PDA

View Full Version : Recording from Freeview

hansi
17-04-2004, 07:17
Hope someone can help with this as VCR's and me don't mix! I have a Freeview box and at present my VCR has ben set up to record from the terrestrial channels. In laymans language can someone explain simply and in easy steps to me how I can set the VCR to record from the Freeview digital channels. I've looked in the manual and it mentions tuning the VCR to the Freeview box. The last time I tried to tune a VCR, I totally cocked up and finished up calling someone in to do it for me. Help!

deadite66
17-04-2004, 07:23
if you can connect the freeview and vcr via a scart connector you should be able to select something like A1 or A2 depending on what your vcr calls it's scart ports.

hansi
17-04-2004, 07:34
I have 2 scart sockets on the VCR L1 and L2. Are you saying I should transfer the scart from L1 to L2?

deadite66
17-04-2004, 07:41
if you have freeview connected to L1 on the vcr then you should be able to record freeview by setting the vcr to L1 and pressing record

Matth
17-04-2004, 15:20
The two SCARTs on the VCR vary - the configuration our one has, I believe, is that AU2 is input only (for satellite/cable/freeview box) and AU1 is the output to the TV (and it can also serve as the input).

Always use SCART if you can, the quality is normally better than than the RF connection, and most things can only transfer stereo via the SCART.

hansi
17-04-2004, 17:54
but there's only one scart socket on the Freeview box which goes to the TV, so do i connect another one to the VCR, like I said, I'm a dummy when it comes to VCR's and suchlike :confused: :confused: :confused:

Xaccers
17-04-2004, 17:57
Freeview to VCR via scart lead
VCR to TV via another scart lead

Set VCR to use L1/AV or what ever your VCR calls the scart input from the Freeview and hit record.

hansi
17-04-2004, 18:07
do I still have to tune the VCR to the Freeview channels and if so, how?

Tezcatlipoca
17-04-2004, 18:09
You can't tune the VCR to the Freeview channels - the VCR will simply record whichever Freeview channel is selected on your Freeview box.

hansi
17-04-2004, 18:19
Thanks mate, but can I do things like timer recordings and multi channel recordings like you can do with terrestrial channels, sorry to soubf so dumb about this,Im feeling a bit embarrassed for being so thick :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Tezcatlipoca
17-04-2004, 18:28
Thanks mate, but can I do things like timer recordings and multi channel recordings like you can do with terrestrial channels, sorry to soubf so dumb about this,Im feeling a bit embarrassed for being so thick :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

LOL, don't be so hard on yourself.

When setting a timer recording, you should be able to tell the VCR to tape from the SCART socket that the Freeview box is plugged into.

But you'll need to make sure that the Freeview box is left on the particular channel you want the VCR timer to record.

Or, you also can set the timer on the Freeview box (assuming it has one) as well as on the VCR, so that when it hits time to record, the Freeview box will change to the channel you want. This will let you set timer programmes for different Freeview channels.

Matth
17-04-2004, 23:23
If the TV has 2 SCART sockets, then you'll need a SCART splitter to make the same box/video/TV triangle as used with NTL boxes

eg. box to TV, Box to video (you'll use the splitter), plus TV to video - on TV's with two SCART's one is normally the auto-select and would be used for the video, so that it takes over when playing.

http://www.greenweld.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_Leads_253.html - SCART splitter here, but with 5, or 3 switched, more than is needed.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040417232007197&moduleno=4704
This 2-way would be more appropriate

hansi
18-04-2004, 10:16
Thanks for all your help guys, I tried doing what you said, but I couldn't get the Freeview box to display properly, let alone set the video, luckily I had managed to label all the Scart leads so I put them back as they were, I thibk I'll call in my local tv dealer man to set it up for me, I know it'll cost me, but at least it will be done. Again, thanks for all your help

russellelly
18-04-2004, 13:02
If your Freeview box has an RF Modulator (if you post the model number I'll know) then an aerial lead to the VCR will be fine and then you can tune your Freeview box's signal to Channel 6 on the VCR.

hansi
18-04-2004, 13:42
Model is DS608P. Can you tell me also how to tune the VCR to the Freeview box? Thanks you