PDA

View Full Version : 2 IP lease's is it possible?

slimshady
19-04-2004, 16:44
I was wondering - if you signed up for the Xbox or PS2 / Games console service, would the Ambit modem allow you to have two IP address leases via the Ethernet Interface, so you could connect a hub and two pc's directly to the cable modem - I think its possible but I wondered if anyone knew or had tried it?

quadplay
19-04-2004, 16:54
Yes :)

td444
19-04-2004, 17:18
Alternatively, you could buy a cheap broadband router for £22 which has an integrated switch and waive goodbye to an additional fee. Presuming you dont need the extra IP.

Chrysalis
19-04-2004, 18:57
this is similiar query to a post I made, if it is possible then I will gladly pay and make use of the static ip :D

Paul
19-04-2004, 19:49
this is similiar query to a post I made, if it is possible then I will gladly pay and make use of the static ip :D

Neither IP is static - it's just another DHCP assigned address.

slimshady
20-04-2004, 10:34
Cheers All,

Its just i'm sharing a house with a mate next year and we both like to run external facing servers on Linux box's and things - just for testing basically. We have NAT running already to cope with our Windows PC's, and any other machines.

I'm not worried about the dynamic/static aspect just that I can use two public IP address, you can use no-ip to cope with that problem.

Thanks again

Slim.

Chrysalis
20-04-2004, 17:16
according to ntl the 2nd ip for xbox service is static, I am trying to find the source page for the info now.

quadplay
20-04-2004, 17:52
This is incorrect - both IPs are leased dynamically.

Tezcatlipoca
20-04-2004, 18:38
according to ntl the 2nd ip for xbox service is static, I am trying to find the source page for the info now.

http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/games/xboxlive/faq.html

Xbox Compatible Broadband services are designed for Xbox Live.......plus an additional IP address.

There's no mention of it being static, whatsoever.

It's just another dynamically assigned IP - as several people (including some who work for NTL) have already said in this thread & this thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=196800).

Chrysalis
20-04-2004, 21:04
that wasnt the page I got it from, it doesnt say dynamic or static, the page I got it from was a page owned by ntl and it specifically stated that the xbox service has a static ip as extra to the normal dynamic ip, but I lost the link now :(

If the ntl staff are saying it then i guess its true its dynamic, but I am hunting down the page so the misinformation can be corrected.

Neil
20-04-2004, 22:51
that wasnt the page I got it from, it doesnt say dynamic or static, the page I got it from was a page owned by ntl and it specifically stated that the xbox service has a static ip as extra to the normal dynamic ip, but I lost the link now :(

If the ntl staff are saying it then i guess its true its dynamic, but I am hunting down the page so the misinformation can be corrected.

We won't hold our breath.....;)

slimshady
21-04-2004, 09:18

Theres no way they would do static, it would be a nightmare as when they do a resegmentation you would loose it, they have enough problems doing the static (sorry fixed dynamic) service for business.

Well lets hope ntl have corrected their mis-information :)

BBKing
22-04-2004, 12:44
Theres no way they would do static, it would be a nightmare as when they do a resegmentation you would loose it, they have enough problems doing the static (sorry fixed dynamic) service for business.

Not that hard. Use PPPoE.

OK, there are large implementation costs but the technology is there. ADSL does it (PPPoA in that case, but fundamentally the same idea).

slimshady
22-04-2004, 16:29
Not that hard. Use PPPoE.

OK, there are large implementation costs but the technology is there. ADSL does it (PPPoA in that case, but fundamentally the same idea).

Suppose so....
...thought they implemented PPPoE for the AOL wholesale product....
...so why dont the use it on the business product?

BBKing
22-04-2004, 18:56
I have absolutely no idea. I've mentioned it to people as a good idea though, but have no involvment. Makes a lot of sense, and for all I know may be happening.

Zhadnost
11-09-2004, 18:03
How is the speed worked out for the second IP address?

Is it correct to assume the limit for the 2 IPs is the same as it would be with only 1 IP address (handled by a packet scheduler in the cable modem).

quadplay
11-09-2004, 18:16
:welcome:

You are correct in that assumption - the Console service has the same downstream and upstream rates as the standard packages, and the available bandwidth is shared between the two connections.