PDA

View Full Version : Req: AEI USB to Ethernet Adaptor Drivers for Mac?!

benjicaspi
18-04-2004, 12:56
Dear everyone,
I came across this forum yesterday while searching for AEI drivers for Mac (NTL do say they support Macs, but the manual suggests that they didn't intend for the AEI USB to Ethernet Adaptor they provide to be used, as Macs do have an inbuilt ethernet port). The thing is, I would like to give my girlfriend the adaptor as a temporary measure, as her ethernet port is broken. Any suggestions? I have trowled the net, to no avail. Am I screwed or not?
Thanks guys (and gals...)
Ben
PS I have the AEI drivers that came with the NTL CD (don't worry guys, didn't use the NTL CD to install my broadband...), does anyone know if they would work? My girlfriend's running Panther, if that makes any difference, and she's got a G3 iBook 800MHZ. Sweet little machine, if it weren't for compatibility issues...Also, would anyone happen to know if the AEI drivers work on Win 9x/ME or just on XP? Haven't tried them on anything else, I suppose they'd work on anything over 98SE (with support for USB)? Ta!

David25
18-04-2004, 13:00
The drivers on the CD are not compatible with any Mac OS. AFAIK there are no Mac drivers for the adaptor.

rdhw
18-04-2004, 15:22
There are no Mac drivers for these devices.

wheeliebin
18-04-2004, 16:21
Dear everyone,
I came across this forum yesterday while searching for AEI drivers for Mac (NTL do say they support Macs, but the manual suggests that they didn't intend for the AEI USB to Ethernet Adaptor they provide to be used, as Macs do have an inbuilt ethernet port). The thing is, I would like to give my girlfriend the adaptor as a temporary measure, as her ethernet port is broken. Any suggestions? I have trowled the net, to no avail. Am I screwed or not?
Thanks guys (and gals...)
Ben
PS I have the AEI drivers that came with the NTL CD (don't worry guys, didn't use the NTL CD to install my broadband...), does anyone know if they would work? My girlfriend's running Panther, if that makes any difference, and she's got a G3 iBook 800MHZ. Sweet little machine, if it weren't for compatibility issues...Also, would anyone happen to know if the AEI drivers work on Win 9x/ME or just on XP? Haven't tried them on anything else, I suppose they'd work on anything over 98SE (with support for USB)? Ta!

The AEI drivers do work on all current Windows OS's
The SMC USB adaptewr works with OSX on mac, the mac has the drivers for it apparently. My mate has installed a few mac's using this adapter.

If you PM me your details i will post you an SMC adapter if you can hang on

Matth
19-04-2004, 00:01
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293&goto=nextoldest
Just spotted it! - The AEI uses an ADMTEK 8511 chip

Downloads
http://www.admtek.com.tw/index/index/Download.htm#ADM8511

OS9, OS10.1 and OS 10.2 - near the end of the section - try those with the AEI adapter on a MAC.

If I remember, the AEI is translucent crystal blue - and looks like it belongs to a MAC, while the SMC is smaller and opaque blue.

benjicaspi
20-04-2004, 12:37
Thank you very much for the links, much appreciated! :D

Chris
20-04-2004, 12:46
I've heard nothing but grumbling when it comes to trying to connect any version of Mac OSX to broadband via USB. Don't be surprised if your set-up is flakey even if you do get all the correct drivers. If I were you, I'd get that lovely iBook off for a repair as quickly as possible.

:notopic: but can I ask, was there a noticeable change in the iBook's performance when you upgraded it from 10.2 to 10.3?

