PDA

View Full Version : 600K Upgrade

John S
15-04-2004, 23:14
I started Broadband with the 600K offer nearly 2 years ago but was so disapointed with the speed I downgraded to 128K.
A month ago I was offered 600K again and accepted.
Now the service is slower than it was with 150K. It seems obvious that Ive been put on an oversubscribed router.
Now Im back to dumping NTL mode why didnt they leave me alone.

John S.

Chris W
15-04-2004, 23:17
:welcome: to the forums!

If you have a stand alone modem, i canl check if you are on an oversubscribed router if you can pm me the mac address of your modem with your postcode and the first line of you address.

I am sure one of the mods/admins will verify that i work in technical support ;)

When you say it is 'obvious' that you are on an oversubscribed router what has led you to this conclusion? have you spoken to technical support?

Paul
15-04-2004, 23:19
You don't move UBR when you upgrade - it's just a change of config on your CM - have you checked you pc for spyware etc that may be sucking up your bandwidth ?

Edit: and I can confirm that monkeybreath works for NTL TS. :)

John S
16-04-2004, 11:11
Mycomputer just locked up, I had to restore my settings to yesterday.

Why, because I went online opened up a local website got in no probs.
Tried to answer a message it started slowing down, gave up.
Tried another forum it slowed down even more and locked up.
I suppopse that the servers used at the other end can be blamed but not all of them.
About a month age NTL said that the Email servers would shut down overnight to "Improve the Service". Did it, not likely it got a whole lot worse.
Alkl they seem to do is increase the bandwidth to take on more customers put customers such as myself on another router without notifiocation leaving lots of free space for the latest advertising spree.

John S.

rdhw
16-04-2004, 11:37
I went online opened up a local website got in no probs.
I suppopse that the servers used at the other end can be blamed but not all of them.Have you eliminated the possibility that these problems might be caused by something wrong in your PC? Spyware? Virus? Trojan? P2P file-sharing hogging your cable connection?

MikeyB
16-04-2004, 12:58
Mycomputer just locked up, I had to restore my settings to yesterday.

Why, because I went online opened up a local website got in no probs.

That does indeed sound like Virus/Spy Ware as rdhw said.
Get yourself Ad-aware and let it tun thru
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Also, what OS & browser are you using? Have you checked for any updates.

James79
16-04-2004, 18:12
John, if you have a stand-alone Cable Modem, how is it connected to your computer? What I mean is, have you connected it through the USB or via a Ethernet Card?

When I first got BB access just over two years ago, I used the USB option - What a mistake!! With the use of another site (which has now been closed down!!), I was able to find out about ethernet cards - and the fact that they were much quicker than USB.

Just a thought from past experience!!

James

paulyoung666
16-04-2004, 18:20
John, if you have a stand-alone Cable Modem, how is it connected to your computer? What I mean is, have you connected it through the USB or via a Ethernet Card?

When I first got BB access just over two years ago, I used the USB option - What a mistake!! With the use of another site (which has now been closed down!!), I was able to find out about ethernet cards - and the fact that they were much quicker than USB.

Just a thought from past experience!!

James

always a good move i reckon , i am not so sure it is pertinent here but ......... good advice anyway :tu:

John S
16-04-2004, 19:02
Thanks for all the replies trying to help.
First I ran adaware and yes there is an improvement but not much.
Second I fitted an Ethernet card a year ago with (no change in speed)when the overloaded Cwmbwrla router threads were rampant.
I already have Norton firewall running which I know slows my system down but now the virus spreaders have switched their attention to Windows ME from XP I had no alternative.
I dont want to sound controversial but it seems that some users want to stop the 1GB cap which I dont think Ive ever exceeded so I feel Im entitled to complain when the service slows down to a crawl.

John.

threadbare
16-04-2004, 19:25
I dont want to sound controversial but it seems that some users want to stop the 1GB cap which I dont think Ive ever exceeded so I feel Im entitled to complain when the service slows down to a crawl.

John.we still haven't established whether this is a service issue or a pc issue. If you were on an oversubbed ubr your speed would not be any worse that when you were on 150K. As Pem pointed out your ubr remains the same so the bandwidth available also remains the same.

