PDA

View Full Version : "You are not in an NTL cabled area"

Richard M
16-04-2004, 09:54
I need some help from anyone who works in NTL here.
Basically, I'm moving tomorrow to a brand new flat in Cardiff Bay and when I viewed it, the whole place was already connected to NTL.
I phoned NTL yesterday about this and they couldn't find the address in the database but I think the postcode may have been wrong so I double checked it with the Royal Mail and phoned back just now.
The woman on the other end (in Glasgow I think?) couldn't find it either.
She said that even if it was brand new, it would still be in the database so I am not in an NTL cabled area - even though there is the connection in the living room!
Can anyone help here?
The address is:

xx Hartland House
Ferry Court
CARDIFF
CF11 0JE

If you need the house number then PM me. :)
I'm not looking forward to the extra expense of paying for a BT line + Pipex because I only wanted a SACM without phone or TV...

Stuart
16-04-2004, 12:13
Actually, it doesn't help much, but my boss was in the same position, except he was told by NTL his address doesn't exist. He just kept on phoning, and eventually got a CSR who agreed to book an install for him.

Good luck.

Richard M
16-04-2004, 12:21
I hope it can be sorted out, BT can only guarantee a 256K ADSL connection to me (well the postcode for next door). :disturbd:

EDIT: Just got the bad news...NTL cannot install. :(
The reason for this is:

ntl and the developer could not come to an agreement when it was being built and we won't be able to 'go in' until the local council take over ownership/maintenance of the roads and pavements.

Stuart
16-04-2004, 12:53

Ouch. Sorry to hear that..

ian@huth
16-04-2004, 15:13
The reason for this is:ntl and the developer could not come to an agreement when it was being built and we won't be able to 'go in' until the local council take over ownership/maintenance of the roads and pavements.

I had a similar experience when I moved into this house which was on a new development. What I am told had happened was that the builder had come to an agreement with NTL to lay ducting to each new property and what NTL would pay them for doing this. When the first phase was completed the builder sent the invoice to NTL for payment and waited and waited and waited. The builder refused to supply ducting to any further houses until NTL coughed up which took a couple of years.

I was going to get everything from NTL but when I checked with them and found that it would be a year or two before they could supply services to me I went for Sky and BT. When eventually NTL did become available I took their £9.99 base pack DTV, telephone and dial-up internet. That pack would now cost £30 or so now which is quite an increase in 3 years. Having both Sky and NTL DTV at the same time (I had not had Sky for 12 months when NTL was installed) enabled me to compare the two and was surprised at how much better and more stable Sky was, despite many NTL engineer visits and box swaps.

Richard M
16-04-2004, 18:22
OK, I'm going for a BT line and have booked the install for the 28th of this month.
I also signed up for 512K ADSL from BTOpenwoe for now.
The sales girl was excellent thoughout the call and never missed a thing, even stating that the "basic broadband", which she offered to me at first, was capped to 1GB and had port restrictions.
Fair play, I wonder if NTL do the same?
Thought not...

Thanks again to the NTL guy who helped me out by the way, you're a star. :)