PDA

View Full Version : Netscape is no more

ignite
16-07-2003, 17:42
Hi,

If you haven't been following the news, AOL has shut down the Netscape development team. They have donated $2 million to the Mozilla Foundation to continue the development of Mozilla, but there will be no more Netscape Browser releases.

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1026078.html?tag=fd_top

Andy

matty4donna
16-07-2003, 17:47
yes, been known for some time now tbh! ;)

Xaccers
16-07-2003, 18:04
Nutscrape went down hill after 2.02 imho

Defiant
16-07-2003, 18:06
Well that dont really need it with Mozzila their. Hey they could even rename Mozzila Netscape now

basa
17-07-2003, 08:47
Originally posted by Defiant
Well that dont really need it with Mozzila their. Hey they could even rename Mozzila Netscape now

Mozilla can rename all they want...still won't save it as a viable alternative to IE unfortunately. They seem to have no real direction at the moment.

Who knows maybe now Mac have decided to go with the Safari, that might be the next big boy on the browser block ??

fraz
17-07-2003, 09:02
Originally posted by basa
Mozilla can rename all they want...still won't save it as a viable alternative to IE unfortunately. They seem to have no real direction at the moment.

Who knows maybe now Mac have decided to go with the Safari, that might be the next big boy on the browser block ??

hmmm lets see, tabbed browsing, popup killers, improved password storage. Nope doesn't sound like a viable alternative at all :D

(and thats before considering the mail and IRC clients)

TigaSefi
17-07-2003, 09:22
I don't like Mozilla I use it in Linux and it just not the same as IE. and the way it loads up the pages and gfx is plain weird. I think it because the design of the GUI is too raw.... lol

basa
17-07-2003, 09:46
Originally posted by fraz
hmmm lets see, tabbed browsing, popup killers, improved password storage. Nope doesn't sound like a viable alternative at all :D

(and thats before considering the mail and IRC clients)

Hi fraz :wavey:

I didn't say Firebird (or whatever it's called today ! ;) ) wasn't an excellent browser, it probably is.

Unfortunately not only will the majority of the mass market never get to hear about it, most of us wouldn't want to get to grips with configuring it to work properly. At the moment IMO it is a 'geek' browser (much worse than Opera which I use which at least works virtually 'out of the box' :D ). Not only that the marketing stinks !! Take a look at their website and tell me it isn't confusing ?? :confused:

rockabillybass
17-07-2003, 23:13

Unfortunately not only will the majority of the mass market never get to hear about it, most of us wouldn't want to get to grips with configuring it to work properly.

I've downloaded it for Windows, Linux, HP-UX and Irix. Installation is very easy. There is no configuring you need to do. If you need a plugin, it finds one on the net and installs it.

It is a far superior product to IE.

Martin

Chris
17-07-2003, 23:19
<snip>Who knows maybe now Mac have decided to go with the Safari, that might be the next big boy on the browser block ??

You impoverised PC users had better hope they are ... web pages consistently load in my copy of Safari in half the time they take on IE.

And it has pop-up killer, tabbed browsing, etc etc

Now it's no longer a Beta I may remove IE altogether on principle and have an (almost) entirely M$-free computer.... :D

basa
18-07-2003, 08:49
Originally posted by towny
You impoverised PC users had better hope they are ... web pages consistently load in my copy of Safari in half the time they take on IE.

So do a great many other 'alternative', 'non IE skinned' browsers, Firebird (Mozilla), Konquerer, Opera, etc, but certainly if Apple / KDE decide to go for the PC market they could be in with a winner. Unfortunately I very much doubt they will.

And it has pop-up killer, tabbed browsing, etc etc

Likewise as above.

Now it's no longer a Beta I may remove IE altogether on principle and have an (almost) entirely M$-free computer.... :D

That seems like an excellent idea !! :D Although removing IE is tricky if not impossible since it is so interweaved into the Windows OS and Windows Update wouldn't work with another browser anyway (assuming you use Windows OS ??).

I'm using OpenOffice instead of MS Office, Opera / M2 (obviously) instead of IE / OE. Now all I need is the nerve to go Linux Mandrake (for starters) !!! :eek:

Chris
18-07-2003, 09:15
That seems like an excellent idea !! :D Although removing IE is tricky if not impossible since it is so interweaved into the Windows OS and Windows Update wouldn't work with another browser anyway (assuming you use Windows OS ??)

Nope, I'm using Mac OSX 10.2.6 and the only traces of M$ anywhere on it are IE5.2/Mac and MSN Messenger 6/Mac. I very rarely use either.