benjicaspi
20-04-2004, 13:31
It's my girlfriend's machine, I have no idea mate...BTW, the AMDtek 8511 driver's website is down, I suspect permanently since I saw posts online from last year...Damn, she needs her machine with her and it might take ages to fix :( Her machine recognises the SMC adaptor that wheeliebin kindly sent her, but the light won't come on, I suspect it's something to do with the network settings - I've never owned a Mac and she's not particularly knowledgeable in the network area...
D'oh! Thanks everyone for your help, hope we can get it to work soon, otherwise looks like it'll have to go to the Mac repair centre.
Ben

benjicaspi
23-04-2004, 16:58
Hey guys,
Just my luck - after ordering a wireless access point (which arrived yesterday and works BTW), I find that the ADMtek website is now working again! I'll try the AEI adaptor next week with Mac drivers, will let you know how it went...
Cheers people!
PS - not going to hold my breath - says on the website that using those drivers the adaptor still didn't work, might have to stick to the wireless access point after all! BTW, for anyone wondering I got a Netgear WG602, worked straight out of the box with factory default settings once AirPort card was enabled!
Ben

benjicaspi
28-04-2004, 10:53
Correction - access point DID work, until the computer was rebooted - contacted Netgear, said we need a router rather than an access point :( Decided not to bother with it, my gf finishes uni in 3 weeks anyway, gonna try the AEI USB adaptor in her Mac, if that doesn't work then tough.

:erm:

benjicaspi
16-05-2004, 16:21
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293&goto=nextoldest
Just spotted it! - The AEI uses an ADMTEK 8511 chip

Downloads
http://www.admtek.com.tw/index/index/Download.htm#ADM8511

OS9, OS10.1 and OS 10.2 - near the end of the section - try those with the AEI adapter on a MAC.

If I remember, the AEI is translucent crystal blue - and looks like it belongs to a MAC, while the SMC is smaller and opaque blue.
Thanks again everyone for your help - I did try the AEI drivers on the Mac, it installed alright, but then when I plugged the adaptor it still didn't work :(
No worries, my girlfriend has finished uni and will get her laptop fixed soon.
All the best everyone,
Ben

macuser_e7
18-05-2004, 21:49
but can I ask, was there a noticeable change in the iBook's performance when you upgraded it from 10.2 to 10.3?

I also have an iBook G3 800 and it runs fine with Panther, even with the basic 128 meg of RAM in it. You do get quite a lot of spinning beachball though if you try and do too many things at once, so it's worth investing in some more RAM.

Chris
19-05-2004, 10:56
I also have an iBook G3 800 and it runs fine with Panther, even with the basic 128 meg of RAM in it. You do get quite a lot of spinning beachball though if you try and do too many things at once, so it's worth investing in some more RAM.
I'm up to 640mb in my iMac, but it's a dear old G3 450. I really don't know what to do for the best - I am told that Panther is faster, but years of using Windoze at work (and at home, I had a PC before I saw the light) has conditioned me to be cautious about putting a new OS on an old machine.

My problems are multiplying: iMovie has begun to drop frames; not often, but even one dropped frame in an hour-long wedding video is irritating. iPhoto is sloooowww, and although the speed problem has been addressed, it is only fixed in the lastest release of iLife, which requires OSX.3 . My 20gb HDD is getting very full, so that editing more than about 5 minutes of video involves shunting up to 5gb of files onto my iPod first to free up space. And I have about 1,500 family photos on the HDD too, and no CD writing capability (the 'five flavors' iMac DV+ shipped with a DVD-ROM drive).

If I'm going to spend money on my system, I need:

OS upgrade to 10.3
iLife 2004
At least a CD writer, perferably a DVD writer
An external HDD
= lots of money.

It might be time to buy a whole new system. You appear to get a lot for your £700 with an eMac ... I'm tempted. However I'd also rather wait until I have a little more money to spend. We're moving home long-distance this year, :) which won't be cheap ... :(

macuser_e7
19-05-2004, 19:27
For the money you'd spend on software and peripherals you'd do better to buy a new machine, IMHO.

Besides which, an external DVD writer is pointless if you are planning to use iDVD because that only works with internal Apple superdrives. And GarageBand won't run on anything less than a 600MHz G3 (and then only just!).

The new eMacs start at £549 inc. VAT and have everything you need, bar the DVD writer. The model with the Superdrive has an 80 gig HD (double the base model's capacity) and costs £699.

If you are thinking about doing this you might want to look at the back cover of the July issue of Macworld magazine. PC World are offering a free HP all-in-one printer/scanner/copier jobbie with the new eMac (though I think only on the base model) if you pitch up at the store with a copy of the ad in your hands. Worth taking a look.