PDA

View Full Version : Setting up STB BB without the CD

McGraw
20-04-2004, 16:09
Hi. I've done a search to no avail so here goes.

What is the difference between setting up BB on STB as opposed to CM as per the sticky?

I've got NTL on CM. My friend has just had it installed through STB. He has an ethernet card and cable. He can't get it to work.

My thoughts:

1. Do STBs even have MAC addresses?
2. Is it possible the ethernet cable needs to be crossover but the engineer hasn't left crossover?

Thanks in advance.

Pritch
20-04-2004, 16:17
To find out if you need a crossover cable, look at the back of the STB. It will say above the ethernet socket if it requires a crossover.

McGraw
20-04-2004, 16:19
Sorry, I've put this in the wrong forum.

How do I tell if the cable itself is crossover if that's the case?

Neil
20-04-2004, 16:20
It should say on the back of the STB whether it's crossover or straight through.

More info here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg

:welcome: to the site btw. :)

McGraw
20-04-2004, 16:31
Cheers guys.

MovedGoalPosts
20-04-2004, 16:45
The "kit" ntl issue should include all the bits needed for whatever variant of STB you might have. Generally it will include a nice long ethernet cable. An USB adaptor for one end of the long ethernet (if you insist on using a USB connectiion), and another short crossover cable adaptor for the STB end of the ethernet, if that is required.

chickendippers
20-04-2004, 18:31
We signed up with ntl BB and didn't get sent a kit (I think we jumped the gun and signed up before they were ready). What we did was buy a crossover ethernet cable and an ethernet card which we then all plugged together, and after hours on the phone to a tech we got to work (thank you Win98).

When we got a new comp with XP, all we did was plug it in, set everything to auto and it worked :)

However, to throw a spanner in the works, our STB broke and it was replaced with a newer one which requires a crossover adaptor.

Tech_Boy
22-04-2004, 11:28
If you have a network card, just plug everything in between the stb & pc, boot the stb, wait for the 2 lights to lock, then boot the pc, check your Ip (win 98 & Me, click start, then run & type winipcfg, make sure that your nic is displayed not the ppp adaptor. 2k & xp start, rin, type in cmd, click ok, then type ipconfig & hit enter) you should have an ip starting 10.

if you do, open up Ie, you may need to run the Ie wizard, but if you are lucky you should just have to type into the address bar, start.ntl and then click go, or try the ip addresses 172.16.30.35 if that one does not work swap the 35 for 83 or 84, then just enter your 10 digit pid no & password and off you go add the pc & go through the rest of reg;)