PDA

View Full Version : crime DOES pay

bopdude
21-06-2003, 07:19
Who said that crime could never pay, check here (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030621/80/e2wub.html) to see just how well murder can pay and where it can get you..........

And no I am not a racist and yes I did take part in the first S.A. democratic elections, who did I vote for....... my choice, my vote

Morpheus
22-06-2003, 11:41
of course it pays, look at the little to55er who robbed Tony martin, he is now suing for injuries he got while doing the said deed...all the rubbish that B'liar gave us "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" he is always good for a laugh..

Stuart W
22-06-2003, 12:06
Car insurance....

Far too many people just don't bother with insurance as it works out cheaper to just not get it and pay the fines if / when caught....

I must stress that I DO pay my car insurance BTW, but my insurance costs me £650PA for the cars and £1,250 for the truck... If I was stopped and charged with no insurance on my car, I'd be looking at a £300 fine. In my truck the fine would be more like £600.
As you can see, as long as I only get stopped once a year, I'm quids in without insurance....

So, how many times have you been stopped in the last 12mts?

I am in NO WAY sudgesting you should stop paying insurance, I'm just thinking maybee the punishment for no insurance should be more harsh. Or, maybee we should do the same as some other countries and display the insurance details next to the TAX disc?

Captain_caveman
22-06-2003, 20:21
Originally posted by Morpheus
of course it pays, look at the little to55er who robbed Tony martin, he is now suing for injuries he got while doing the said deed...all the rubbish that B'liar gave us "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" he is always good for a laugh..
I agree, what happend to the rights of the victim (tony Martin) of the burgalry?
I say that if you choose to commit the crime then any rights that you may have had be revoked so if you trespass with the intent of burgalry as in this case, then anything that happens whilst they are attempting to commit the crime is their fault for attempting it rather than the victims fault for defending themselves. As long as it is within reason.

Ramrod
22-06-2003, 20:24
erm.....wtf?:confused:
I think I see whats happened:D ...and as for you Stewart....lol:D

Mal
22-06-2003, 20:26
Question...

Is it only me that this happened to? When I opened Bopdudes link, I was taken an item about the opening of the special Olympics in Ireland. From the previous posts, I got the impression that's not what Bopdude and the others are talking about.

Ramrod
22-06-2003, 20:27
Originally posted by Mal
Question...

Is it only me that this happened to? When I opened Bopdudes link, I was taken an item about the opening of the special Olympics in Ireland. From the previous posts, I got the impression that's not what Bopdude and the others are talking about.
*pi**ing myself here*:D ....ahem....sorry:), I have had a few

Mal
22-06-2003, 20:30
Originally posted by Ramrod
*pi**ing myself here*:D ....ahem....sorry:), I have had a few
Erm okay. I fell for a joke didn't I? :blush:

Ramrod
22-06-2003, 20:38
Originally posted by Mal
Erm okay. I fell for a joke didn't I? :blush:
less of a joke and more of some sort of a c*ck-up I think:confused:

punky
22-06-2003, 21:25
Originally posted by Stuart W
Car insurance....

Far too many people just don't bother with insurance as it works out cheaper to just not get it and pay the fines if / when caught....

I must stress that I DO pay my car insurance BTW, but my insurance costs me £650PA for the cars and £1,250 for the truck... If I was stopped and charged with no insurance on my car, I'd be looking at a £300 fine. In my truck the fine would be more like £600.
As you can see, as long as I only get stopped once a year, I'm quids in without insurance....

So, how many times have you been stopped in the last 12mts?

I am in NO WAY sudgesting you should stop paying insurance, I'm just thinking maybee the punishment for no insurance should be more harsh. Or, maybee we should do the same as some other countries and display the insurance details next to the TAX disc?

Not that lenient i'm afriad. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2975366.stm

12 points = a ban. With each offence at 6 points, and points expiring every 3 years, you could only survive a ban, just, by getting caught once every 2 years.

But lets just say you have an accident. The police are going to come down on you much harder then. And of course, what if you injur/kill the other guy, and he/his family sues you? Without your car insurance to pay for you, you would have to declare yourself bankrupt to wipe the thousands of pounds in debt from your name. I pay out a fortune for fully comp. insurance, but its nice to know that i've got no worries, come what may.

poolking
22-06-2003, 22:21
Originally posted by punky

12 points = a ban. With each offence at 6 points, and points expiring every 3 years, you could only survive a ban, just, by getting caught once every 2 years.

But lets just say you have an accident. The police are going to come down on you much harder then. And of course, what if you injur/kill the other guy, and he/his family sues you? Without your car insurance to pay for you, you would have to declare yourself bankrupt to wipe the thousands of pounds in debt from your name. I pay out a fortune for fully comp. insurance, but its nice to know that i've got no worries, come what may.

That is just plain lunacy.

Stuart W
22-06-2003, 22:57
Originally posted by punky

I wasn't trying to pormote the idea or even condone it in any way, just drawing atention to it.

Next time you speak to your insurer, ask them to chat to you about the ammount of uninsured drivers in the UK. It's realy quite scary!

Personaly, I couldn't drive my car un-insured.... just imagin how it must feel if you have an accident, totaly not your fault and you kill someone. Then imagin how it must feel thinking about it in a nice cosey JAIL CELL.

I think we should only get one chance un-insured, then a fixed custodial sentance. Harsh maybee, but it would get a shed load more people insured or off the road, either way, insurance would go down for us all :D

bopdude
22-06-2003, 23:42
You cant tell me that there are not 1000's of drivers ouy there already without insurance.. sorry but hawkers come to mind

Ikelos
23-06-2003, 08:38
not only no insurance, no road tax, no mot....and as said above, what happens when they are caught, the answer is,...not a lot.

Lord Nikon
23-06-2003, 08:52
you know.... the people more likely to drive without one or more documents are the ones without jobs...

someone I know of (and no, he was most certainly NOT a friend) demolished a pedestrian crossing on the way home from a pub.

The car was not taxed, had no MOT or insurance, and the guy was 5 (yes five) times the legal limit for blood alcohol when the police breathalysed him 2 HOURS later.

Add to that the fact he had 3 prior convictions for this in the US, and outstanding warrants over there, you would expect this to be taken into consideration.

He was fined £100 and sentenced to community service for this (70 hours), Plus he was banned for 2 years. Problem with this - If you are driving without insurance or MOT you are driving other than in accordance with your license. He drove to the community service, and to the pub after.

The moral to this? Not only do some people never learn, but the law doesn't always take things seriously until someone is dead, and at that point it is too late.

Stuart W
23-06-2003, 12:24
OMG! How pathetic is that??

just goes to prove ever more that we have courts of LAW not justice.

Ramrod
23-06-2003, 12:56
Originally posted by Stuart W
OMG! How pathetic is that??

just goes to prove ever more that we have courts of LAW not justice.
Thats Britain for you:(