiting friends and low and behold NTL's email has gone t*ts up yet again and guess what E_mail contact address I gave.

Yes I know †œSTUPID MEâ₠¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚

Fr4nk

peterska2
28-07-2003, 21:33
I wouldn't mind so much if it was either up or down but some times my send and recieve works and other times it doesn't

rippedoff
28-07-2003, 21:41
Isn't it about time that they (ntl) got this sorted out once and for all, and did it without the lame excuses (remember the one about making changes to how long they can keep messages, because that was what was causing the problems in email - ha ha ha!)
Remember - we pay for a contract for dial-up, which includes email - constant interruption could be seen as not fulfilling that contract --- Remember ntl: ....... contracts work both ways!

SORT IT OUT !
:mad:

chambece
29-07-2003, 12:14
Originally posted by Russ D

I know I'm joining in rather late in the day for this, But I'm having what seems to be exactly the same problem as Russ. Even though in outlook I have my usernames and passwords in, it still keeps on asking me for my password. Email then still works.

Is this the 'email problem' on the server status page, or another problem, or an effect of the problem?

chambece
29-07-2003, 12:18
Isn't it about time that they (ntl) got this sorted out once and for all, and did it without the lame excuses (remember the one about making changes to how long they can keep messages, because that was what was causing the problems in email - ha ha ha!)
Remember - we pay for a contract for dial-up, which includes email - constant interruption could be seen as not fulfilling that contract --- Remember ntl: ....... contracts work both ways!

SORT IT OUT !
:mad:

I think if I recall this correctly, a while ago on .com there was exactly this discussion, and I think they basically get around it by saying the email and webspace are 'free' - ie you don't pay for it, so no recouse when it goes wrong - cunning way of doing it really..

I might be wrong of course, but it seems like their sort of style..

andygrif
29-07-2003, 13:44
Just like I don't pay for my TV, or customer service, or decent telephone or interactive, or EPG, or competant installers or anything really.

In fact what do I pay for?

darren
03-04-2005, 16:47
I can't seem to access my main email account today, is anyone else having problems?

My other accounts seem to be working fine but I can't log in via Outlook (Express and 2003) and via web mail, it keeps complaining that my username and password are wrong. I can still login and view/edit my mail boxes on the ntlworlld website and ftp to my webspace.

Peter_Stanley
03-04-2005, 18:12
Same problem here - none of my NTL email accounts are working. Error message Invalid Username or Password with Outlook and Your username or password has not been recognised with webmail. Nothing on the status screen yet...

darren
03-04-2005, 18:44
Well, at least I'm not alone.

This is another reason to run your own email server, you don't have to rely on ntls rubbish email servers.

paulyoung666
03-04-2005, 18:46
Well, at least I'm not alone.

This is another reason to run your own email server, you don't have to rely on ntls rubbish email servers.

go for it then instead of bitching about it , while you are on , why dont you ditch ntl as they are obviously such a bad isp , vote with your feet and your wallet , the only sure way to hurt them ;)

Peter_Stanley
03-04-2005, 19:08
why dont you ditch ntl as they are obviously such a bad isp
I'm in the process of doing so, although to be fair to NTL, their email servers have been remarkably well behaved for the last 6 months or so. Their technical support however has gone way down hill since the move to India - trying to get past the rule book mentality and excuse manufacturing culture (it must be your computer/firewall/antivirus/etc) just isn't worth it.

paulyoung666
03-04-2005, 20:31
I'm in the process of doing so, although to be fair to NTL, their email servers have been remarkably well behaved for the last 6 months or so. Their technical support however has gone way down hill since the move to India - trying to get past the rule book mentality and excuse manufacturing culture (it must be your computer/firewall/antivirus/etc) just isn't worth it.

well , that is funny , i have had cause to ring them up a couple of times recently and have had no problems , to be fair i have been connected to wales and not india , maybe it has something to do with the time of day i have rang them :)

Peter_Stanley
03-04-2005, 20:45
well , that is funny , i have had cause to ring them up a couple of times recently and have had no problems

I think the reason I've had problems is because the problem is intermittent and invariably resolves itself during the call! One call the tech did see the problem and I got an engineer visit that didn't resolve the problem. Every other phone call has resulted in the tech claiming that the problem was related to spyware (despite my using both Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware to scan my pc), or blame it on my firewall/antivirus (even though I've tried a different pc with different firewall/antivirus and had the same problem).