Chris W
16-04-2004, 19:59
Thanks for all the replies trying to help.
First I ran adaware and yes there is an improvement but not much.
Second I fitted an Ethernet card a year ago with (no change in speed)when the overloaded Cwmbwrla router threads were rampant.
I already have Norton firewall running which I know slows my system down but now the virus spreaders have switched their attention to Windows ME from XP I had no alternative.

John.

my offer still stands for me to check the subscription on your ubr, then we can have some evidence about what the problem is, rather than speculating!

chris

John S
16-04-2004, 20:43
I can assure you that the service is most certainly not up to 4 times faster which is what NTL advertise.
Can you tell me about the status of the Cwmbwrla router.
I did some tests which varied from 520k to 620k when the connection seemed to be reliable but overall it seemed little faster than 150k and never froze. So if that continues to be my experience then I shall downgrade.
Speed tests to my mind are unrealistic and do not reflect real surfing speeds, NTL reccommend one and not another.
There was no problem before I upgraded now Email is half the speed it was last month, where is the test for that. What is the speed when the system slows down freezes and ends the test.
As I said I have no problem logging on but sometimes things slow down to a crawl so I will do a a series of tests at different times of day for the next few days.

John.

Chris W
16-04-2004, 20:53

there are different channels on your router, and without specific information about which you are using, i will not be able to give you any useful info about the UBR.

if you pm me your mac address of your modem i can check it for you because i am at work at the moment, otherwise there is not much i can tell you i'm afraid!

chris

paulyoung666
16-04-2004, 21:09
I can assure you that the service is most certainly not up to 4 times faster which is what NTL advertise.
I did some tests which varied from 520k to 620k when the connection seemed to be reliable but overall it seemed little faster than 150k and never froze. So if that continues to be my experience then I shall downgrade.
Speed tests to my mind are unrealistic and do not reflect real surfing speeds, NTL reccommend one and not another.
There was no problem before I upgraded now Email is half the speed it was last month, where is the test for that. What is the speed when the system slows down freezes and ends the test.
As I said I have no problem logging on but sometimes things slow down to a crawl so I will do a a series of tests at different times of day for the next few days.

John.

but then i can assure you that i get a solid 70k/s dl speed which is more than 4 times faster ;)

John S
16-04-2004, 21:45

John S
16-04-2004, 21:55
Hi,
When asking about the Cwmbwrla router which I was on I didnt give my connector?USB address as asked so here it is.
My USB address USB CM 351000
My Ethernet Adapter address 00-D0-59-F4-D3-A9

I am currently using USB not the Ethernet card as I changed back last year.

John.

John S
16-04-2004, 22:03
Hi Paul,
Thanks for that which means that your connection is up to 20% faster than mine and seems reliable as well.

Joihn.

threadbare
16-04-2004, 22:20

John.
where do ntl advertise 4 times the speed? according to their adverts 150K bb is nearly 3x faster than standard dial-up Internet not 4...???

600K being 10 times faster blah blah blah

upgrading your speed is not going to cause your speed to decrease - an certainly wont suddenly overload the ubr. if there is an oversubscription issue then you would have had problems on 150k too.

any news monkeybreath?

John S
16-04-2004, 22:35
I upgraded from 150k to 600k.
The Cwmbwrla router has had all sorts of problems oversubscription etc and I am waiting to see if it has changed.

John.

maverick
16-04-2004, 23:39
there are no over subscription problems with cwmbwrla at present,there may have been about 6 months ago but no probs there now.

Chris W
16-04-2004, 23:51
any news monkeybreath?

John S didn't post his mac address until i finished work, so i will have a look at it in work tomorrow and then update you all then.

Chris

XFS03
17-04-2004, 10:52
...I am currently using USB not the Ethernet card as I changed back last year.

John.Why did you change back to USB from Ethernet?
Have you tried your Ethernet connection again recently to see if you get any improvement over USB?

Had you ever run any kind of internet optimizer program before you upgraded to 600k? If so, it could have changed some settings on your pc (such as RWIN) which may be throttling your 600k speed.

It may be worth going here & checking your settings with tweak tester II:-
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

It will tell you if your RWIN is set correctly for your particular connection speed.