What I can't understand is why the tech can't read back in the notes to when they saw the problem and then take my word that the problem is still there but intermittent. I had a manager convinced of this on Friday, only to be hung up on and phone back to have a tech try to start all over again.

fireblade19
04-04-2005, 09:52
Is this me or is the ntl e-mail down again? :Yikes: (4/4/2005)

This must be the world's WORST & most UNRELIABLE e-mail service there is.

Fed-Up

Mick
04-04-2005, 09:57
Hi Fireblade. :welcome:

The ntlworld e-mail service is working fine for me, no issues here.

Electrolyte01
04-04-2005, 10:09
Yup, working fine here.

orangebird
04-04-2005, 10:11
Mine too :)

Paul
04-04-2005, 11:23
Is this me or is the ntl e-mail down again? :Yikes: (4/4/2005)

This must be the world's WORST & most UNRELIABLE e-mail service there is.

Fed-UpIt appears to be you.

It's a bit daft to call a system unreliable when you don't even know if it's down. :dozey:

Sipowicz
04-04-2005, 13:28
Mine is problematical at the moment:

"Task 'pop.ntlworld.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: -ERR invalid user name or password."

Is the message that I have been getting since Saturday evening! It only appears to affect the primary account in outlook (default) and not my original ntlworld account/user name.

Peter_Stanley
04-04-2005, 16:41
Still not working for me, on any of my NTL accounts - user & password pair being rejected on both Outlook and webmail.

More seriously, incoming email is being bounced back with an error 212.250.162.8 (ntl mail server) does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 Invalid recipient: <myaddress.here@ntlworld.com>.

Phoned tech support and they stated it was a known ongoing issue, despite being shown as resolved on the status screen.

Electrolyte01
04-04-2005, 17:07
I was supposed to have got an email about 2 hours ago now. Still nothing, so I think my incoming emails are being bounched back aswell. Logs in fine though :erm:

dr wadd
04-04-2005, 17:47
Well, the e-mail seems to be back up again for me, no thanks to NTL tech support.

My e-mail came back up while I was in the process of making a call. Tech support took this as evidence, in conjunction with the innaccurate status page, that there could not have been a problem in the first place. That was after suggesting that I had been consistently mistyping either my username or password, *all day*, despite the fact that it's saved in the e-mail client.

Aggroman
05-04-2005, 15:34
My email has been down since Saturday 02/04/05, after making the appropriate choices on the support line, i got an automated message saying that they were having problems with some email accounts, they were working on the problem, sorry for the inconvenience etc. !

sandinista
05-04-2005, 17:45
Mine has just gone down about half an hour ago.:mad: Broadband medic says there aint a problem, no surprises there then!:rolleyes:

ian@huth
05-04-2005, 17:49
I have had one account that I haven't been able to log into for a few days but fortunately it is rarely used so I'll just sit back and see how long it takes to come back, if it ever does.

MetaWraith
05-04-2005, 17:56
Well one of my accounts was giving the password error on Sunday and Monday. It began working again early Monday evening. However an entirely different one of my accounts has now started giving the error message. I guess it's wait until they've finished the merry-go-round of proding and poking that's underway. Luck of the draw i guess.

dr wadd
05-04-2005, 19:04
Mine has gone down again today. Another call to tech support later, apparently my e-mail account has now been marked as inactive and could take up to 24 hours to re-activate. Assuming that they were being accurate, this doesn`t sound quite the same thing as a mail server simply being down. Given the errors that users have been experiencing I`m wondering whether other accounts are also being marked incorrectly as inactive.

MetaWraith
05-04-2005, 19:22
Mine has gone down again today. Another call to tech support later, apparently my e-mail account has now been marked as inactive and could take up to 24 hours to re-activate. Assuming that they were being accurate, this doesn`t sound quite the same thing as a mail server simply being down. Given the errors that users have been experiencing I`m wondering whether other accounts are also being marked incorrectly as inactive.

That's a big assumption.

<sarcasm mode=on>
More likely the lame "Excuse of the Day" server came up with "Your mail account was inadvertantly marked as inactive" and it's now being parroted by all and sundry.
<sarcasm mode=off>

tallusman
05-04-2005, 20:40
Does that explain my failure to get to my emails? Cleveland area. I can send but not receive????????????

thejoker37
05-04-2005, 20:59
I am getting the same error. but only on my primary email account, other 3 secondary accounts are working perfect. ( so I assume secondary accounts must be on different mail servers). I can't even login by webmail to access my emails, it just says invalid login or username.

I called the FREE fone number 0800 052 4315 to check out server outages. The recorded message says they will be carriing out work on all email storage servers between 1 am and 5 am on TUESDAY the 5th of April. It is now 20:45 on Tuesday 5th April and still no primary email service.:mad: ( maybe the techies should take less fag and coffee breaks)

Guess I will have to call that completely useless call centre in India again. Calls charged at local rates and you could be on the phone for up to 20 minutes listening to classical music just waiting for a real person to answer it.:bigcry: bring back the call centres to the UK or Scotland or Ireland at least they understand the British people.:mad:

tallusman
05-04-2005, 21:05
Yes - thats a bit of detail I forgot - it's only the primary account that's down - all the secondary ones work fine. ntlworld.com says "
Essential work on the ntlworld email storage servers between 01:00 and 05:00 on Tuesday the 5th of April will result in some customers being unable to check email for the duration of the work.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience these planned works may cause.

"

but also says it's all still ongoing as at 12:45!

thejoker37
05-04-2005, 21:07
just thinking,, with all the F@*$ing spam emails we get for Viagra surely the email server could stay up for ages. :)

tallusman
05-04-2005, 21:09
LOL - I thought I was special because I was getting all those tasty offers for "the big V"

Peter_Stanley
08-04-2005, 16:00
Guess I will have to call that completely useless call centre in India again. Calls charged at local rates and you could be on the phone for up to 20 minutes listening to classical music just waiting for a real person to answer it.:bigcry: bring back the call centres to the UK or Scotland or Ireland at least they understand the British people.:mad:

Phone the 0800 052 2000 number - one of the options (#3 I think) is Broadband Technical Support. I know what you mean about the Indian call centre though, very difficult to understand the accents of some of the people there (& I think they have problems with my poor pronunciation too!). V. unimpressed with the quality of the support too cf. the old call centres! :td:

darren
08-04-2005, 21:28
I still don't have my main email account working and its now Friday, thats a week without email, I called tech support on Tues, Wed and Thu and been told by someone in India (that I couldn't understand half the time :mad: ) that they have done 'something' and it would be fixed in 24 hours.

I can now connect to my email account and check it for email but nobody can send me anything, everything thats been sent is coming back with '550 Invalid recipient.'

Am I the only one or are other people still having problems?

Peter_Stanley
08-04-2005, 21:55
Am I the only one or are other people still having problems?
One of my ntl accounts is still bouncing emails, despite calls to tech support on Monday and Wednesday. (I can't call again as I cancelled the service today, but I would have liked a transitional period as I'm sure I've forgotten to give my new address to someone...).

Unless somebody here can help, I suggest you raise it with tech support again and lodge a complaint with Customer Services.

darren
09-04-2005, 18:29
The guy on the phone said it would be definately working in 48 hours from Thursday. No such luck, this is comletely unacceptable, it has now been 1 week since I recieved an email. What kind of compensation can I expect to recieve because of all the lost emails?

Neil
09-04-2005, 19:16
The guy on the phone said it would be definately working in 48 hours from Thursday. No such luck, this is comletely unacceptable, it has now been 1 week since I recieved an email. What kind of compensation can I expect to recieve because of all the lost emails?

None.

Ped
09-04-2005, 19:30
I have just got off the phone with the support, The suport person assured me that NTL did not have any problems currently with email and as much as I suggested that there must be a problem with there system he kept suggesting that it was outlook at fault. (I checked this before calling).

Ahhh!!!

What do I have to do to get it to work. it has been a week sence it went down.

ped

Peter_Stanley
09-04-2005, 19:43
Firstly check that you can't access your account using webmail (http://www.ntlworld.com/webmail/index.php) - you never know it might be Outlook corrupting the account/password information, this does happen!
Secondly, can you try sending yourself an email from another account (maybe hotmail or some such)? See if the mail is bounced back - this may take a little while - with a 550 Invalid Recipient message.
Then phone TS back armed with the facts and pray you get someone at the other end halfway competent...

Good luck!

paulyoung666
09-04-2005, 19:59
I have just got off the phone with the support, The suport person assured me that NTL did not have any problems currently with email and as much as I suggested that there must be a problem with there system he kept suggesting that it was outlook at fault. (I checked this before calling).

Ahhh!!!

ped

hi and :welcome: to the site , i would be surprised if it is ntl at fault as stated above , try some of the suggestions and see what happens :)

Peter_Stanley
09-04-2005, 20:07
i would be surprised if it is ntl at fault as stated above , try some of the suggestions and see what happens :)
Why would you be surprised?
I can state from personal experience that there have been ongoing issues with email since last weekend, including emails being bounced and account login problems - I was in the same position as Ped. Despite 2 calls to Tech Support the subsidiary accounts were only sorted on Wednesday and emails to my main ntl account are still being bounced.
Seems to have been a massive snafu with account records when whatever it was fell over last weekend - anyone in the know care to comment?

paulyoung666
09-04-2005, 20:10
Why would you be surprised?
I can state from personal experience that there have been ongoing issues with email since last weekend, including emails being bounced and account login problems - I was in the same position as Ped. Despite 2 calls to Tech Support the subsidiary accounts were only sorted on Wednesday and emails to my main ntl account are still being bounced.
Seems to have been a massive snafu with account records when whatever it was fell over last weekend - anyone in the know care to comment?

may i humbly apologise and :nworthy: to your obviously superior knowledge ;) , i did say i would be surprised , i didnt say it would definitely not be ntls fault ;)

Peter_Stanley
09-04-2005, 20:13
may i humbly apologise and :nworthy: to your obviously superior knowledge ;) , i did say i would be surprised , i didnt say it would definitely not be ntls fault ;)
Don't take me the wrong way - I didn't mean to be dismissive - its just recent experience has given me an (un)healthy scepticism for "no fault at our end, gov" comments. :erm:

paulyoung666
09-04-2005, 20:14
Don't take me the wrong way - I didn't mean to be dismissive - its just recent experience has given me an (un)healthy scepticism for "no fault at our end, gov" comments. :erm:

i didnt , dont worry about it :) , it seems as though they ( ntl ) have some way to go yet :erm:

Ped
09-04-2005, 20:43
Tonight was the third call to support, Monday I was told that yes there was a problem and the engineers were working on it, on Thursday I was told the the database was rebuilding and it would be fixed in 24 hours but I take your point and will double check my end, I use outlook and the settings are saved so I would dout it was my end :confused:

Thank Peter_Stanley, I tried sending a message from a different account and got a 550 error, I will call again Monday AM.

I assume that this therefore must mean the problem is there end

Ped

Peter_Stanley
09-04-2005, 21:10
I assume that this therefore must mean the problem is there end
Yes. If mail is being bounced it can only be their system (unless you forgot/mis-typed your email address! :p: ).
Just make sure they are aware of & sort out both the login problem and the mail rejection problem.
I believe tech support is open all weekend so there's no need to wait until Monday (unless you want to).

Semi On
12-04-2005, 09:41
Anyone elses email still down?

I last received an email on April 2nd. I know the service status page said they were doing "planned maintenance", but that supposedly started on the 4th and ended yesterday.

Bob
12-04-2005, 09:46
And anyone who is trying or about to ring, please read this:

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/ServiceDetails.aspx?FaultID=314

Neil
12-04-2005, 12:39
And anyone who is trying or about to ring, please read this:

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/ServiceDetails.aspx?FaultID=314

There's an "ongoing" fault listed on the Status Page that was posted Dec 2004 :Yikes:

Broadband customers in the following areas may currently be experiencing a degraded service such as slow browsing or intermittent access to email. In some cases service may also be lost completely.

Our engineers are working to resolve the issues as soon as possible.

Areas affected: Bishop Stortford, Brighton, Leicester, Harrogate, Poole.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused

That is just disgraceful IMO. :nono:

Bob
12-04-2005, 16:27
I know - at least the Southampton one was cleared up. They had been having problems since July ;)

darren
14-04-2005, 19:10
My main account is now working after 4 phone calls I we* managed to speak to someone in this country who said the email address was stuck in create fail?, and he would escalate it, I then got a phone call the next morning and was told that it was sorted, they had removed and recreated the account and everything works fine now.

Why it took 4 phone calls and two of us to get this done I don't know. It was such a simple thing to fix.

*two of us were talking to them at the same time because my old stb account is apparently in my parents name, even though the bills had my name on them since I moved it to my name up until I moved to a far more reliable cable modem and Sky+ box.

andyl
18-04-2005, 10:40
Anyone having probs in the Bury area today? I'm getting messages rejected by the server. Again.

Maggy
18-04-2005, 12:12
I'm getting email probs with one certain site not sending me email notifications or any other mail for 3 days now(no not this site) via my ntl addy.However I'm STILL getting spammed in that addy.

Since I switched my addy to my gmail one though I'm getting the notifications again from that site.

If that site had blocked ntl then surely I wouldn't be able to visit the site at all?Why would they just block my email?and I have not changed or altered my preferences at the site either.. :confused: